Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

Today's Brainteaser!

Looks like NW is to be offered the Ireland job, and good luck to him.

But my question(s) are as follows- just over a year ago, a large section of the fans, myself included, campaigned for the man to be released from his Carra duties,

• With the benefit of hindsight, was sacking NW the incorrect decision?
  • Would we be in a better position if he had stayed on?
  • Would we, dare I say it, not by protesting against Delia?
  • And, lastly, would we even be pushing at the other end of the table?

Worthington had to go at the time because it had gone stale, but in hindsight i suppose it was the wrong move because if he''d have been in charge i would be suprised if we''d be as bad as we are now. We wouildnt have had Grants inexperienced madness and scottish influence. But, then i think it was the right decision, how were we to know that the board would make such an incompetent decision!

We''d probably now be about 16th in the championship, good enough to stay up, but 3 good signings short of challenging for the play offs.

If Worthy had have stayed there would still be protests, because at the time people rightly thought worthy should go, and if he''d have stayed on with us in thebottom half of the championship the fans wouldnt have been happy at all.

No, we wouldnt be challenging, it had gone toostale and i dont believe Worthy would have changed the squad or been backed financially to do so.

No, the right decision was made to dispense with Worthy''s services albeit a year too late. Managers have a shelf life and Worthy was way past his sell by date. What we weren''t to know was that the Board would make a catacylsmic decision in appointing the hapless Grant as a replacement. A sensible replacement for Worthy would almost certainly not have seen us in the position we are in today.

[quote user="Barry Brockes"]No, the right decision was made to dispense with Worthy''s services albeit a year too late. Managers have a shelf life and Worthy was way past his sell by date. What we weren''t to know was that the Board would make a catacylsmic decision in appointing the hapless Grant as a replacement. A sensible replacement for Worthy would almost certainly not have seen us in the position we are in today.[/quote]

Well done for tdoays word of the day!

1)  No.  He had proved not only during the premiership season but also the one that followed that he had little idea.  We were losing almost as regularly as we are now and it was clear he had lost most, if not all the dressing room. 

2)  No one knows, but personally I doubt it.  His time had run at NCFC.

3)  I am pretty sure we would.  Let''s not forget that the protests to oust Worthington were becoming very strong and do you honestly believe if the board hadn''t sacked him the fans would have left them in peace?

4)  Again no one can know, but it would have been as likely as Stevie Wonder scoring 180 in a darts match!

If Worthington had been shown the door half way through the prem season and If he had been replaced with a better manager than Grant, we may have stayed up.

If the board had shown less prudence and more ambition, who knows. 

If, even after allowing Worthington to blunder along for 18 months too long, the board had appointed an experienced manager, who knows.  

If ''If''s & Ands were pots & pans'' etc........................

Sadly it''s all water under the Carrow Bridge now and all we can hope is that the purse strings are loosened and Glenn Roeder can work a miracle.    

[quote user="HUDDY "]

[quote user="Barry Brockes"]No, the right decision was made to dispense with Worthy''s services albeit a year too late. Managers have a shelf life and Worthy was way past his sell by date. What we weren''t to know was that the Board would make a catacylsmic decision in appointing the hapless Grant as a replacement. A sensible replacement for Worthy would almost certainly not have seen us in the position we are in today.[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry but that award must go to Mystic for masturbatory [;)]

Speaking personally, I was aghast at the Worthy Out campaign.  I saw it as a deeply divisive distraction from the main issue, which reflected how many fans had been taken in by the "prudence with ambition" spin machine and were either unaware of or unwilling to face the fact that the board were prioritising infrastructure at the expense of football.  The reason for such unequestioning acceptance is a topic in itself, but suffice to say I believe that having Delia as a figurehead meant that people were more trusting than they would otherwise have been, and that she attracted a new breed of supporters who were not very streetwise. 

