Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Mark Fotheringham - 3 wins out of 4

Fozzy has been back for 4 games now, and weve won 3. His difference has been immense, and in my opinion he is the reason we are doing much better at the moment. Ive been saying all season the reason we were doing so badly was due to Fozzy''s absence and the fact that we were playing with 2 defensive midfielders who cant pass. This just doesnt work with Norwich''s style of play, high tempo counter attacking football. We werent utilising our attackers, Hucks, Croft, Cureton etc. Our best play is when we deliver quick passes out to the wings so that Croft and Hucks have space to attack. Without Safri and Fozzy this season it has taken an age to get the ball out to our wide players. By the time we had got the ball wide, Hucks et al was surrounded by defenders and our whole attacking emphasis collapses. The one difference Fozzy makes is the pace of our game quickens and the speed and variety of passing from midfield is so different. His game is creativity, and this is crucial to our whole attacking game plan, always has been. It was the same with Safri, he made us tick and the difference in our performance without Safri was noticeable.My point is i believe our recent upturn in fortunes has been down to Fozzy''s return, he makes us tick, almost like the missing component that makes an engine run, he''s our spark plug. But id like to know if you agree that Fozzy has been ''our saviour'' as i have put it in a previous post, or if its down to Roeder and the loanee''s. Probably a combination of all 3 really, but i cant help thinking that if we hadnt have had Fozzy back we wouldnt have won 3 of our last 4 games.OTBC

well we certainly missed him, i have aiways liked him.so im pleased people who may have judged players on there dislike of grant. rarther on what they do on the pitch. plus reoder is playing him in his best position center mid!

you could be right the stats look good!!!!!!!!!

one player doesnt make all of the difference, in my opinion it is the loan sighings that have made most of the difference (taylor, pattison and evans), yes he has improved but my god he isn''t that good.

last night we were fortunate and if it wasnt for marshall and evans we would have lost, fotheringham gave the ball away far too much last night and i still don''t rate him

The midfield were second best last night, if anything it was the defence and David Marshall that kept us in the game.  Too many passes went to a green shirt, or caused a loss of momentum in attacking play, some went out for throw-ins.  It was a scrappy game.  You could put this down to tiredness from 3 games in 9 days, but plymouth have had the same schedule.That said we won, and that''s something to be thankful for.

[quote user="Hughesy101"]

Mark Fotheringham Captain

haha what a joke

[/quote]

Ok, why is it a joke - new boss doesnt seem to think so?  People dismissed him last season despite his not being up to speed with the English game but there were flashes of promise even then (remember Sheff Wed away?).  He seems to have brought more balance to the midfield lately with some real help from Pattison and Rusty.

Besides, who would your suggestion for captain be then?

haha what a joke

[/quote]

you clearly didnt go last night did u??? or are u actually Andy Hughes and have sour grapes?

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Hughesy101"]

haha what a joke

[/quote]

you clearly didnt go last night did u??? or are u actually Andy Hughes and have sour grapes?

[/quote]

Perhaps his Moniker is a bit of a clue [;)]

haha what a joke

[/quote]

"Roeder said afterwards that it was his passion, determination and overwhelming desire to win that persuaded him to hand Fotheringham the armband."

Not sure how you can argue with that!

I have to say that I wasn''t that impressed with Fotheringham last night - whilst he might make a good captain off the ball, when he was on the ball he make bad decisions and his set pieces were dire. He looked weaker than Russell and there is plenty of room for improvement.

He''s been great since he came back in and I really like his attitude - he is the one geeing up the others and getting them going. Last night however i think he was a bit over excited at being captain and didn''t play with enough composure which meant he gave the ball away a lot. He also tried a lot of unecessarily difficult passes. But at the end of the day we won, he will get the rush of his debut as captain out of his system and I am sure he will play a lot better on saturday. He''s certainly the only midfield real passer of the ball we have left at the club so at the moment he''s worth his weight in gold.

[quote user="Norwich '' R '' Us"][quote user="Hughesy101"]

"Roeder said afterwards that it was his passion, determination and overwhelming desire to win that persuaded him to hand Fotheringham the armband."

Not sure how you can argue with that!

[/quote]

what and no one else has passion?

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="Hughesy101"]

haha what a joke

[/quote]

Ok, why is it a joke - new boss doesnt seem to think so?  People dismissed him last season despite his not being up to speed with the English game but there were flashes of promise even then (remember Sheff Wed away?).  He seems to have brought more balance to the midfield lately with some real help from Pattison and Rusty.

[/quote]

anyone but fotheringham he is **** poor and has been ever since he came here

haha what a joke

[/quote]

who would you have picked ?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Hughesy101"]

haha what a joke

[/quote]

[/quote]

After Cureton who was utter dross I''d say Fotheringham was our worst player last night.

[quote user="Hughesy101"][quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="Hughesy101"]

haha what a joke

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Your the only joke mate, you obviously dont go to Carrow Road do you. Fozzy was superb against Coventry and since he''s been back weve won 3 out of 4 games and looked a totally different team.

[quote user="Hughesy101"][quote user="Pboro_Canary"][quote user="Hughesy101"]

haha what a joke

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Come on mate, answer the question!  I don''t think Fozzy is the greatest footballer ever, nor do I think he is excellent captain material but who would you suggest as a genuine alternative? 

Dion is a natural leader but will not play enough, Huckerby has the experience but not the temperament, Rusty doesnt look a skipper to me, Drury had a go and is not available, Shackell doesn''t look up to the job, Ostemebor is a regular but falls into the same boat as Rusty, don''t think goalies should be captain so that rules out Marshall, Doc would be crucified, rest of current regulars are loans so presumably are out of the frame.

Looks increasingly like Hobsons choice to me, but if you wanna make a case for "anyone but Fotheringham" I would love to hear it.

I like Fozzy i think he''s a handy player to have in the side, i don''t think he should be captain, IMO that should be Dion and when Dion''s not starting Hucks... but theres no doubt in my mind that Fozzy deserves a spot in our first 11

Quote BarclayMan "Fozzy has been back for 4 games now, and weve won 3. His difference has been immense, and in my opinion he is the reason we are doing much better at the moment. Ive been saying all season the reason we were doing so badly was due to Fozzy''s absence and the fact that we were playing with 2 defensive midfielders who cant pass. This just doesnt work with Norwich''s style of play, high tempo counter attacking football. We werent utilising our attackers, Hucks, Croft, Cureton etc.

Our best play is when we deliver quick passes out to the wings so that Croft and Hucks have space to attack. Without Safri and Fozzy this season it has taken an age to get the ball out to our wide players. By the time we had got the ball wide, Hucks et al was surrounded by defenders and our whole attacking emphasis collapses. The one difference Fozzy makes is the pace of our game quickens and the speed and variety of passing from midfield is so different. His game is creativity, and this is crucial to our whole attacking game plan, always has been. It was the same with Safri, he made us tick and the difference in our performance without Safri was noticeable.

My point is i believe our recent upturn in fortunes has been down to Fozzy''s return, he makes us tick, almost like the missing component that makes an engine run, he''s our spark plug. But id like to know if you agree that Fozzy has been ''our saviour'' as i have put it in a previous post, or if its down to Roeder and the loanee''s. Probably a combination of all 3 really, but i cant help thinking that if we hadnt have had Fozzy back we wouldnt have won 3 of our last 4 games.

OTBC"

hes got the eye of the tiger