Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Norwich and Norfolk - An Exercise In Boredom

"Sounds like anywhere else in England". Precisely BES, which is probably why, regarding friend morty''s reference, the Victor Meldrew character was developed there.

Thank you all so much for this thread. Its great to see a bit of fire in people''s bellies and some life on here during the close season.

YC is only citing stereotypes as we all know. Those of you who still live in Norfolk are truly lucky (work has meant I have had to move away) and know that what he has said may have had some foundation in the past but isn''t a reflection on the way things are now. I suspect YC was being sarcastic so dont take it seriously as he was trying to provoke a reaction. Those who did react are aware already that Norwich is the best place in the world to live - so be secure in that knowledge. YC is also entitled to his (odd) opinions too. Personal insults are one thing but accusing him of being a Binner is really below the belt.

I was disappointed YC slated DD who is a true pillar of this board. YC, understand that although DD posts a lot, his posts are well informed and considered and written in a concise and generous way. His quick reaction to almost any topic is an indication of not only the time available to him but that he has something worthwhile to add and is eager to do so. DD should be encouraged not insulted simply because he has much to say.

Keep at it DD - I look forward to your 1000th post.
YC - I enjoy your posts too - generally because of the reaction they provoke (I hope you are being sarcastic here - as you seem to have offended rather than entertained) but criticising DD is unacceptable.

Thank you all so much for this thread. Its great to see a bit of fire in people''s bellies and some life on the board during the close season.

YC is citing stereotypes as we all know. Those of you who still live in Norfolk are truly lucky (work has meant I have had to move away) and know that what he has said may have had some foundation in the past but isn''t a reflection on the way things are now. I suspect YC was being sarcastic so dont take it seriously as he was trying to provoke a reaction. Those who did react are aware already that Norwich is the best place in the world to live - so be secure in that knowledge. YC is also entitled to his (odd) opinions too. Personal insults are one thing but accusing him of being a Binner is really below the belt.

I was disappointed YC slated DD who is a true pillar of this board. YC, understand that although DD posts a lot, his posts are well informed, considered and written in a concise and generous way. His quick reaction to almost any topic is an indication of not only the time available to him but that he has something worthwhile to add and is eager to do so. DD should be encouraged not insulted simply because he has much to say.

Keep at it DD - I look forward to your 1000th post.

YC - I enjoy your posts too - generally because of the reaction they provoke (I hope you are being sarcastic here - as you seem to have offended rather than entertained) but criticising DD is unacceptable.

Afternoon DL, I couldn''t agree with you more - Norfolk, or Norwich in particular, is the best place in the world to live. I am also jealous of those lucky enough to still be there, despite not being Norfolk born and bred (from Cambs originally) - the 7 years I spent living in Norwich were truly wonderful, and I hope one day to return.

Norwich is one of the most vibrant and welcoming cities I have had the good fortune to visit, and I think YC needs a trip there to update his fading stereotypes!

Still no sign of Templeton jnr, by the way!

Afternoon Temp, I hope everything is well with Mrs Temp and (not being an expert) expect it will just a matter of waiting now. Perhaps jnr is waiting for NW to make a signing before making his/her own appearance!

Sorry for dragging this thread up again, but I''d just like to reply to Herb if I may. I know it isn''t worth a great deal, but I''m extremely sorry for calling you a bigot, and the associated political labelling. I was just slightly annoyed and in the heat of the moment I banged off my post without thinking. I wouldn''t say I''m of a delicate disposition (well, not too much!), but I just felt that an attack on YC''s adopted (?) country was uncalled for - this was made all the more, for want of a better word, poignant, by the fact that I''ve got a lot of family in America. In hindsight, however, I see you were reciprocating YC''s daftness with some justification

Once again, my sincerest apologies, and no offence was intended.

PS. Scotty, I suggest we stick to Binner-bashing: much more entertaining!

Excuse me Mello Yello but if we are going to end the thread I''d like to make a few comments seeing as I started the thread.
Let''s see if I''ve got this right. To start the thread I asked a few questions ( of course, I do so in my cutting style ) which were not statements or personal attacks on any individual. This was whether certain things that were factual at a point in time ( my opinion ) still exists and, if so, concluded this may be why so many people turned out for the great celebration.
DD is the first to respond, not by answering any question, but by telling me he''s glad I left and good riddance ( I corrected the spelling for you DD ).
FatMan Fat calls me a schizophrenic, while at the same time ACCUSING ME of personal attacks. He is probably mostly motivated by the fact that, on another thread, I pointed out his ego was showing when he waxed eloquent on his management style, for all intents and purposes claiming it as being superior to Nigel''s as it relates to the Zema Abbey situation. I thought FatMan''s ego needed deflating and said so.
Herb, not content with berating me, decides to tar the whole of the USA with the same brush.
At last calls me a prat.
1st Wizard feels compelled to start another thread identifying DD and myself as the subjects but clearly stating one of his two objectives is to upset me, and goes on to say DD should post as often as likes. Of course DD should generate whatever volume he wants ( although I stand by my opinion previously stated ) and, I agree, he is a good and interesting poster. All I suggest is look at the sequential input. DD was the first one to get personal and I reacted ( admittedly with a dig ). My message was far less nasty than DD''s ( I think my suggestion was constructive actually ).
Others called me silly and daft. One stated they groan at the sight of any post from me. Despite all of this the thread attracts almost 800 hits, which suggests to me that we must collectively be bored silly. OTBC!!!