Seen in the context of chronic underfunding, what Nigel Worthington achieved  for Norwich City was remarkable.  He wasn''t perfect but too many people were turned against him by superficial irrelevancies like a perceived lack of charisma, and once the campaign was in full swing a nasty undercurrent of anti-Irishness  also emerged.   

With proper investment in the squad I believe he had the capability and had gained enough experience from 2004/5 to take us back to the Premiership and maybe keep us there for a season or two - no more, because without major new investment the most we could expect under any manager would be yoyo status.  However I doubt that "proper investment" would ever have been forthcoming, even if the fans had focused their attentions on the board instead of the manager, so who knows how it would have ended? 

In my opinion Worthy''s departure will turn out to be the biggest turning point in our history since Ron Saunders joined the club, if it marks the beginning of the end of nearly half a century in the top two divisions.  An end that was on the horizon before he arrived because of the board''s "obsession" with infrastructure at the expense of football, but was delayed by three or four years by his unexpected success.  The board had been gambling on staying in the midtable Championship comfort zone with minimum expenditure on the squad long before he came on the scene, and it''s a gamble they would eventually have lost as they tried to stand still while the rest of football moved on.

[quote user="The voice of the Thorpe Area"]

[/quote]

Yes, he had run his course and the side was sliding down the league at pace.

[/quote]

Yes, better than the state the appalling Grant left us in!  Unless Worthy had actually relegated us last season that is (doubtful - altho given the atmosphere around the club a possibility).

[/quote]

Yes, if Worthy had not been sacked and we continued to the 16th place or worse finish I think so.

[/quote]

No chance at all, given the lack of funds available after the departure of players like Safri, Erny and Etuhu.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="HUDDY "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nutty . . . Mystic has had a sad demise. Walking past KFC one evening she was crushed to death by a dinosaur.  The huge lumbering beast Lardyosaurus Hartsonii was in angry mood, having had nothing to eat for over twenty minutes.  Beating its chest and uttering its traditional cry "Three more bargain buckets boyo and don''t forget the onion rings" it had the momentum of a ten-ton truck.  Mystic didn''t stand a chance [:''(]

I''m here to keep her memory alive . . . 

The sacking was NW was for me something that should have been done much sooner , to give him a close season and then sack him was ludicrous , I think he had lost the club , fans etc and we were drifting along , we would not have been in a better position at all

I cannot uinderstand teh Anti Delia feelings - had she not brought chase out - they would be no club to support - give her a break , she genuinely cares and if she pulls out what happens then

With the Squad Worthington had , we certainly would not be at teh top of the table - he played players constantly out of position 

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nutty . . . Mystic has had a sad demise. Walking past KFC one evening she was crushed to death by a dinosaur.  The huge lumbering beast Lardyosaurus Hartsonii was in angry mood, having had nothing to eat for over twenty minutes.  Beating its chest and uttering its traditional cry "Three more bargain buckets boyo and don''t forget the onion rings" it had the momentum of a ten-ton truck.  Mystic didn''t stand a chance [:''(]

[/quote]

What a terrible end Mystic came to but why ever didn''t she step aside [sn] as the lumbering beast approached [:^)]

Are you related to Colin? Anyone remember him? I think he was only here for one season, the transitional season when Bondy took over from Saunders and we got relegated. We used over 30 players that season!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What a terrible end Mystic came to but why ever didn''t she step aside [sn] as the lumbering beast approached [:^)]

Are you related to Colin? Anyone remember him? I think he was only here for one season, the transitional season when Bondy took over from Saunders and we got relegated. We used over 30 players that season!

[/quote]

We shall never know Nutty. 

Colin Prophett, now there''s a blast from the past.  According to "Glorious Canaries" he made 34 league appearances in 1973/4 after joining from Sheffield Wednesday "in six different numbered shirts".  I moved to London during that season and can''t remember if I saw him play or not.

