Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

France Vs England or Ipswich Vs Norwich?

No don''t worry, I''m not asking you to pick!! After all there would be no contest! No, I realised last night that even as Zidane fired in that penalty against which meant we had LOST, I didn''t feel any where near as angry or hurt or p***ed off as when Pablo Cournugo scrambled in that last minute penalty a couple of years ago to at Portman Road meaning we would only get a DRAW!! I felt nowhere near as much emotion. I have realised that my affinity with the national team is not even close to my affinity with the team I see every week and talk about everyday.

Anybody else feel this?

Yep...Norwich are FAR more important to me than England. I still can''t watch a replay of Cardiff 2002 but I have no problem with England/Brazil 2002.
Sure, I was dissappointed last night with the Endland result, but I wasn''t gutted.

Ipswich v Norwich all the way....there is a lot more banter and its always going to be exciting.
I had to watch the match yesterday surrounded by French people and I have to say they are pretty boring supporters. Reading French, I thought I would start up a bit of Anglo-French banter, but they were not used to the this and could only muster a small cheer when Zidane scored that penalty to give them the lead.

I agree DumbleDelia. I felt angry last night straight after the final whistle went, but more by the manner of the result more than anything else. But soon the detachment of it being the national team and not City sank in. Seeing England lose simply doesn''t mean as much as seeing City go down.

Co-incidentally I was wearing my Norwich City play-off final t-shirt while watching the game last night. To then see England throw away a one-nil lead and miss a penalty to lose was a bit familiar. Co-incidence? Nah, with Heskey and David James on the pitch you could almost guarantee a defeat.

Greeno for England!

I felt exactly the same emotions you describe, DD. Drove past FCR about ten minutes after the England game finished and felt a really warm glow all over again, imagining the stands full of Premiership City fans and a few from Arsenal, Chelski, etc! (Or perhaps I''d been out in the sun too long...oh well!)

Hey Brum, perhaps there''s a greater similarity between Les Bleus of France & the Blues of north-east London than we thought, if it''s true that both have fans like that (i.e. whose matchday atmosphere attempts are regularly drowned out by passing groups of mute swans). Oh, and they both drone on about their European exploits 20 yrs ago.

Sadly though in footballing terms the correlation ends with a jolt, because we have more in common with our yellow & green Brazilian cousins than Wilnis et al have with Henry & his posse.

well i do DD, and the game you use as an example is the best one too, i am still bitter about that match and argue still with my binner mates about it, especially as they now see hucks as a diver and cheat lol

i just cannot get too excited about england, i will watch them, but am not suicidal this morning, unlike some of my work colleagues who look like the world is over oh dear

I think some people take the England game''s soooo seriously is because they haven''t got a club side which they take really seriously. If Norwich lose and play badly, that''s it- That''s ruined my Saturday evening and Sunday morning when I read the papers!! I just don''t feel this when it comes to England. Oh well, roll on 14th August!