Sign in to follow this  
Unlucky Fried Kitten

Are Halliday and Eagle worth a run out in the 1st eleven?

I thought they both looked quite good playing for the stiffs on Monday. Halliday is a tall commanding centre back who doesn''t seem to do a lot wrong and Eagle was a real livewire full of running and always looking for the ball and he didn''t give it away much against Northampton. The only trouble is there is probably a fair old gulf in class between Northampton Town reserves and the Coventry 1st team. I''d certainly like to see one, or both of them on the bench soon and maybe have a chance to see what they are capable of. Who else was at this match, and what did you think?

Quick answer...No. I didn''t actually make it to this week''s reserve game, but of those I have been to, Halliday has made a lot of costly errors and hardly been comfortable, even at that level. And his distribution is worse than that of Jason Shackell! Eagle can deliver a good cross, but that is literally about it. He gets pushed off the ball too easily and contributes little else.. other than having the most ridiculous haircut on the pitch! I hate to say this, but I don''t think either of them have the quality to make it at this level. Afraid the wait for a quality youth product seems to continue...

eagle is a real deal livewire who wears his heart on his sleeve ansd gives it max. he should now be playing in the first team imho, halliday is not as good as spillaine right now but will be and needs to go out on loan. good to hear fotheringham is up for it after retuning from injury and what about nugent from pompy on loan?, personally i would rather have earnie back

No.

But there is somebody who has been strangely afforded the luxury of their own column on this site that firmly believes Cave-Brown is the way to go (no pun intended) and I would imagine would be very happy to see him play in, as he called them,  â€˜compress pants’…………………….

What a  thought!

Eagle is a bit like a trickier Croft - eye-catching but not much end-product. No''ton''s left winger, Joe Benjamin, was much more dangerous. Eagle has promise, if he can improve his decision making and gain some upper body strength. Where''s the coaching? Halliday was OK, but he''ll never make the first team unltil he can hoof the ball into the car park (twice) and make a sucide backpass under no pressure: though to be fair, Doherty played well otherwise :-)

I don''t want to be harsh because I always like to see people given a chance but both Halliday and Eagle are a million miles off being good enough to play at this level. I think the pair of them will be doing very well if they manage to make a career playing at anything above Conference level.