YC: You can''t keep moving the goal posts like this my friend!. On one post you''re telling me I''m too nice towards you, and asking me to rough it up a bit. And now your moaning about me again. Make up your mind, I have''nt been rude to you for ages, but let me know what you prefer and try sticking to it, yes?.

I''m exactly like you Wizard. I like doing what I like because, to use your quote on another thread, I can. As far as moving the goal posts, don''t you remember when we were kids and playing soccer in the park. Two jackets down at one end and two at the other for goalposts. If one team was stronger than the other it was not unusual to see the space between the jackets narrowing. Possibly you came from a better neighbourhood than I did and behaved as gentlemen, but I love remembering the good old days.

I see your point YC of how it was your thread but aren''t we just going over old ground here? Everybody has given their two cents, people have said things which, in the heat of the moment, they regret. Lets move on to more nicer topics of conversation. We have an excellent morale on this board, lets not spoil it

Thats the problem with our Colonial friend...he says one thing in one post and then something completely different in another. He even contradicts himself in some single posts. That being so, if his posts are for real then they are disjointed in the extreme. If they are an attempt at a wind-up then they are crap because there is no continuity in his "arguement". That being so I think schizophrenic is an apt description, as the only other explanation would be childishness.

Aarrrgghhhhhh, he called it soccer!!!!!!! It''s football, it was invented in England and it''s not called soccer, understand Meldrew??

Sincere apologies morty. It''s difficult when you are surrounded by terminology in one country not to slip up when crossing over. Also, please feel free to call me Victor...we''re all friends on here.

FGE, very gracious of you and I appreciate it.
I''m guilty of firing off posts without reading them through myself - who isn''t? (a good example being my first reply in this thread)

Not sure I understand this last message Herb. Are you, in fact, changing your opinion on me and extending goodwill, or are you welcoming the United States back into the human race, or both?

Shall we turn this post into a "mini series"? It''s been going on long enough!. Getting somewhat boring now, it''s like a load of opposing MP''s trying to score political points off each other. Roll on the "soccer" season, so we can talk about the price of bacon, bread, world finance and petrol etc, etc: "What the h#ll am I talking about?" "Can you see what this board is doing to me"!?

Will we be discussing "Phil Keenan''s" mini-bus trips on this board in the not to distant future?.

(For those who are baffled to whom Phil Keenan is, you need to visit the NCFC official message board!) Perhaps you shouldn''t on second thoughts........Although it''s certainly not boring! immature on the odd occasion, but not boring!.

I''ve not been on for a while and thought this three page saga may have the same amusing eccentricity that featured in other longer threads such as ''cheeseboard'' (add your own extra e''s as you feel appropriate) but instead found the most dullest of dull things started by Yankee Canary just dragging on and on. If he is truly an expat from Norfolk was he deported by the locals because of his buffoon like level of self importance, his complete lack of a sense of humour, the dirigible amounts of hot air he spouts or just for being very, very dull? From my own local knowledge I know that all these have been at least burning offences in Norwich and District for centuries, so perhaps he got off lightly by just being asked to leave.

NMTDick

QUOTE:
"Not sure I understand this last message Herb."

Why does that not suprise me?
Just let it die, this thread has been given the last rites several posts ago.

The question remains on the table Herb. If you refuse to answer, all you need to do is just say that. You''re the one with the unfinished thought. There''s no need to digress or be obnoxious. When you said you wish you had read your note more carefully before posting what would you have preferred to change? It''s a fair question. As for the comments from Mello Yello and shortfabb ( or any one else for that matter ) regarding this thread being tired, you are not required to click on this thread. The question was not directed to you in any event.

Question remains on the table? WTF do you think this is, the house of commons?
Incidentally, if you take the time to read it, you''ll see my post was not directed at you, it was a reply to FGE.
It neither asked for or required a response from yourself.
Couldn''t resist it though, could you?

I''m not paranoid!..... Although I did have to stop playing rugby, because every time they had a scrum I thought they were talking about me!.

This is getting quite vindictive and personal now, and we''re not heading in the right direction are we?. I''m not adopting the "holier than thou" attitude, but personal attacks on this forum aren''t constructive, productive or sensible. The content is not very pleasant, and it is getting a little "bitchy". I really enjoy this site, although courting controversy, and wanting to have the last word (amongst intelligent mature posters), is not my idea of fun!. If folk have a dig at me, so what! it doesn''t affect my wage packet or give me sleepless nights!.

There are a nucleus of "hardened veteran posters" on this site, and there are also some new posters, and what must they make of all this campaign of friction and verbal fisticuffs?.

C''mon everyone, we are the Champions! and have next season to whet our appetites!.

I''ll get the missus to bake a large humble pie, anyone fancy a slice?. (Hopefully before my sons devour it all).....OTBC

Oh don''t spoil it Mello Yellow!, I''ve been enjoying all this YC bashing!. Vindictive and spiteful at times yes, but he''s been long overdue for it.

I love free speech, within certain limits, and trust me on this, old WC, sorry YC can take it, and give it, just as well as the next poster.

As we''re all killing time just waiting for the big kick off, its harmless, ego building stuff, let it run its natual course, and remember you don''t have to read it.

As for myself, I have''nt really joined in as such with this lively thread, but its giving me a bit of a laugh, but then maybe I should get a life, savy!.