It was plain to even supporters of NW like me that the laughable performances on the pitch at the end of Worthingtons'' reign suggested that the dressing-room had been lost.  At the start of last season we started strongly, but it looks like something (s) had happened between players and management that led to the players going slow in matches.   If you don''t get the results, the manager gets the boot.
Probably not, as things were getting quite attritional as they were.  We might have got relegated last season, in which case we''d now be in league 1.
 Some members of the board (Turner, Munby), have come out and said it''s a fair cop, we''re failing at the moment, but we want to put it right.  It''s probably taken this run of poor results for them to realise that their priorities need to be balanced more towards football.
Almost certainly not.Reading the points on here make me realise just how wrong I''ve been about most of the things that have happened over the last 2 seasons.  C''est la vie.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Reading the points on here make me realise just how wrong I''ve been about most of the things that have happened over the last 2 seasons.  C''est la vie.
[/quote]

Hey you tried to stay positive mate and that''s to be applauded. I wish I could have done the same for a bit longer.

I am believe it or not very proud to be a City fan and I personally take no pleasure at the current situation.

I don''t think you or anybody should beat themselves up for trying to focus on positive aspects and good things about the club. If you and some others hadn''t this would be an even more depressing place than it is now.

We can''t go back and we can''t hide from the fact that we are in a right buggers muddle. As for the worthy thing Blahx3 got it spot on. He was a dead man walking. Mistake was to replace him with a green horn.

Roeder is our man now and at least he''s acquiring some lone players in an attempt to stop the rot.

The bare facts are we are not a wealthy club and the little money we have had for the last 2 seasons has on the whole be totally wasted. Here''s hoping that Glen will use the small amount he has at his disposal better.

P.S At some stage we will all have to stop the negative and look to the future. For some on here that will never be impossible. To those people I say go support Man UTD, Arsenal or Chelsea because those are the only clubs capable of giving you what you want and what you on your crusade for excellence will accept. For the rest of us it somewhere in-between the play off season and the promotion season with a bit of luck thrown in.

Acceptance is the key. We all have to find a level that we find acceptable for our club. We are no where near that level yet I’m sure all will admit. Trouble is some will always set the bar to high!

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="HUDDY "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So.........so..........let me get this clear.

Mystic did not pen Nutty''s contender for word of the day? Because she had already been crushed into the hereafter by Welsh lard?

So, who penned it? Fat Prophet or Nutty''s imagination? Or........?

Now if it was imaginative, then.............No, no, I don''t think so, not Nutty.[^o)]

Cluedo?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="HUDDY "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Mystic did not pen Nutty''s contender for word of the day? Because she had already been crushed into the hereafter by Welsh lard?

Now if it was imaginative, then.............No, no, I don''t think so, not Nutty.[^o)]

Cluedo?

OTBC

[/quote]

Nope.  Reincarnation.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Cluedo?

OTBC

[/quote]

Reverend Green... in the boardroom... with Delias rolling pin????

Or just maybe..... [8]

It was just my imagination
Running away with me
Running away with me [;)]

Beginning to think you are right. Worthy certainly overachieved with the squad that went up as champs. If he had been given sufficent backing once we got there then we may not be in the mess that we now find ourselves in. Still we can be proud of the fact that we are a prudently run club can''t we Mr Doomcaster?

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="HUDDY "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Now i am interested in Mystics demise , I wonder who handled the body , just wondering thats all . I don''t want you Posters to think of me as a kind of grim reaper hanging over you heads . But i hate  to miss a sale don''t you know. [;)] arrdee. 

Arrdee wrote......

''''Now i am interested in Mystics demise , I wonder who handled the body , just wondering thats all . I don''t want you Posters to think of me as a kind of grim reaper hanging over you heads . But i hate  to miss a sale don''t you know. Wink [;)] arrdee.''''

Wondering how many pounds of sausages you''d have got from the carcass arrdee ? Just wondering, thats all.   [:D]

So the Worthy one had lost the dressing room had he 25overpar, must be why Hucks wanted so badly to play against Burnley when he wasn''t fit because he knew as we all knew what was going to happen if we got beat. I''m bloody sick of Worthy outers still blaming the bloke for everything from where we are now to the weather, intrest rates and the price of bloody petrol. There got that off my chest.

