Sign in to follow this  
barclay_canary

Referees and their shocking decisions.

Its come to my attention that Tottenham Hotspur has had their appeal thrown out against the red card that Robbie Keane recieved in the game against Birmingham City on Sunday.  I saw the incident and that was in no way a red card offence,  what makes this worse it the fact that the referee at the game, Phil Dowd, consulted the 4th official(Uriah Rennie) on the decision and was told to issue the red card.  Uriah Rennie has only passed his fitness test to officiate in the prem 2 weeks ago and has not been seen on the pitch at all this season.The rules were cleared up later that day on Sky sports by Richard Keys and Andy Grey.  the rules state that a 4th official should not get involved in any decisions on the pitch unless the Referee and his assistants(linesmen) did not see the offence in question,  The Keane incident was seen from 3 yards away by the ref, It was also shown on the same programme that Phil dowd also made a similar decision in a coventry match a week or so earlier. he cosulted the 4th official and was told to issue the red card for an elbow.  the replays showed no elbow or was unintentional in the arial challenge for the ball.  After the Spurs match the Referees association issued a statement saying that Dowd did not consult the 4th official.  but the TV pictures clearly show him doing this. isnt this a clear breach of the rules????The appeal was dismissed by the FA today and keene will miss the next 3 matches for nothing. Also the Brum player got up and apologised to keene and they shook hands. he thought he was to blame for the  50/50 tackle. the ball clearly changed direction off Keenes foot. IS this the state of referees today?  is this what football is about?  Does football have to rely on the poor judgement of a man with a whistle to decide the fate of a game? Phil Dowd clearly gifted Birmingham the win on sunday by reducing a far better and far stronger Spurs side to 10 men. The burning issue is that when Premiership quality referees make a complete mess of things in a match then they are sent to the Championship as punishment.  WHY? is this fair on the likes of our team Norwich City and the rest of this league to have sub standard officials demoted to our league. its a disgrace and and some needs to be done about the referees these days. not even Specsavers can svae the linesmen and there poor vision.. Shockin,  Another poor referee that should be thrown to the pub leagues.

its a joke that if they make mistakes in the prem and are deemed not good enough instead of being sacked they get shipped down to the championship, where is the sense in that. if they aint good enough for top flight why should they be deemed good enough anywhere else

Phil Dowd, consulted the 4th official(Uriah Rennie) on the decision and was told to issue the red card. 

Phil dowd also made a similar decision in a coventry match a week or so earlier. he cosulted the 4th official and was told to issue the red card for an elbow. 

I have read somewhere that Phil Dowd consulted the 4th official to tell him he was going to issue a red card and to be prepared for the backlash from the bench, I would have thougth it highly unlikely that he would have been guided from the touchline.

how many people on here are actually qualified refs and have taken charge of games? when you see something as a supporter it is always different to what the ref sees.  i am qualified and i have to say i was surprised otsemobor wasnt given a red for the tackle on halmosi as it was awful, but how many people come on here and praise refs? yes i agree some of them have big egos but when you watch a game without being a fan they do get most decisions right.

[quote user="baldyboy"]how many people on here are actually qualified refs and have taken charge of games? when you see something as a supporter it is always different to what the ref sees.  i am qualified and i have to say i was surprised otsemobor wasnt given a red for the tackle on halmosi as it was awful, but how many people come on here and praise refs? yes i agree some of them have big egos but when you watch a game without being a fan they do get most decisions right.[/quote]

like with Diouf then? ref standards in this country are a joke and untill they become full time then nothing will change

I just hope that the EPL does not turn into the NBA.  The NBA has had some awful referees in the past few years, and one was even nailed for gambling on NBA games.  While players like LeBron James are slowly bringing the NBA back from its dismal low point from last year (the worst-rated NBA finals in the past 10 years or so), I hope the EPL doesn''t turn in to a league where referees make themselves part of the show, rather than just officiate it.  Is there an officiating crisis going on, and is it on all levels?  I hope not.  

