Sign in to follow this  
Hartsons Gut

Clubs must field at least 4 englishmen in starting 11.

They must have in my opinion at least 4 in the linup each week if we are to survive. For all the good that Arsene Wenger has done at Arsenal, they are all young foreign players appart from Walcott. Arsenal have fielded 1 englishman this season, which is very worrying.

When fully fit our starting 11 is the best in the business, but outside that 11 we are desparatly week and i blame people like Roman at Chelsea and all the big clubs. Do we not have good young english players in youth setups?

The FA now must make a stand and stop this before Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool ETC have not one english player. The national team has been let down by the FA, Manager, Tactics and youth structure in england.

The other argument is that it shouldn''t come down to nationality but down to merit. Why field a rubbish English player over a very good foreign player for the sake of having at least 4 English players in the team?

This is why the British Olympic Association are having trouble forming a GB Football team for London 2012 - England are happy to go with the idea but Scotland and Wales believe the team will be dominated by English players. It should be about how good each individual player representing GB is, not weather theres enough Welsh/Scottish/English players on the team.

the only team of the big four who is doing england justice is man u, carrick, scholes (although retired) brown, rio, rooney, hargreaves, foster and the other youth they have coming through.liverpool: crouch and gerrard, is pennant english? carson on loan at villaArsenal: walcottChelsea: j cole, terry, lumpard, SWP cole... the disaster that is bridge, anyone else?ok so maybe chelsea just about pass but arsenal and pool need to sort it out.

I have always believed this is a miss guided view on the lack of english quality coming through to major premiership quality. The FA let the nation down when they closed the national school of excilence at Lillishaw. All the major nations have a national school. Players like Henry and came from the french one. Wenger has already stated that the problem with english training is the club academies generally pick up the players at the age of 12/13. By this point you have had a majority of your football upbringing. Children below this age are trained by unqualified coaches. I remember at the age of ten when the majority of my training was running. Why does a ten year old have to work on their fitness? I should have been playing 5-a-side instead of 11-a-side untill i was 14 but the FA hold 11-a-side leagues from the age of ten. When Juninho came over he was horrified by the youth system, stating he didn''t play 11-a-side untill he was forteen. Then we question why other nations are so competent on the ball? It is obvious. It is because they are trained with the ball, to enjoy having possession, by qualified coaches. The idea of 10 year olds being trained to win a 11-a-side sunday league game instead of improving thier technique is what has let down this nation. We rely on complete raw talent. The FA need to review the coaching system of our youngsters and make coaching badges cheaper and more difficult. I wanted to become a coach but the first badge was £100 and it was only about how to pass the ball. The idea of playing players ahead of other players is bizzarre. If you look at Arsenal they have brought youth players through but they just aren''t good enough. There is too much to work on once we get them because the FA has let them down. Wenger brought through Sidwell (not getting a game at Chelsea), Bentley (good for a mid-table team), Pennant (maybe the most successful) but they just simply aren''t good enough to get into the Arsenal team. Pennant has played constantly for the last three seasons and hasn''t got into the England team so why should have Wenger played him more? he would not have been good enough. This argument covers up the deep cracks that are oh so clear in the youth policy in this nation

it should be 8 players.. 4 english players will just get put on the bench... 8 players means some of them will be put in the starting line up with the rest on the bench

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

it should be 8 players.. 4 english players will just get put on the bench... 8 players means some of them will be put in the starting line up with the rest on the bench

[/quote]

I did say in the starting 11 and not bench. I also think this would even up the premiership and make it even more competitive.

So we have to find 7 top quality foreigners ?? hahahahahahahaha HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OTBC

[quote user="Rush"]

So we have to find 7 top quality foreigners ?? hahahahahahahaha HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OTBC

[/quote]what ... no.thats why it says AT LEAST 4 english players ...

