Sign in to follow this  
DDD In The Fine City

Wembely pitch, grass or swimming pool?

yeah really shocked. The forks only seem to go in an inch....... how much was that place.....£800m?

totally agree, the spiritual home of football destroyed by American flippin football!  The whole world is watching this, can''t believe we had the gall to criticise the plastic pitch in Russia!

[quote user="Salahuddin"] The whole world is watching this.....[/quote]Very funny.....

The pitch is symptomatic of what is wrong at the highest level of English football.  The NFL match was what, 2 weeks before the biggest game England had to play for 2 years ?  Surely someone must have twigged that if you have an American football match on a football pitch, it would get ripped to shreds ?

Even after the NFL match, they still had 2 weeks that they could have used to switch the game to Old Trafford or the Emirates stadium ?

Mind you, if we''d have played them at the Emirates or Old Trafford, we''d have been torn to shreds even more.  A decent pitch would have given them a greater advantage.

Just heard that someone who watched Croatia practicing on the pitch said that they were painting some of the pitch green so that it didn''t look so bad - so goodness know what it was like before, because all I could see last night was gridiron markings!

Very ignorant to blame the pitch on the NFL, I shall explain.

People with half an eye for detail and some sort of ability to recall those details from their memory will remeber seeing the pitch get torn up during the England U21 match the first time it was used, and then every time after. Commentators have mentioned this many times, but they convinently forgot about this when they blamed it on the NFL last night.

The NFL game was 24 days before the Croatia match, not 2 weeks as stated above, I don''t think it is unreasonable to schedule sporting fixture''s 24 days apart and expect the pitch to be in anything other than A1 condition. If you take the time to look at an NFL pitch on SKY tonight (22/11/07) you will see that they are all in a better state than Wembley was prior to the Croatia match, and these games will probably have had 7 or 8 games played on them since the begining of August.

This one is really basic, there are such things as weather forecasts, why not cover the pitch when the rain starts maybe with something like a large tarpaulin (spelling???) and allow that water to be pumped or drained away. They cover the pitch up in tennis and cricket why can''t they do it at Wembley???

The drainage is clearly awful, and they have a roof that doesn''t close fully, why not??? They used £800 million and started the stadium from scratch perhaps they cocked up???

From that I think that it is sufficent to say that a 3 hour NFL game isn''t the reason for the pitch being like that.

Yes, I am an NFL fan

[quote user="Steve H"]

People with half an eye for detail and some sort of ability to recall those details from their memory will remeber seeing the pitch get torn up during the England U21 match the first time it was used, and then every time after. Commentators have mentioned this many times, but they convinently forgot about this when they blamed it on the NFL last night.

The NFL game was 24 days before the Croatia match, not 2 weeks as stated above, I don''t think it is unreasonable to schedule sporting fixture''s 24 days apart and expect the pitch to be in anything other than A1 condition. If you take the time to look at an NFL pitch on SKY tonight (22/11/07) you will see that they are all in a better state than Wembley was prior to the Croatia match, and these games will probably have had 7 or 8 games played on them since the begining of August.

This one is really basic, there are such things as weather forecasts, why not cover the pitch when the rain starts maybe with something like a large tarpaulin (spelling???) and allow that water to be pumped or drained away. They cover the pitch up in tennis and cricket why can''t they do it at Wembley???

The drainage is clearly awful, and they have a roof that doesn''t close fully, why not??? They used £800 million and started the stadium from scratch perhaps they cocked up???

From that I think that it is sufficent to say that a 3 hour NFL game isn''t the reason for the pitch being like that.

Yes, I am an NFL fan

[/quote]I stand corrected.  Cheers Steve !

[quote user="Steve H"]

Yes, I am an NFL fan

[/quote]

AGREED, who you support by the way? im going to nfl in dec-jan to watch giants v pats and redskins v cowboys - but im gutted i miss my mighty wolves play norwich away, least one way if wolves win you wont have me gloating n if they lose i wont be hear to take the numerous amount of stick im probably due lol

The pitch was in a shocking state last night. Lack of drainage, huge bald and muddy patches, and it looked pretty hard too. For such an expensive stadium to have such a poor playing surface is unforgivable. Especially for such an important match.

But you have to say that the England team can''t blame the surface as Croatia seemed to do alright on it.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]

The pitch was in a shocking state last night. Lack of drainage, huge bald and muddy patches, and it looked pretty hard too. For such an expensive stadium to have such a poor playing surface is unforgivable. Especially for such an important match.

