Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Bring back Lappin at LM

It''ll be Pattison

and Foz in the middle on Saturday with Russell''s suspension, but i''d also like to see

Lappin restored to left midfield. He had a great game in the reserves

and he''s been unfortunate to fall out of favour on account of his

performances at left back rather than left midfield where he has always

looked useful to me. He also gives more protection to the full back -

huckerby on the left of a 4-4-2 makes me increasingly nervous these

days. I''d like to see Hucks and Evans start up front. Although this deprives us of a target man, when we are playing confidently we can cope without a target man and concentrate on passing to feet and playing in what will be one of the paciest front pairings in the league. Then if we can get a lead or we need to change things, we can bring on Dion.

Unless there''s a plague of biblical proportions, I''d sleep pretty well if Lappin never even warmed the bench again.  Too slow, too lightweight and no bottle for a scrap.  At best, he should be third in the queue behind Huckerby and Pattison.

On a separate note, why not move Pattison into the middle and give Croft a start on the right?  Hucks on the right is just silly.

[quote user="YellowIce"]Lappin is better than Croft[/quote]

....at ''being Scottish'' maybe but that''s about it

lol Lappin better than Croft, okayyyyyyyyyyyyyy [:|]

Seriously Croft is stronger than Lappin on the ball, can get a shift on too and he''s not scared of taking the ball from another player.  Although Lappin plays good football he''s too weak, so  I personally think Croft should be in the starting line up, but that''s just my opinion, plus Crofty plays left or right.

You say he always looked useful in midfield but thats not right. There were plenty of games where he was anonomous and thats absolutely what we dont need at the moment.

When he arrived with Fotheringham most people thought he was the better player but look at the way Fozzy is up for a scrap compared with Lapin''s lightweight displays and lack of drive. It wouldn''t bother me if he left in January.

[quote user="Pieman"]

[quote user="YellowIce"]Lappin is better than Croft[/quote]

Are you mad?

[/quote]Maybe, but I agree with him.Lappin''s left foot is better than Croft''s right. He''s excellent at free kicks. It may be that he''s not up for a scrap, but I didn''t see that in the Ipswich game. He failed dismally against Plymouth, but then so did all the others. We''ll see if he fights for his place back, and if so we''ll all be better off. And I don''t agree that he''s slow, just as I don''t think that Croft is quick, or even Huckerby now.

Ha ha, aren''t opinions great! As someone says, everyone thought Lappin was the better player out of him and Foz - doesn''t that tell you everything? Opinions change. Many thought Roeder was a dubious appointment a couple of months ago, now he''s the man. Give it another few months and Lappin will be flavour of the month! X is better, Y is better, i never want to see Z in a city shirt again.... all opinions, all valid. Fact is, Lappin has a quality left footed delivery and we need the balance that brings, not to mention the fact that we don''t actually have anyone else who can cross a ball left footed (yes, drury included, not seen Camara yet). Yes he can be knocked off the ball a bit easily on occasions but he can improve on that. Croft on the left is not the answer. In my opinion, we do need Lappin and GR will keep him in Jan.

The critics may be right about Lappin''s general game, but there is no-one else in the club so accurate with crosses and free-kicks/corners. If we need a wide left player, then I would prefer him to Hux, who has a licence to roam. Whether he is better than Pattison, who seems to have faded a little after the bright beginning, I am not sure.There were games early on this season when crosses by Lappin seemed just about our only method of attack and our only threat. The arrival of Pattison and the re-emergence of Fozzy may have changed all this.

True A1Canary but opinions do change. . . at the Ipswich game Lappin was one of the players who really stood out of the whole 22, Corft i feel has yet to stand out in any game . . . .

Croft is not fast, has no vision and whilst he is stronger than Lappin he does not really have any of the qualities in abundance to be a winger.

So yes Lappin is better than Croft, at least for a wide man he can cross.

But each to their own . . . . .

lapps is too lightweight - came here as ''the best crosser in scotland'' and while i agree he has a sweet left foot, he doesn''t seem to use it to great effect in this league aka ''best crosser in the champs'' - nah, doesn''t stack up.  how to rate him? - he''s a winger, how many goals has he created??? (cue tumbleweed)  there''s your answer.  not that croft is great in this area either - although for once he got a great cross into the box tuesday only for curo to miss what was a sitter.  more of the same please, maybe roeder is getting through to the boy what he should be doing.  matty has created 3 goals since he''s been here - nuff said.fraid lapps has been sussed by roeder. as for fozzy - he gave the tired, lifeless display against plymouth that we got used to last season.  i doubted if he had the physique and stamina to perfrom well in the champs - this season a fitter fozzy is proving me wrong - just shows what hard work and application can do allied to some reasonable talent.  however, forget the BS - desire to win captaincy stuff - the bottom line is that  fozzy must play much better on saturday than he did on tues - consistency, especially when tired and jaded counts in this division where all the teams can beat each other on their day.