[quote user="Shaker"]So the Worthy one had lost the dressing room had he 25overpar, must be why Hucks wanted so badly to play against Burnley when he wasn''t fit because he knew as we all knew what was going to happen if we got beat. I''m bloody sick of Worthy outers still blaming the bloke for everything from where we are now to the weather, intrest rates and the price of bloody petrol. There got that off my chest.[/quote]

With respect Shaker, if you read it a second time you will see that I said "it was clear he had lost most, if not all the dressing room". 

[quote user="arrdee"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="HUDDY "]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Now i am interested in Mystics demise , I wonder who handled the body , just wondering thats all . I don''t want you Posters to think of me as a kind of grim reaper hanging over you heads . But i hate  to miss a sale don''t you know. [;)] arrdee. 

[/quote]

arrdee . . . to coin a phrase used by the rescue services, "there was nothing to find" - except for a small triangular green and yellow badge bearing the words "Chase Out" and "Battle of Carrow Road 1996" which I now have in my possession.  Draw your own conclusions . . .

[quote user="Shaker"]So the Worthy one had lost the dressing room had he 25overpar, must be why Hucks wanted so badly to play against Burnley when he wasn''t fit because he knew as we all knew what was going to happen if we got beat. I''m bloody sick of Worthy outers still blaming the bloke for everything from where we are now to the weather, intrest rates and the price of bloody petrol. There got that off my chest.[/quote]Shaker, I had supported Worthington up to the point of the Plymouth game, and even then was against the protest at the Burnley match.  Speaking of that match - when one central defender gets sent off for a rugby tackle on a man through on goal, and the other gifts their forwards the freedom of the pitch for the rest of the game, there will only be one outcome.  I''ve never seen a game before where the difference between those that were trying for the team (Huckerby, Earnshaw, Dublin) and those that didn''t care was so great.That said, this is all old old news.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Cluedo?

OTBC

[/quote]

Reverend Green... in the boardroom... with Delias rolling pin????

Or just maybe..... [8]

Running away with me
Running away with me [;)]

[/quote]

I told that Rev. Green is a happily married man, so I don''t suppose it was him.

So, that leaves your imagination, I would imagine.

And, by the way, why do you suppose your owner keeps her rolling pin in the boardroom? Unless maybe she was also there?

[:^)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

I told that Rev. Green is a happily married man, so I don''t suppose it was him.

So, that leaves your imagination, I would imagine.

And, by the way, why do you suppose your owner keeps her rolling pin in the boardroom? Unless maybe she was also there?

[:^)]

OTBC

[/quote]

You see the ''Good Rev'' may be cleverer than the rest and you may have fallen for his spin in believing he is a happily married man.

And just maybe she keeps the rolling pin in the boardroom so as not to intimidate Mrs White in the kitchen.

Things may not be as they seem.[:-*]

Are you really Colonel Mustard Bly?[:^)]  Or is that just my imagination, running away with me[*-)]

With a few notable exceptions Worthingtons teams have ALWAYS been dull. We never played good football. We got results granted, but it was poor to watch. Week after week we''d get outplayed and nick a win. That he was good at.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

Arrdee wrote......

''''Now i am interested in Mystics demise , I wonder who handled the body , just wondering thats all . I don''t want you Posters to think of me as a kind of grim reaper hanging over you heads . But i hate  to miss a sale don''t you know. Wink [;)] arrdee.''''

Wondering how many pounds of sausages you''d have got from the carcass arrdee ? Just wondering, thats all.   [:D]

[/quote]

So "lapp" when am i going to see you can''t wait .arrdee.

[quote user="arrdee"][quote user="lappinitup"]

Arrdee wrote......

[/quote]

So "lapp" when am i going to see you can''t wait .arrdee.

[/quote]Still waiting for a PM arrdee, still don''t know where to find you.