I think you may be on thin ice legally. Even if you can find a way round the EU legislation giving the right to work in any memebr state I would suggest you may as well tear up the Act of Union, lets put it this way there is no such thing as an English passport ....... whilst your aim is honourable, the world has moved on I suggest the real villans are excess money in the game and the lack of pride in playing for your national team that english players you could argue have demonstrated ....... A lack of English players at top clubs is at the root of the problem but that is not the fault of foreign players , it''s the TV money, the FA and the top England internationals ...... merely my humble opinion from the outside ....

I think this whole argeuement is just a shield for the real problem, the lack of quality comming through, Martin Samuels had a great article the other day about youth football, think of it this way, a 10 year old playing on a full size pitch, the goals are 3 times their height, the pitch 10 miles long...and the whole game is devoted to kick and rush football, or itd never make it up the pitch!

Watching the game last night, the Croatian players were so much more technically comfortable on the ball, got out of tight situations, and passed and moved, in England, every young player within sight of an opposition player is taught to get rid, rather than look for a good line of pass or hold onto the ball.

The simple fact is, if the english players are good enough, they will make it regardless of the foreign legion, infact, the better foreign players will bring them on further, by introducing a quota, you would basically be saying that our players arent good enough, therefore the quota is the easy option, why not infact solve the problem from the root, and train our youth to be more technically superior, two footed and comfortable on the ball.

Ignoring the legal issue about employment rights, insisting on 4 ENGLISH players in the starting line up would cause a lot of problems as the other home nations would be classified as non English. I believe that about 10 of our current squad would be affected by this ruling.

Is that really the problem, every body says that the premiership need to have more English players, well look at Brazil, Argentina etc, they have hardly any players in their respective leagues, the main problem is motivating them , coaching them etc, they all need a kick up the arse, we have enough decent players but what we lack are alternative plans, the know how and winning mental. Sort that out and we will have a decent team and a chance.

How about Redknapp for manager?

The F.A. must do something the whole structure of the game in this country needs to be looked at, its criminal that players come from over seas play in the prem. get good money, then come in and stuff us at internatinal level,for some its like a home game how many last night drove home from wembley,its killing our game.

[quote user="Rethinking the future"]Ignoring the legal issue about employment rights, insisting on 4 ENGLISH players in the starting line up would cause a lot of problems as the other home nations would be classified as non English. I believe that about 10 of our current squad would be affected by this ruling.[/quote]

Sorry i appologise as i didnt meantion the other home nations. Wales, Scotland, Ireland should be included in the 4 players. As long as though there are 4 UK players thats fine by me. English players are better than the other home nations anyway, so Scottish, Irish and Welsh players would probably not cause a problem.

''I think you may be on thin ice legally''.

County cricket have got around it with overseas player quotas for each team in place for next season.

The other fantastic benefit from such a system is that far more money will stay in the UK game rather than being dissipated around the world. This can only be good for the structure of the game from the top down.

It would never work in this country as how is a person english or scottish, nationally we are all British. Not as fair either really I guess. In the past most successful teams have had english, scots, welsh and irish in. Infact our promotion winning team had all these nationalities in.

no employment rules are broken.. u can sign as many foreign players to the club as u like,..... u can just only play 3 or 4 a week.... your still hiring and paying the others who dont play... no legal issue at all... its only peopel who dont want it brought in who mention it i think...

"It would never work in this country as how is a person english or scottish, nationally we are all British.

Ludicrous post - British citizens from the home countries would of course be exempt from any quota arrangement.

I seem to remember, before the flood of overseas players took place, there actually was an effective and workable quota system in the League. The perceived threat of EEC employment law meant it was rescinded. See my previous post in this thread re County Cricket for next season. If they can do it......

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

no employment rules are broken.. u can sign as many foreign players to the club as u like,..... u can just only play 3 or 4 a week.... your still hiring and paying the others who dont play... no legal issue at all... its only peopel who dont want it brought in who mention it i think...

[/quote]

Exactly how I envisage it Jas, apart from pissing off some foreign players, this is the way it would best work.