[quote user="YellowIce"]

True A1Canary but opinions do change. . . at the Ipswich game Lappin was one of the players who really stood out of the whole 22, Corft i feel has yet to stand out in any game . . . .

Croft is not fast, has no vision and whilst he is stronger than Lappin he does not really have any of the qualities in abundance to be a winger.

So yes Lappin is better than Croft, at least for a wide man he can cross.

But each to their own . . . . .

[/quote]

lol did you not see Crofty run from one side of the pitch to the other Tuesday night?  My god he was like road runner, or should that be roedrunner meep meep  [:P]

Lappin is a toughie - his set pieces are usually very good (and his only major strength) and for a period they were the only way we were looking likely to score - even with croft on the other flank.   He lacks pace but can defend and in midfield,  like pattison, gives us a better shape.  However like many this season his form has been variable from being impressive to lightweight and ineffective.  As a left back - when he has given his worst performaces (Ipswich apart) - he has been shocking. 

For me croft is more frustrating than Lappin.  Yes he has pace,  but too often he is a headless chicken,  ''roedrunning'' into blind alleys, putting crosses either behind touch or to no one in particular and failing to get involved enough in games.   For the first time in months on tuesday he actually put a good cross in and found his man - only for the shock of such a delivery forcing Cureton to blazeover [;)]   Defensively he is very lightweight despite working hard.  Chadwick is streets ahead for that right flank berth.

Of the two Lappin is the most effective,  his delivery of crosses is better,  I dont know the stats but I would happily bet that Lappin has more assists than croft despite playing roughly half the number of games, has scored just one less goal and contributes more effectively to the defensive effort. 

I think Roeder is well aware that both Lappin and Croft are only squad players - hence the use of Pattison on the left and Hux on the right; both used slightly out of position but still better than the pair under discussion. 

The options inthe middle are Brellier, Spillane, Smith or Pattison to replace Rusty;  I dont think it will be Spillane.  Likewise Smith I think is too similar to Fozzy. I am not sure whether Roeder prefers Pattison or Brellier.  as a straight swap I think I would go for Brellier and keep Hux and Pattison wide.  

If its Pattison then I would stick with Hux right and play Lappin in preference to Croft and use Croft as a sub,  as he seems to play better coming off the bench.

Having said that Chadwick is fit I would put him straight into the starting line up,  HUx left with a central pair fo fozzy and Brellier,  with croft and smith on the bench. 

[quote user="a1canary"]It''ll be Pattison and Foz in the middle on Saturday with Russell''s suspension, but i''d also like to see Lappin restored to left midfield. He had a great game in the reserves and he''s been unfortunate to fall out of favour on account of his performances at left back rather than left midfield where he has always looked useful to me. He also gives more protection to the full back - huckerby on the left of a 4-4-2 makes me increasingly nervous these days.

I''d like to see Hucks and Evans start up front. Although this deprives us of a target man, when we are playing confidently we can cope without a target man and concentrate on passing to feet and playing in what will be one of the paciest front pairings in the league. Then if we can get a lead or we need to change things, we can bring on Dion.
[/quote]This post sums up this board,full of people who know very little about football,as i have said before simon lappin would struggle to get a game for sheringham!

i think that lappin has a better delivery than croft but that is about it!!

i don''t paticularly rate either of them to be honest but croft is slightly better

chadwick and hucks on the wing please, i know hucks can''t defend but he is a massive threat on the left

[quote user="lobster catcher"][quote user="a1canary"]It''ll be Pattison and Foz in the middle on Saturday with Russell''s suspension, but i''d also like to see Lappin restored to left midfield. He had a great game in the reserves and he''s been unfortunate to fall out of favour on account of his performances at left back rather than left midfield where he has always looked useful to me. He also gives more protection to the full back - huckerby on the left of a 4-4-2 makes me increasingly nervous these days.

