Sign in to follow this  
Quantum

Huckerby Dilemma

So Pattison sets up two goals today playing on the left - where does this leave Hucks for Tuesday? Would seem harsh to leave Matty out; or indeed Russell or Fozzy who also had good games today from what I''ve heard. So unless Roeder considers a change of formation, it seems the man most said we would desperately miss will have to settle for a place on the bench at Blackpool.What would you do?

Problem is we can''t just stick him upfront, because Cureton is scoring, and even if Dion is injured, Cureton and Hucks would never work.Stick him on the bench, I''m sure we''ll need fresh legs on Tuesday

[quote user="Quantum"]So Pattison sets up two goals today playing on the left - where does this leave Hucks for Tuesday? Would seem harsh to leave Matty out; or indeed Russell or Fozzy who also had good games today from what I''ve heard. So unless Roeder considers a change of formation, it seems the man most said we would desperately miss will have to settle for a place on the bench at Blackpool.

What would you do?
[/quote]

Here''s what I would do Quantum if I were Glenn Roeder. I would take Darren out for dinner one evening and talk to him about the "second half" of his career. I would stress that Darren still has a very key role as a player for Norwich in the future as we push back, first to respectability, and then to get back challenging for promotion, whether he is being used in a starting role or in a "major" substitute role for second half thrust. I would speak to Darren about his interest in concurrently pursuing his coaching qualifications and, in that vein, I would tell him that I would like to assign to him ( for specific ongoing training sessions ) my four most promising youngsters who have some pace but need ongoing coaching to learn how to use it effectively. This would be a tricky conversation to make sure it''s not taken the wrong way but, if handled well, could be great for Darren and NCFC.   

I think it''s not bad we have a quality left sided player now, with Hucks still with us too, because he said he may retired next season, and honestly we should find a replacement very soon too. I would say if Pattison played well and keep Hucks for some time, that''s good because you know Hucks would only fight for his place (he won''t leave we know!) and when he wear a Norwich shirt, we can expect more from him!!!

Pattison could well sign permanently, and could well be Huckerby''s long term replacement. It''s good to finally have some competition in the team.

As for Tuesday i''d keep the same team, stick Hucks on the bench, bring him on for 30 minutes and with pace to burn, and only 30 minutes to last he may well be able to tear Blackpool apart. Huckerby could turn into a very very important imapct player form the bench.

I guess he will be on the bench. However, who do you drop from the 16? If DD is fit to start you would probably want Brown on the bench to cover him, can''t see Evans being left out, Croft as done well in a cameo role of late and you need some defensive cover which Doc provides. I guess if DD not fit then Brown starts and Hux goes on the bench.

Personally, I would play Hux up front as we desperately need some pace up front and even Hux isn''t offside as much as Cureton is!!!

I''m sure we''d all rather start with the same 11 against Blackpool, but as that match is only three days away, Fotheringham maybe dropped to the bench due to lack of fitness with Pattison playing in midfield and Huckerby out wide left.

Is Dublin definately injured & out for Tuesdays fixture?

Why is it a dilemma?  Huckerby has not been good enough, leaves our left side wide open, and must now take his turn on the bench.

[quote user="Quantum"]So Pattison sets up two goals today playing on the left - where does this leave Hucks for Tuesday? Would seem harsh to leave Matty out; or indeed Russell or Fozzy who also had good games today from what I''ve heard. So unless Roeder considers a change of formation, it seems the man most said we would desperately miss will have to settle for a place on the bench at Blackpool.

What would you do?
[/quote]

Dublin just looked to be suffering from cramp imo so should be ok??

[quote user="JC"]

Why is it a dilemma?

[/quote]Surely it leaves the manager with a decision to make when your widely acclaimed ''best player'' becomes available again? Especially when people were saying that we''d miss him so much over these three games and see him as undroppable (I''m not one).A possible option for an away game of the like of Stoke would be to move Pattison inside and stick Huckerby on the left, and probably take out Dublin. Wouldn''t mind seeing that as centre mid is apparently Pattison''s favoured position, and should make us more difficult to break down. Can''t see that happening at Blackpool though; play the same as yesterday with Hucks deservedly on the bench, perhaps used as an impact player late on.

Definately keep the same team, huckerby isnt the player he used to be! he does still cause opposing defenders a lot of problems but not like he used to! I think he shud be our super sub like ole gunner solskiaer (however you spell it) used to be for man utd. Anyone know why new man ched evans didnt get a game??  