Maybe if the majority of Refs had played the game of football at a decent level and standard......They''d probably referee the game at a decent level and standard?[:|]

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]I just hope that the EPL does not turn into the NBA.  The NBA has had some awful referees in the past few years, and one was even nailed for gambling on NBA games.  While players like LeBron James are slowly bringing the NBA back from its dismal low point from last year (the worst-rated NBA finals in the past 10 years or so), I hope the EPL doesn''t turn in to a league where referees make themselves part of the show, rather than just officiate it.  Is there an officiating crisis going on, and is it on all levels?  I hope not.  [/quote]

The penalty decision ( and red card ) by Jakobsson in the Everton UEFA cup game today was atrocious. It could not have been clearer that the Zenit player not only did not handle the ball, but the player thrust his arms backwards to ensure that only the front of his body could come into contact with the ball. In other words it was so clear that the referee could only imagine he had seen an infraction. Even if he made a mistake and imagined or thought he saw something where was his line official who should have been able to give a perspective. Surely BOTH of them could not get it so wrong when it was so clear that handball did not take place. The result was that the Russian team had to play for more than an hour with ten men. A clear example of how football needs to get into the 21st century and, put some guidelines in place for video checks in very specific circumstances, rather than have such injustice take place.

[quote user="Optimisticcanary"]    Its come to my attention that Tottenham Hotspur has had their appeal thrown out against the red card that Robbie Keane recieved in the game against Birmingham City on Sunday.  I saw the incident and that was in no way a red card offence,  what makes this worse it the fact that the referee at the game, Phil Dowd, consulted the 4th official(Uriah Rennie) on the decision and was told to issue the red card.  Uriah Rennie has only passed his fitness test to officiate in the prem 2 weeks ago and has not been seen on the pitch at all this season.The rules were cleared up later that day on Sky sports by Richard Keys and Andy Grey.  the rules state that a 4th official should not get involved in any decisions on the pitch unless the Referee and his assistants(linesmen) did not see the offence in question,  The Keane incident was seen from 3 yards away by the ref, It was also shown on the same programme that Phil dowd also made a similar decision in a coventry match a week or so earlier. he cosulted the 4th official and was told to issue the red card for an elbow.  the replays showed no elbow or was unintentional in the arial challenge for the ball.  After the Spurs match the Referees association issued a statement saying that Dowd did not consult the 4th official.  but the TV pictures clearly show him doing this. isnt this a clear breach of the rules????The appeal was dismissed by the FA today and keene will miss the next 3 matches for nothing. Also the Brum player got up and apologised to keene and they shook hands. he thought he was to blame for the  50/50 tackle. the ball clearly changed direction off Keenes foot. IS this the state of referees today?  is this what football is about?  Does football have to rely on the poor judgement of a man with a whistle to decide the fate of a game? Phil Dowd clearly gifted Birmingham the win on sunday by reducing a far better and far stronger Spurs side to 10 men. The burning issue is that when Premiership quality referees make a complete mess of things in a match then they are sent to the Championship as punishment.  WHY? is this fair on the likes of our team Norwich City and the rest of this league to have sub standard officials demoted to our league. its a disgrace and and some needs to be done about the referees these days. not even Specsavers can svae the linesmen and there poor vision.. Shockin,  Another poor referee that should be thrown to the pub leagues.[/quote]This has been posted on the Spurs website regarding the decision.

John Alexander, the Club Secretary, has responded to the FA decision to uphold Robbie Keane''s three match ban.

"The Club has backed Robbie 100 per cent with his appeal and we are disappointed with the verdict.

"The

justification for upholding the referee''s decision makes no sense to

us, and if Robbie had been given an opportunity to attend - the current

rules do not give him any opportunity to attend at the hearing of his

appeal - we believe that the verdict would have been different.

"It

is frustrating for Robbie that he is now forced to miss three games

whilst players who committed similar, or in many cases, worse, tackles

at the weekend are free to play.

"We shall be writing to the FA to express our concerns." I have to agree at how true this is. and agree that there are far worse and purposfull tackles in the game that go unpunished.  Again can anyone expalin why Robbie was not allowed at his own appeal? maybe theres a cover up and conspiracy to protect phil dowd and Uriah Rennie. in the consultaion, as they cover up this incident and blatent breach of the rules.Theres been a lot of talk over the years about technology being used in the beautiful game.  well lets follow Rugby and Mic up the refs to explain their silly decisions,  this may bring a balance and some consistency to the decisions they make. and the games they cost clubs through silly rash and im gonna book you attitudes.   Goal line technology is also being discussed and even the Tv ref. they say that all these will interfere with the flow of the game.  well doesnt the referees do that now with needless whistle blowing and insistantly making sure the ball is moved and moved and moved again and again.