I''d like to see Hucks and Evans start up front. Although this deprives us of a target man, when we are playing confidently we can cope without a target man and concentrate on passing to feet and playing in what will be one of the paciest front pairings in the league. Then if we can get a lead or we need to change things, we can bring on Dion.
[/quote]This post sums up this board,full of people who know very little about football,as i have said before simon lappin would struggle to get a game for sheringham![/quote]

A bit harsh isn''t it? Surely what sums this board up is being full of people who have differing opinions about football.

Personally I''d have Pattison in the centre, Chadwick on the right, Hucks in a free role behind / alongside Evans with Lappin on the left on Saturday. As Lobster said, he''s been unlucky that he''s been judged on his performances as a make-shift left back.

[quote user="Hissing Sid"]

[quote user="lobster catcher"][quote user="a1canary"]It''ll be Pattison and Foz in the middle on Saturday with Russell''s suspension, but i''d also like to see Lappin restored to left midfield. He had a great game in the reserves and he''s been unfortunate to fall out of favour on account of his performances at left back rather than left midfield where he has always looked useful to me. He also gives more protection to the full back - huckerby on the left of a 4-4-2 makes me increasingly nervous these days.

[/quote]This post sums up this board,full of people who know very little about football,as i have said before simon lappin would struggle to get a game for sheringham![/quote]

A bit harsh isn''t it? Surely what sums this board up is being full of people who have differing opinions about football.

Personally I''d have Pattison in the centre, Chadwick on the right, Hucks in a free role behind / alongside Evans with Lappin on the left on Saturday. As Lobster said, he''s been unlucky that he''s been judged on his performances as a make-shift left back.

[/quote]

Oops, should have read A1 obviously!!!

[quote user="Hissing Sid"]

[quote user="lobster catcher"][quote user="a1canary"]It''ll be Pattison and Foz in the middle on Saturday with Russell''s suspension, but i''d also like to see Lappin restored to left midfield. He had a great game in the reserves and he''s been unfortunate to fall out of favour on account of his performances at left back rather than left midfield where he has always looked useful to me. He also gives more protection to the full back - huckerby on the left of a 4-4-2 makes me increasingly nervous these days. I''d like to see Hucks and Evans start up front. Although this deprives us of a target man, when we are playing confidently we can cope without a target man and concentrate on passing to feet and playing in what will be one of the paciest front pairings in the league. Then if we can get a lead or we need to change things, we can bring on Dion.[/quote]This post sums up this board,full of people who know very little about football,as i have said before simon lappin would struggle to get a game for sheringham![/quote]

[/quote]Thankyou Sid, although i think you mean it was me (a1canary) who said Lappin has been unfairly judged on his performances at left back, not lobster. Plus what you suggest is exactly the same as what i said at the top of the thread! Hucks and Evans up front is a risk - we''d have to resist all temptation for long balls from the back and play confident, to feet football and run the channels, but i think it''d be worth a go.As for you mr lobster, i don''t claim to know a huge amount about football management, that''s why i''m not a football manager and is why i enjoy sharing opinions with people on this board. If you have such knowledge, why not pass some on and tell us what team you''d like to see on saturday?

Lappin is far too slow to be a great Left Winger, he has a good left boot on him however.  He has a decent cross, corner and free kick on him.  Using football manager parlance, he is a squad player for the left midfield position, and he is a useful backup for left back. 

Croft has the pace and trickery but his final ball and shooting are often severely lacking in quality, his fitness also seems to be a problem at times.

I agree with ZLF, both Croft and Lappin are useful Squad players, nothing more at the moment.  Crofty, with his pace and trickery has the potential to be a far more dangerous player, if Roeder can improve him. 

Wo wo wo!! I play for Sheringham! We could do with him at LB though!

a1 canary,Simon lappin came to us from st.mirren if he was any good he wouldn''t have been playing for them.I don''t claim to be a football genuis but i have been watching norwich long enough to know the difference between a good and bad player.Lappin might have a sweet left foot but he dosn''t deliver the goods often enough.As for the team saturday i ain''t got a clue,my guess would be chadwick will come back in and pattison will move centre in russells place then again he might play breiller cos thats his postion,all i know is if he rated lappin he would have had him on the bench for the last few games.I think he will give cureton one more chance alongside evans bring dublin on with 20 mins to go if it goes pear shaped

Scored one and set up two more in the reserve game against Peterborough though.  I''m not a fan of his, but can accept he is a squad player.