I''d stick with the same team, I think.  Hucks on the bench.Also, Chadwick to start and Croft as a sub.  If we need to mix things up, Pattison can play centre mid and Huckerby can rampage down the left.  Hard to change the team around after yesterday, I think.I like Yankee Canary''s idea a lot.  I have heard from three different people (none of whom may know anything, I stress, and it could just be idle gossip) that Hucks might be off to the USA in the summer to earn some final money before retiring.

I don''t think it''s much of a dilemma, Roeder will stick with the same team from yesterday unless Dion isn''t available. And even if he isn''t available it may just be a straight swap with Ched Evans or maybe Chris Brown.

As for Huckerby...well you hear people saying he won''t like being the main man, he won''t like not having things his own way etc etc ...

Personally I think that''s completely wrong, I think Hucks will be a lot happier now that the club have brought in a good manager and he has been able to attract some good players to the club. He was clearly frustrated by the failures of Peter Grant, as any decent player with a bit of passion would be, and I expect his enthusiam will quickly increase.

Was at the game and from what I witnessed if it aint broke dont fix it !Put him on the bench in the event of Pattison tiring. After all two 90 min first time games after just playing reserve football might be telling.Think the guy, whilst not having Hucks pace has far more to offer. Not afraid to track back and put his foot in, made some crunching tackles from all over the park that Hucks would have stalled on.I know this thread isnt about this but felt we have a great future partnership with Fozzy and Russell and with a really sold Taylor behind them who imo was close to Rusty as motm thought our defence looked the best it has for 3 years and from where I was sitting especially in the last knockings looked like they could soak up anything that was thrown at them. Would love to see Taylor and Pattison as permanant fixtures after Jan.

Quite frankly, I don''t think it''s a much of a dilemma. Roeder''s a big enough man to handle Huckerby. Yankee has the kernel of the right solution. And if it doesn''t go well.........well release him and tell him thanks. After all we don''t want him hanging around sulking, now do we.

And if he gets stroppy? Well, the club is always bigger than the individual, and he''s been more than very well paid for what he''s done, plus had more than his fair share of hero worship over the years. So...........I guess it''s quits. Bye, bye my son. Life goes on. 

OTBC

[quote user="GJP"]

I don''t think it''s much of a dilemma, Roeder will stick with the same team from yesterday unless Dion isn''t available. And even if he isn''t available it may just be a straight swap with Ched Evans or maybe Chris Brown.

As for Huckerby...well you hear people saying he won''t like being the main man, he won''t like not having things his own way etc etc ...

Personally I think that''s completely wrong, I think Hucks will be a lot happier now that the club have brought in a good manager and he has been able to attract some good players to the club. He was clearly frustrated by the failures of Peter Grant, as any decent player with a bit of passion would be, and I expect his enthusiam will quickly increase.

[/quote]

Great post! That''s how I see it - can''t think he''s going to be unhappy with GR bringing in better players. He was moaning about that exact thing during the summer   

If Dion is fit I''d start with the same team and bring him on upfront for the 2nd half when Dion is tired.

Play him upfront where he isn''t restricted by tracking back and defending.  Only problem is that option messes with the shape and the discipline.  I would probably plump for what someone else suggested....Super sub until situations dictate otherwise...

You all seem to forget that these loaned players will be returning to their respective clubs come the new year - Hucks will be very much needed, very soon!

Depending upon injuries accrued during the match, bring Evans and Huckerby off the bench after 65-70 mins and let them have a 20-25 minute bash at Blackpool after the graft of Dublin and Cureton for the preceeding 65-70 minutes. I reckon that Huckerby and Evans could form quite a formidable closing-of-the-game partnership. Let''s face it, Huckerby, whist he still offers us a lot, is not the same player that we bought, and therefore we need to re-tailor his game to suit our needs and also to what he can still offer us. I suspect he''s not above accepting this and is more than willing to commit to playing more of an impact role, like people have suggested, from the substitute''s bench. He''s a winner, and a tough competitor and, in my humble opinion, want''s to see us winning as a team, not as Huckerby City FC.

[quote user="peely"]You all seem to forget that these loaned players will be returning to their respective clubs come the new year - Hucks will be very much needed, very soon![/quote]

Thank you, someone else noticed.  There is a dilemma despite some people not seeing it.  It is nowhere near as simple as just "If it aint broke......"  We are in a very delicate position and things are never as cut and dry as they may seem.  With the situation the club finds itself Roeder is going to have to handle the players much better than Grant or Worthington did.  Yankee''s suggestion that Roeder needs to sit down and have a chat with Huckerby needs to extend much further than just one player.  We have 5 loan players here at the moment, 4 of which were in the squad on Saturday.  If these players all go back in January we will have to look to own players to keep us up plus any new signings.  I would not change a winning team but players cannot simply be cast aside as easily as some seem to think.