Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Pattison/Fotheringham - Holt/Mulryne

The title is obvious on this one, i think the pairing of Matty Pattison and Mark Fotheringham could be a perfect midfield partnership and just what we need, a hard man defensive player and an attacking playmaker. Clearly our plan of playing 2 defensive midfielders all season hasnt worked and never will suit the way we play.To make the best use of our attackers we need a playmaker, this is the Norwich way, and always has been. Crook, Mulryne, Safri, in recent years our best play was using a playmaker, and i think Fotheringham will continue the trend. With Pattison alongside him, who even looks like Gary Holt, and hopefully will play as well as he did, that midfield balance of defensive and attacking looks good. I hope that those two emerge from the midfielders we have, cement there place in the side and have a similar impact on the side that Holt and Mulryne and Francis and Safri did.

I think that we may find that Pattison is a bit more than a hard tackling defensive player - Roeder describes him as being able to pass any distance with his left foot and almost as good with hsi right. And Fozzy relishes tackling - he''s more than a delicate play maker, when fit.Finally Fozzy has been been complaining that he had to play on the left too much under PG, and prefers the centre. So the two, Pattison and Fotheringham may be a perfect complement in more ways than one, as Pattison would clearly be happy on the LH side of midfield.If only Fozzy can capture the kind of form he sjowed glimpses of just before he was injured!

forgive me if i am wrong but; i''m 99% sure that when i saw pattison play for newcastle he was a left sided winger, not a defensive central midfield hardman...

Agree, I thought he played on the left too, so presumeably he''ll have my Hucks place this Saturday .

[quote user="cityangel"]Agree, I thought he played on the left too, so presumeably he''ll have my Hucks place this Saturday .[/quote]

lol good, maybe he might be a player that CAN skim players, and not lose so many balls.  Huck''s a year or two ago used to scare the pants out of opposing players, but now, well IMHO I feel he has lost his touch.  Maybe it will come back now there are fresh players and different manager, who knows eh?  [;)]

[quote user="kirku"]forgive me if i am wrong but; i''m 99% sure that when i saw pattison play for newcastle he was a left sided winger, not a defensive central midfield hardman...[/quote]I may be mistaken on his position but assumed he was a central midfielder judging by what Roeder said about him playing against Michael Ballack, presumably in centre midfield. He''s described as an agressive midfielder on the Newcastle website, a pinkun story said he''s a combative midfielder, and that he was down the pecking order behind other Newcastle midfielders, at the time, Scott Parker etc, and has been likened to Lee Clark, also a defensive midfielder.Also a ''midfielder'' to me is exactly that, someone who plays in midfield. I wouldnt call Hucks or Croft a midfielder, id class them as wingers. Midfielder is an overally term i guess but from what ive read he doesnt sound like a left winger.Oh well, its all speculation until we see him in action, i was just giving an opinion on what we potentially could have on our hands here, that being a good midfield partnership.OTBC

[quote]Midfielder is an overally term i guess but from what ive read he doesnt sound like a left winger.Oh well, its all speculation until we see him in action, i was just giving an opinion on what we potentially could have on our hands here, that being a good midfield partnership.OTBC[/quote]well on my part it isn''t speculation, as i have seen him play in the

premiership for newcastle. like i said previously, i''m almost totally

sure that he played wide left for them. i certainly trust my own

memories more than shoddy journalism and random conjecture

[quote user="kirku"][quote]Midfielder is an overally term i guess but from what ive read he doesnt sound like a left winger.Oh well, its all speculation until we see him in action, i was just giving an opinion on what we potentially could have on our hands here, that being a good midfield partnership.OTBC[/quote]well on my part it isn''t speculation, as i have seen him play in the

[/quote]That''s nicehttp://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Profiles/0,,10278~30702,00.html"a stocky and aggressive midfielder", so clearly a Huckerby clone.... :-P

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="kirku"][quote]Midfielder is an overally term i guess but from what ive read he doesnt sound like a left winger.Oh well, its all speculation until we see him in action, i was just giving an opinion on what we potentially could have on our hands here, that being a good midfield partnership.OTBC[/quote]well on my part it isn''t speculation, as i have seen him play in the

[/quote]That''s nicehttp://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Profiles/0,,10278~30702,00.html"a stocky and aggressive midfielder", so clearly a Huckerby clone.... :-P[/quote]stocky and aggressive certainly does not mean central and defensive, and why would he have to be a huckerby clone? simply because he played left midfield for newcastle does not mean he is in the huckerby mould, are all  left midfielders disinterested in defending and only useful going forward?furthermore huckerby is an aggressive player, he is aggressive going forward and running at people. ronaldo is an aggressive midfielder and roy keane was an aggressive midfielder, are they the same sort of player?