Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

10,000 fans, 100 quid each, fan place on the board ?

Apologies for opening another thread, but this is kind of a diversion from Smudgers'' protest :[quote user="cityangel"]Theres an interesting letter from the Norwich

fans Trust in todays EDP which mentions Smudger and his planned

protests and then goes on to talk about if they can accumalate more

shares we could get a fan on the board.[/quote]

That would definitely be the way forward.  All it would take is a

petition of names willing to donate, say 100 pounds each.  You get

10,000 names, that''s a million.  2 million bought 2 seats on the board,

in simple terms, why shouldn''t 1 million buy one ?  As Barry Skipper

said, there''s no reason why the majority shareholders would need to

hold onto the extra 10% of their shares, why not sell them, arrange an

EGM, and then the 10,000 petitioners can elect one of their number to

be that fan ?  All it would take is the boards'' agreement, and the

fans'' trust is probably the organisation to negotiate that.Any thoughts ?  I can set up a petition and link to it here if anyone is interested ?

Interesting proposition Blah, and actually something I would be interested in. Whether 10,000 fans is a bit optimistic I''m not sure, and there would have to be some serious tactful negotiation to get a place on the board - this would be encroaching on a "comfort zone", for which there may be some stiff resistance. Anyway, best of luck - you can count me in.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Apologies for opening another thread, but this is kind of a diversion from Smudgers'' protest :

[quote user="cityangel"]Theres an interesting letter from the Norwich fans Trust in todays EDP which mentions Smudger and his planned protests and then goes on to talk about if they can accumalate more shares we could get a fan on the board.[/quote]

That would definitely be the way forward.  All it would take is a petition of names willing to donate, say 100 pounds each.  You get 10,000 names, that''s a million.  2 million bought 2 seats on the board, in simple terms, why shouldn''t 1 million buy one ?  As Barry Skipper said, there''s no reason why the majority shareholders would need to hold onto the extra 10% of their shares, why not sell them, arrange an EGM, and then the 10,000 petitioners can elect one of their number to be that fan ?  All it would take is the boards'' agreement, and the fans'' trust is probably the organisation to negotiate that.

Any thoughts ?  I can set up a petition and link to it here if anyone is interested ?
[/quote]

I would be interested.

[quote user="albyella"]Interesting proposition Blah, and actually something I would be interested in. Whether 10,000 fans is a bit optimistic I''m not sure, and there would have to be some serious tactful negotiation to get a place on the board - this would be encroaching on a "comfort zone", for which there may be some stiff resistance. Anyway, best of luck - you can count me in.[/quote]I hope you''re wrong about a comfort zone alb, as comfortable people are rarely successful people.  This opinion is based upon my life as a comfortable person [:)].  All the petition would do is flag up that there would be interest in the idea, I believe that people would want to get involved, it''s been talked about enough in here, and there would be similar interest in other like-minded forums.  At some point, I''d want to hand it over to the supporters'' trust and the club, and let them hammer out the small-print.  I''m currently awaiting moderation of the petition, I''ve kept the tone of it neutral so there shouldn''t be any problems, the only problem might be the idea of people "pledging money".

but then who would get to sit on the Board, and what happens when not everyone has their opinion put forward, it is a good idea but would have to be very carefully orchestrated

the one problem with this is the amount of fans willing to give up 10k im guessing the majority will only be hardened norwich sth, i dont know your figures but say theres 20k season ticket holders to make it easy

children cant pay that or even students, so that cut out around 1/3 of the 20k so be left with around 13k possible

next, not everyone is minted enough to chuck 100quid here n there so im guessing you may have 5-8k willing to do that at most

good idea! but im 98%sure it wouldnt work for one reason or another

If those that can''t afford to do that want to put in less, then they can already do that through the supporters trust.  I think their membership fee is something like 5 or 10 pounds.If all setting up a petition does is raise awareness and funds for the supporters trust, then it will be worthwhile in my opinion.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]but then who would get to sit on the Board, and what happens when not everyone has their opinion put forward, it is a good idea but would have to be very carefully orchestrated[/quote]The person on the board would have to be elected from the people who put themselves on the petition.  There''s no reason why an election can''t be held either postally or online, it wouldn''t take much too much effort to sort.  The people who run for the election would have to put their views on the club forward, and the petitioners would choose the person with the viewpoints closest to their own.As I say, once demand has been proven, there''s no reason why the fan / director position couldn''t be made a yearly or bi-annual one, with any  money raised going in for team strengthening / purchases of further shares / whatever the donators / petitioners feel appropriate.

[quote user="Salahuddin"]but then who would get to sit on the Board, and what happens when not everyone has their opinion put forward, it is a good idea but would have to be very carefully orchestrated[/quote]

Yes it would have to be very well orchestrated - maybe even a representative committee who would authorise the views for the board member. Will be interesting to see the "take-up" on this, if people take this seriously, then it could gain some momentum....."tall oaks from little acorns grow"

You are quite right, the Trust membership is £10 for adults and £5 for under 16s. We do corporates at £100. At present there are only 570 of us but our shareholding is worth £23000 +. It won''t be easy and it won''t be instantaneous but there are fans on the Boards of other Clubs even if it is not in an executive role. I''d settle for a non voting non-executive place. At least we would know what the Board does and does not discuss.

Details of the Trust and joining on-line is at www.ncst.org.uk.