Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

The turning of the worm?

What delicious irony is brewing!

From BBC Sport:

IFA wants Worthington to stay on

Nigel Worthington

Nigel Worthington was capped 66 times as a N Ireland player
Northern Ireland boss Nigel Worthington is set to be offered a new contract after the final Euro 2008 qualifier against Spain on Wednesday night.

His deal ends after the game but his short period in charge has impressed the Irish Football Association.

"Do I think he can do the job on a permanent basis? Without a doubt," IFA chief Howard Wells told BBC 5 Live.

"I believe every international manager needs at least two tournaments to prove they can do it."

Worthington took over from Lawrie Sanchez in June and has been in charge for the last five qualifiers.

606: DEBATE

Defeats in Latvia and Iceland were followed by an impressive 1-1 draw in Sweden and Saturday night''s dramatic 2-1 comeback win against Denmark.

Victory in Spain, coupled with a home defeat for Sweden against Latvia, would take Northern Ireland through to next year''s finals.

"We''ve decided not to discuss it further until after game - that''s a mutual decision with Nigel so he can concentrate on the game," added Wells.

"He came in at a difficult time, he picked up the baton and moved it on.

"We respect the job Lawrie did and laid foundations to move forward.

"To take over in the middle of a campaign is difficult but I was under no doubt when I met Nigel that he was the man to do it.

"If the fans had known that with one game to go we''d still be in contention, they, like us, would have been delighted."

OTBC