But you have to say that the England team can''t blame the surface as Croatia seemed to do alright on it.

[/quote]

Yes Croatia played great on it...............we looked like very ordinary at best, its always the same with England.

OTBC

Jacksonville, so it''s not been a bad year so far, can''t see anything except the Patriots beating the Cowboys or Giants in the Superbowl, I''d love to see them go undefeated as much as I love an underdog, I also do like to see great teams achieve great things and I really think they can do it.

It looks like you''ve picked two great games, Redskins vs Cowboys is a good rivalry and you''ve a decent chance of seeing some history made in the Patriots vs Giants game, enjoy them!!!

[quote user="Steve H"]

Yes, I am an NFL fan

[/quote]

im an NFL fan too! Go Patriots! Bill Cowhers facial expressions during Games are nothing short of hilarious!

Wembleys pitch was rubbish for 1 reason and 1 reason alone.. the ground staff! if they had done their job properly the pitch wouldnt of had that problem... itys not just the NFL game... its Rock Concerts, under 21 games and many other events that made the pitch crap... i thought it was a similar pitch to carrow road? if so how the hell did it look like that? the Wembley ground staff should all be sacked for allowing it to get to that level so quickly...

by the time the Cup final rolls round there wont be any grass left on it.

jas :)

[quote user="Steve H"]

Jacksonville, so it''s not been a bad year so far, can''t see anything except the Patriots beating the Cowboys or Giants in the Superbowl, I''d love to see them go undefeated as much as I love an underdog, I also do like to see great teams achieve great things and I really think they can do it.

It looks like you''ve picked two great games, Redskins vs Cowboys is a good rivalry and you''ve a decent chance of seeing some history made in the Patriots vs Giants game, enjoy them!!!

[/quote]

hopefully steve they will be good,

im hoping pats are 15-0 into game so play strong side, dont want giants resting players for wildcard weekend, redskins be great if they pick up n can sneak in playoffs some good games proper excitied! what made you pick jaguars? least you choose right team in florida lol

as to why its called football? your guess is as good as mine

[quote user="Steve H"]

[/quote]

The Superbowl script has already been written Steve. It''s the Patriots against Green Bay Packers. Everything else is just going through the motions.

Steve H is spot on, the surface has never been right.  I went to the Blackpool/Yeovil playoff final in May and it reminded me of that awful Ip**** pitch which used to ruck up like a carpet.

The new Wembley sums up everything that''s wrong with the way English football is run.  A stadium that they''ll probably never pay for that looks better empty than full and a pitch that seems like an afterthought.  Posh loos though, thought I was in a nightclub. 

The Millennium Stadium is miles better in every respect.  How much did it cost, about £100m I believe.

I first got into NFL back in ''96,  like most people by watching it on channel 4, my brother was already into it and he eventully got me interested, at that point the playoffs that year had just started and I took a shine to Jacksonville after seeing them squeeze past Buffalo and then pull out a shock result @ Denver, both awesome games. Also my brother is a Dallas fan I really wanted them to meet in the Superbowl. I also liked Mark Brunell as well, very similar to Steve Young in his style.

Hoping to go over to the states one day myself and catch some games, but it''s very much a money thing. That said with the exchange rate as it is now is a great time to go.

Never mind why is it called football, who elected Dallas as America''s team??? When do they get re-elected?

Thanksgiving matches now started on SS1.

I''ve sent an email to Wembley Stadium asking why the roof wasn''t used surely the point of having a roof is to use it when the weather is bad and the pitch isn''t in great condition.

[quote user="Steve H"]

I first got into NFL back in ''96,  like most people by watching it on channel 4, my brother was already into it and he eventully got me interested, at that point the playoffs that year had just started and I took a shine to Jacksonville after seeing them squeeze past Buffalo and then pull out a shock result @ Denver, both awesome games. Also my brother is a Dallas fan I really wanted them to meet in the Superbowl. I also liked Mark Brunell as well, very similar to Steve Young in his style.

Hoping to go over to the states one day myself and catch some games, but it''s very much a money thing. That said with the exchange rate as it is now is a great time to go.

Never mind why is it called football, who elected Dallas as America''s team??? When do they get re-elected?

Thanksgiving matches now started on SS1.

[/quote]

depending where u go and where u sit (and which team u see) its cheaper than a league 1 game t get into some stadiums.. Arizona for example, cheapest seats are $12.. thast £6!

jas :)