Sign in to follow this  
albyella

Limit Foreign Players...

Sepp Blatter has come out with the suggestion of limiting foreign players within a team - I for one welcome that again. Of course, it''s good to get a mix of top foreign talent to increase our own players experience, but not good when in some cases 90%+ of a team is foreign - maybe 4 or 5 foreigners would be acceptable. Personally, I hope this proposition is accepted - it would certainly create the incentive for all clubs to invest more into their youth and academy structure (instead of this "I want, therefore I will buy" attitude of some clubs), which would be good for the local communities as a whole, and ultimately it would make for a greater number of talented players to be available at National level.....

....or maybe I am in lalaland, brought on by reflection of last night''s shambles and the prospect of a long, tough season ahead for NCFC

Definitely agree with this, not just because it would probably improve the national team, but it would also ease the strangling effect too many foreign players are causing with regard to the lower league clubs.  Young british talent does not have the opportunity to develop and progress from the smaller clubs as it used to.  This in turn cuts off a large proportion of potential income to these ''nursey'' clubs, money which they sorely need to survive.  How many clubs went into administration before the influx of the foreign legion?  I am not saying it didn''t happen at all, but personally I can''t remember any.  

a) You would only be able to limit the number of players from non-EU countries. If Alex Ferguson can''t play Carlos Tevez because he already has his full quota of non-EU players in the team, he''ll just play Louis Saha instead. How will this benefit the England national team?

b) In the 41 years since England last won a major tournament it is only in the last ten or so that we have had a large influx of foreign players. What''s the excuse for the other 30 years?

Kneejerk reaction to a very poor campaign from England. Foreign players are not the problem - the problem is the disgusting attitude of the England team. Players need to come out with a humble attitude and earn the right to play - so they get paid 150k a week at their clubs and are good players....SO WHAT? if they don''t have the passion and pride to go with the ability and are so complacent as to assume they will win every game, what do you expect to happen? some of these players need their heads ripping off as it is their arrogance that is killing the game....NOT foreign players.... Italy, Spain, France, Germany....All big leagues, all teams that have qualified and all with an influx of foreign players in their leagues.

[quote]b) In the 41 years since England last won a major tournament it is only

in the last ten or so that we have had a large influx of foreign

players. What''s the excuse for the other 30 years?[/quote]In the 70s it was ridiculous hairstyles.  How Keegan could ever see the goal with that perm I have no idea.  In the 80s we relied upon Gary Lineker to carry us.  And Maradona cheated.  And we couldn''t take penalties.In 90, Gazza was too fat to get to that cross on the floor.In the late 90s and now, Beckham and his mates, and then Terry and his mates all believed they were better than they were, and put more effort into shopping with the wife / playing poker than playing football for their country.

I say, let the foreigners stay and let English players fight for their places. The English League managers are going to play their best team, and if 90% are imports, then so be it. That would say to me that there are not enough English men that can compete at the highest level.

i agree why did we ever move away from the rule regarding forign players in the team, i mean early 90s when we had the limit we produced the likes of players as beckham, scholes, neville, even phil, caragher, shearer, sheringham, butt, campbell, etc

i mean if you look at what we have todaylampard, good at club level but jus cant perform without a foriegner by his sidegerrard, cant perform to his club level with lampard or anyone else from a diff sidelook at our goalieswhat we got nowcarson, foster, green, robinson, james, the only one that could do well is james but again he gets complacentwe need more home blood bought through,

[quote user="Royal Anglian all the way"]i agree why did we ever move away from the rule regarding forign players in the team, i mean early 90s when we had the limit we produced the likes of players as beckham, scholes, neville, even phil, caragher, shearer, sheringham, butt, campbell, etc[/quote]

Still didn''t win anything though.