Sign in to follow this  
The Ghost of Percy Varco

Green to Arsenal?

Just found this on twotb

Daily Mirror has the details of Arsenal after Green - £ 4m plus extras - we originally wanted £ 6 - apparently Bentley is a sweetener on the deal - keeps worthy happy ,

full story
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/sporttop/tm_objectid=14333113%26method=full%26siteid=50143%26headline=wenger%2dhas%2da%2dgreen%2dagenda-name_page.html

How longs he got left on his contract, anyone know?

If its only a year, then we have to sell. Two years and we should keep him for a season, maybe.

My heart says hes got to stay, but my head says sell him. If the transfer fee goes straight to Worthy, it could double his transfer kitty.

Oh no.

Surely he''s worth more than 4 million? And even if that is all we get I''d like to think we would sign better players than the Nigerian released from Wolves.

And there was me thinking the days of Norwich having to sell all their best players was gone?

Personally I''m 99.9% that we won''t sell - Worthy definitely wont want to and the board wont want to p**s him off now, by selling the players we need next season.

And like someones already said, Greenos unproven in the Premiership (although i''m sure deep down we all know he will do well) so the chances of Arsenal splashing out ''big'' money for him are quite small.

i am hoping i am wrong, but i am told it will be made public by tomorrow. Already seen the reports that have been made so they can be transmitted when he signs and trust me tv stations don''t do that unless they know. whist i wish him luck i am very sad they he never stayed for a season. This has put a dampner on the summer

Gutted if this is true, but, if its 4mil plus extras, then I say snatch their bloody hands off!.

Greeno has been a hero all season for us, but our survival in the Premiership comes first. And if, I repeat if, the WHOLE 4 mil is handed over to Worthy for new players, and not a new corner infill, then it is I''m afaraid, good buisness.

Good luck to the lad anyway. Although a clause not allowing him to play against us should be included, ie. Bently.

Perhaps the Bentley deal is tied in some way to a deal for Green, bearing in mind we have just signed Gallagher. Arsenal to loan us Bentley for this year plus some (much needed) cash for first option on Green at the end of this season. Gallagher deal then makes much more sense (a year to bed in, so to speak, as well as cover). But Green to go before the season starts - can''t see it myself, from either the players point of view or the clubs.

I''ve laughed off most of the speculation on this message board, but this has me worried - we sign gallagher & get bentley, green lining up in keown''s testimonial at highbury, so wenger cpould scout him - it all seems to point to the sale of Green to me.

I hope I am wrong as Green is one of the best players norwich have had in a long time and is integral to our future success.

Be it Green goes now or the end of the season I can see it happening. He has only one year left on his contract so Norwich have to decide if he will sign another one or come the end of the year say he does not wish to sign and wishes to play for bigger club with a chance to win things. Then if that happens he walks away for nothing just like Marshall. Or we can get possibly 4 million for him now with a good keeper to take his place. Lets not all start believeing that without Green we have not got a chance. Yes he is a great keeper but there are others who pull off wonderful saves that win games and if it is a case of 4 million or nothing then I know what I would choose.

I agree, £4M is worth it, although it would have been nice to have the English international keeper in our side for World Cup 2006.

not replying to any one of you in particular, but what is going on here?

why on earth would we go to all the trouble of actually achieving promotion (it has taken nine years!)

and then sell our best players, no way, and certainly no way with delia and nige at the helm

cool down everyone, we are a club with AMBITION (and it is fantastic to be able to say that after all these years) and clubs with ambition do not sell their prize assets, we are not a selling club any more

Greeno doesn''t have to go to arsenal to achieve anything - he can do it with us

i don''t care what the price is - or if we get bentley on a permenant basis, we DO NOT sell our best players, end of story

If we are ever going to recoup serious money for one of our finest players then the time to sell is, unfortunately, now. Quite simply if we get relegated from the Prem he will want to stay at that level, his contract will be nigh on gone and we won''t get the cash a player like him commands. It would be very sad to see him go but everything points to that being the case (Bentely, Gallacher) and he has been great for the club. If he goes, good luck to him, nice lad and a star. From Englands No1 to Scotlands.......

If Green would like to go then I for one would not stand in his way. Four Million is good business for a goal keeper with Div 1 experience and only 1 more contract year to go before he can leave on a free. Much has been said about Green and his ability. He is young and and his shot stopping and reflex saving ability is very good for one of his age, but he does not take command of the six yard area well enough in my opinion and his decision making in coming for and handling of crosses leaves much to be desired, all of these chinks in his armour can be solved with experience and time which he has plenty of. Never the less he is in the upper class or Arsenal would not be interested. We at NCFC are desperately in need of two top class hard working defenders with prem experience to consolidate what we already have. The four million should procure something quite decent. OTBC!!!

I''m not in-the-know at all, but I feel that, if Greeno goes, he is more likely to leave either in the January transfer window or at the end of the season rather than now..unless there is really silly money on the table. What he himself feels is a big factor in this, and, as he''s lived here a long time and obviously likes it here a lot, I think that his desire to taste life in the Premiership with us initially is more likely to be stronger than for, say, a player who has only been here a short while...although there''s no doubting that Leon, Matty and Hucks definitely seemed to be getting a touch of gangrenous jaundice by the end of the season! It sure does seem to get under some players'' skins pretty quickly (thankfully) ''cos we don''t very often see players hotfootting it off down the A11 or A47 to escape as they hate it here!

No way.

Can''t see it.

Thought he had 2 years left on his contract anyway.

Two words for you Robert - Richard Wright.

...gangrenous jaundice?! That''s an awful thought susie b. Thinking about the old Green an Yeller should bring nice things into our minds. Not a load of old pus and sickly yellow eyes... Couldn''t you have gone for something a bit more positive and palatable - grassy sunshine? How about angelica custard? Or jade amber?

...Having said which, I''ve just read what Greeno said on the PinkUn main page. The guy is a down-to-earth, heart-of-oak NCFC legend. I respected him before today, but now he has grown even more in my esteem. Leave Norwich? Why would he want to go and do that?

Notice how he didn''t go down the "It''s flattering to think that a big club might be interested in me..." line that most over ambitious fools tend to say. No, not old Greeno - he''s saying ''Look, it''s taken me 9 years to get where we are and I''m not about to turn my back now on the club that I love...''

Greeno - best NCFC keeper since Gunny - better in fact. The way he''s going he may yet even live up to the legend of Gunn as well.

Keep it low...

If we were to get 4 million or more and it were to be given to Worthy for the team,not for some corner infill i would take it.We have to realise we are a SELLING club and that is going to happen everytime we unearth a jewel.It has happened in the past and will continue to do so,and there comes a point where money really does talk.Nobody hates this situation more than myself,but having supported this club for many years thats the reality.

...Look a promising 4m keeper today is an 8m legendary keeper this time next year.

Get out of your sums and wake up to Greeno...

I dont think Greeno is off...yet. Seems to me the 2 year contract for Gallacher works on the basis that if we get relegated next year then Greeno does go and gallacher gets an extended contract. If we stay up next year...which we will...then Galacher will be released?

Sorry Flick Fleck! Peas and sweetcorn it is from now on. Now there''s a pretty decent mix of the old colours. Or, if you fancy a drink instead, how about cloudy (real) lemonade and lime?