Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

McLaren and the England keeper

I am truly astonished at the way he handled this. Nothing but total and utter ineptitude. Any one of us could have done better last night. First of all, we know Robinson was wobbling from the moment he swung at fresh air after that back pass in Croatia. You wouldn''t neccessarily drop him for that, but he started making mistakes consitently in the games afterwards and McLaren would have been supported in replacing him with James, Green or Carson (less so!) at that point. But no, he was unwavering in his support for Robinson, he stuck with him with steely resolve! Which he subsequently bottled at the crucial moment, showing that instead of steely resolve, he was just a man who lacked courage in his convictions. What''s more, not only did he decide to change it now, for this one off, must win game, in atrocious conditions, he changed it for the youngest, least experienced of the only 3 possible candidates. I swear i''m not just saying this, but i really did believe that the decision would come back to bite him and that Carson would cock it up. And so it proved. I actually feel really sorry for Carson. He wants to play for England, of course he does, but how in the name of god was this the right game to bring him in? He wasn''t thrown in at the deep end. He was thrown in a deep hole. With no water in it. God only knows what Martin O''Neill wants to do to McClown now. Probably much the same as i do. I am so angry about it. And it compounds the way Greeno has been treated. I don''t believe Ray Clemence had anything to do with this decision because he always seems to have been a Green fan - i think it''s all down to McClown. What a fraud. And he''s gonna get 2 million quid for this debacle. How does that work? The FA are a total disgrace. Why they can''t add in to manager''s contracts that they will be subject to dismissal in the event of non-qualification for major competition, i don''t know. That way, no manager is going to argue over such a clause because they think we won''t qualify. Grrrrrrrrr, still so angry!!

Agreed.

Except the goal in Croatia was not Paul Robinson''s fault. A defender of the experience of Gary Neville should know that when passing back to the keeper you should always aim wide of the posts. It was a combination of this and a terrible bobble that caused the goal.

Sorry if I''m being thick but why is it that Green doesn''t get a go ? By the way the hole that Carson dug for himself  had lots of water in it..... as did the rest of the pitch !!

1/2 way thru the 1st half herself says Oh! this is like watching Norwich............ Although you would have to say Carrow Road has a lot better playing surface. From the pitch through the players to the manager to the FA the whole thing was a complete mess.

That green ''n'' yellow stock cube must be all white now with 3 lions on it........................