Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Norwich and Norfolk - An Exercise In Boredom

The thread " Is Anyone Else Bored" prompted my recollections of Norwich and Norfolk before I left for more exciting pastures. Do the people shopping in the city centre still hurry along on their way to nowhere while mimicking Olympic walkers, shaking their heads in displeasure at anyone who gets in their way? Is the new generation of men carrying on the tradition of "out for a pint" on Sunday lunchtime without inviting the female half along? Is getting a glass of water in a restaurant still regarded as a nuisance by the working staff? Do the young people still loiter near pubs on a Saturday night hoping a coach will stop with out-of-town visitors to liven things up? Does the trip to the seaside with the hope that something may have changed still end up with disappointment? Is the format of the Eastern Evening News still much the same, shackled by decades gone by? Do the shops still advertise "Sale" signs while behaving in a manner that is oblivious to competition? Mmmmm....no wonder 50,000 people turned out to celebrate Norwich City''s championship season.

Well well well, just as I am perhaps getting a little bored of there being no footy to talk about along comes the yankee with a patronising and arrogant thread to poke me awake! I''ve lived all over the place, abroad included, and I wouldn''t swap Norfolk for anywhere. Apart from maybe the canary islands and then only in Norwich City re-located there with me. And just for the record we have moved on a bit here since you last visited yankee, was it the 1800''s?

My sentiment is particularly directly related to young people such as yourself DD. Given your strike rate, you spend far too much time on this message board. Get a more balanced life.

I really am beginning to see you as a Victor Meldrew type of character Yankee, if you even know who he is!!??

The words ''stones'', ''glass'' and ''houses'' spring to mind Yank. If where you live now is so exciting how come you have time to come on here and slag of Norfolk?

To answer your questions- No. No. Not in my experience. Things don''t need livening up around Riverside these days. No. Don''t know what you mean. Are you feeling alright?

"you spend far too much time on this message board. Get a more balanced life."

... as the Pot said to the Kettle

Yankee,

You know absolutely NOTHING about me, nothing at all. Don''t come on here and patronise me. I really like this board and thoroughly enjoy posting. For your information I have a perfectly balanced life. I have some fantastic friends both at uni and at home, a good social life, a darling of a girlfriend, I play sport and have a job for the summer. My family is fantastic and I don''t need someone like you to tell me to "get a more balanced life"

I presume your mail was a wind up Yankee Canary, so I won´t bother with my normal tirade justifying why you live in a country which is in a state of cultural and moral vacuum.

I think the fact that you have gone to the trouble of starting such a ridiculous thread indicates that YOU are the bored one with too much time on your hands Yankee.

ROFL ......... yep ....Norwich and Norfolk are sooo boring that we get hordes of tourists coming in so they can be bored to death :o) ........ by the way Yankee Canary , IF you live in the states , would you like to tell us which part .. Hmm ? or is it too boring to mention ?

I hope achieving your goal of winding people up has brightened your day up Yankee. Nice to see you have thoroughly absorbed the local culture when it comes to international relations!

Im now off to meet some friends in a lovely old traditional pub by the river, to enjoy some fine ales whilst watching the footy. The sun is shining, life doesnt get any better.....;-)

LOL.
What a wind up! I really hope no one took this post seriously, it was such an obvious fabrication. Yankee was obviously bored (what with the time difference as well) that he thought he''d try to get a few people going. As for me I still love going home and try to do at least a month a year, and will never sell my house on the broads as it is for me still home. And as Yankee knows only too well the States has its problems, the film "Bowling for Columbine" neatly sums it up. Also the Caribbean is not all it''s cracked up to be, hurricane season starts next week! and doesn''t finish ''till November. More importantly I''m hopefully getting over to St. Kitts to see N.Ireland next week, I know that''s not like seeing all the lads but a 5th of the team is better than none at all!
P.S. Still hugely jealous of not being at the celebrations and if I get one more e-mail from a mate telling me how great it was............I KNOW!!!!!!!!!!

Ho hum! Yaaawwwnnn......What to do now?. Certainly can''t be bothered to reply to this thread, it''s soooo-boring.....Think I''ll watch some american football or baseball, it always cures my insomnia...."Toodle Pip"! and "God bless America"!

Defensive - yes Yank - it''s called pride in where we live - true pride - do you have that where you live Yank - I mean ''true'' pride not glossy, over the top, diatribe. Hmmm ....no thought not. You really need to get a life you know , do you have friends, or is revelling in causing offense on a forum, meant for football fans, your only kick?

Relax DD most people will read you posts way before that YC prat.

Proud of Norwich proud of Norfolk.

We have all been lured - YC is alive and well and not actually living in the USA at all. He is an Ipswich fan who is to be seen on matchday at Portaloo road, an out of date Town shirt two sizes too small and not actually able to cover his more than ample belly, a baseball cap turned round the wrong way and a denim jacket with lots of badges sewn on just like those nurdish plane - spotters!

Yankee, i like DD, am a young student at uni and your comments on here are obviously an act to stir the cattle. It is almost impossible to attend uni and not have a balanced lifestyle, having time to spend while at uni is a luxury. and as for your comments about norwich, boredom - not a chance, so much activity and lifestyle. Obviously you are old and bitter that we are all here to experience the glory of promotion and the atmosphere in norwich, while you sir are not.

damn & dash it,bloody colonials stirring up the old pot,what!!I have a strange feeling that the embittered yank is probably a crack dealer living in an inner city project who''s smoked to much of his merchandise!!DD I really wouldn''t worry about him ,the phrase plot and lost spring to mind. go back on the cheeseboard link...much more like reality!

no probs DD, i know what uni is like (just finished my first year) obviously yank is jealous of the youth and our enthusiasm

Ah, the schizophrenic YC. The one who leads such a "balanced life" in the USA that he has 120 plus posts on a UK forum?? The one whose life is presumably so lacking in content that he resorts to making personal attacks on said forum, and not for the first time. The one who doesnt realise that sarcasm is not wit.

Yeah, the same YC who thinks Norwich should merge with Ipswich!
He''s been a wind up from day one, rarely has anything good to say about our team and I''m sure he''s a closet binner.
In fact his adopted country has a lot in common with the scum.
An over inflated sense of their own importance, delusions of grandeur and blaming everyone but themselves when things go wrong.
Yep, the US deserves YC and he deserves the US.

So, YC writes an admittedly silly post and some members of the forum then go and indulge in that oh-so clever hobby of America-bashing. To be honest, I doubt the likes of Herb have ever even been to America, choosing instead to rely on the anti-American rhetoric published by the media as the basis for their ''informed'' views.

>An over inflated sense of their own importance, delusions of grandeur and blaming everyone but themselves when things go wrong

My, how clever of you young Herb. You can be a left wing bigot as well as a ''friendly'' Canaries supporter!

As it happens I don''t consider myself to be any sort of wing, but if you feel better putting labels on people then so be it.
I don''t rely on any sort of media either, I''m better informed than that. The words "rely" and "media" don''t really sit well together, don''t you think?

You acknowledge the silliness of YC''s post, yet you attack me for directing a little silliness back in his direction. Strange, no?
Given that my sort of response is probably exactly what he was looking for I admit I shouldn''t have indulged, but I suppose it could be considered therapy for him.

But if only opinions which praise America are acceptable to your delicate disposition, well I think you might find the world a rather hostile place over the next few years.
I also don''t think its anyones place to be labeling someone a bigot based on an off the cuff comment on a forum.
Thats just me though.

Herb

Hello Yankee... you really score 10 out of 10 for making people really pissed off...but hey what you have described sounds like anywhere else in England!!!