Sign in to follow this  
King Juan of Spain

The case for Ian Murray-the case against Shacks

Before I start, I''d make a polite request that for once, this doesn''t descend into a bitch about Grant''s signings, the board''s lack of this, that or the other or how much you all hate each other.So.Jason Shackell really doesn''t look like he can cut it at the moment. Of course he has his good points, but his composure in important areas of the pitch has been found wanting for some time. His passing is really not up to scratch and he looks like he''s reached a plateau. He looks like he needs some time away from the pressure, to work with a good coach who can rid him of his bad habits and train him to trust the ball a bit more. Until then, there will always be an air of ''calamity'' about him - especially noticeable when he''s alongside Doc, masked only slightly by the calmness of Taylor.That''s why Ian Murray could be just who we need. Forget past performances - every single player was rubbish before Grant left - and stick him in at left centre back. He''s experienced, knows how to mix his game and - importantly for Roeder''s theory of pushing the back four up - can pass the ball.Reports from Rangers fans say that he''s always been a great tackler and passer when played in central midfield but his vision with the ball is better used at the back. He hasn''t looked dreadful for us, and he''d balance nicely with Taylor. Worth a try?

Yeah maybe. I''m quite a fan of Shacks...strong, good in the air and a good tackler but his distribution is often questionable and I agree that his composure on the ball is suspect. The positives for Murray is that he reads the game well and seems quite composed, however I feel he lacks a bit of genuine pace. If i had to choose i''d just plump for Shacks..however with 5 centre halves to select from tomorrow it will be interesting to see who Roeders preferred pairing will be.

[quote user="shropshire canary"]Can tell none of you went to Plymouth - I know Murray played at centre-mid but he was truly shocking that afternoon, and that''s post-Grant era.[/quote]

I went to Plymouth and agree Muray was shocking that afternoon.

I also went to Wolves and he was poor that afternoon when at left-back. Mind you Lappin wasn''t any better 2nd half!

He came to us as a versatile all-rounder but i hope to never see him in midfield or left-back ever again and he''s behind Doherty, Dublin and Shackell for centre defence.

Murray has had a poor start to his time with norwich but so have many others.I think that many performances from many players has been very poor hence the results and league table.Shacks has had many burdens this season ,no costant partner to work with, left back problems without drury ( who was being condemed by many a few weeks ago) a midfield that has not been there most weeks and learning the roll of captain, so now is the time to take a look and judge.The team with the loans on paper looks more balanced, players in correct positions for once.Lets see who roder picks this weekend I think that shacks will start and murray will not make the bench.Perhaps the team will get that ingriedent called coaching for once, seems to have been lacking in the past.

I think Murray is appalling. Granted, he''s been played out of position a few times, but he looks like his footballing brain is on a par with my Nan''s.

Roeder definitely doesn''t rate him either, he''ll be shipped out at the earliest possible opportunity.

The first choice centre halves have got to be Dublin and Taylor has it not??

For arguements sake on current performances i would say the pecking order is

Taylor

Dublin

Docherty

Murray

Shackell

Thats not to say they are the best overall players but on form and confidence at the moment....

The problem for Shacks is that up until Taylor joined, he was partnered by either Doc or Dublin- 2 SLOW guys. He was the one who had to cover, even though he''d rather be doing the job of winning that initial header.

Shacks is a good defender in a poor side, and like Drury, this doesn''t help their own game.