Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

MARK FOTHERINGHAM - CITY'S SAVIOUR...

Our downfall this season, in my opinion has largely been due to the absence of Mark Fotheringham. There were 2 games in particular that i think back to, the West Ham friendly and the Southampton home game, where Fozzy was superb. He ran the midfield and his passing game was crucial to winning the Southampton game, and playing well against the Hammers.With the style of football Norwich play, using speedy wingers Hucks and Croft, we require somebody who can confidently and quickly spread the ball and switch the play. Fozzy does this, and did it brilliantly agaisnt Southampton when he came on, and the whole side looked differently and we clicked into place, and won the game 2-1 from 1-0 down. The current crop of midfielders, Brellier, Russell et al cannot do this, Brellier and Russell are defensive midfielders, as is Spillane, Jarvis looks defensive minded too. The difference in our attacking play when Safri played was immense, and its the same with Fozzy. We need an attack minded playmaker to make the best use of our attackers, Hucks, Croft, Cureton etc. We have used 2 defensive midfielders all season, in Brellier and Russell, Jarvis and Spillane. None of these players can pass a ball like i saw Fozzy doing against West Ham and Southampton.Hopefully he''ll be on he bench on saturday, along with Smith we finally seem to have some attacking midfielders, and if we get Quashie even better.OTBC

He had a good 20 minutes or so just before he got injured.

Nice enough bloke, tidy player at times, but not better than Russell, Spillane or others - and i say that from having watched all the pre-season games where he featured.

In no way he is ''City''s Saviour'', that''s just a tad OTT!

I ageree Fozzy is that type of player who will have the balls to create something out of nothing. He will provide the front 2 with the service they have been lacking. We all saw against Soton what he can do!

Ok it was only NOrthampton Ressies, but he looked a cut above everyone else!

Too early to say if he is a saviour or a liability as we have never actually seen him play fit.  Last season he showed flashes (e.g. Sheff Wed away) of what he could do but was generally suffering from not being up to pace with the English game.  This season likewise a good half game against Saints before injury got him. 

I hope your assessment is right but lets not get carried away otherwise if he has one bad game some on here will have him damned forever.

Surely given our situation, having an extra option in midfield is vital, especially if they can pass the ball. The two defensive midfielders haven''t worked at all this season, it''s not as if we have anything to lose playing a more attack orientated central player.

is this another case of someone thinking a player is good in real life, just because he''s good on a computer game?

we haven''t seen enough of Fozzy to judge how good he is, let alone referring to him as our saviour

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Fozzy the saviour?

How desperate can you get?

OTBC

[/quote]

I''m pleased he''s on the comeback, but the thread title is a bit tongue-in-cheek I think Bly [:)]

If he does come good, as we all hope, the bonus will be a creative player who also relishes tackling. In the past we have relied on an attcking/creative central midfielder and a defensive/holding player.  Now in Fuzzy abnd Pattison we seem to have two players who can do both, able to attack together or to defend together. Quite where this might leave Smith or Brellier, who knows.

[quote user="San Miguel"]

is this another case of someone thinking a player is good in real life, just because he''s good on a computer game?

we haven''t seen enough of Fozzy to judge how good he is, let alone referring to him as our saviour

[/quote]Dont be ridiculous, i dont play football manager. If you read my post i am basing this on what i saw against West Ham and Southampton. Fozzy was outstanding and what we have been missing all season.

Well well well, looks like i was right again, Fozzy was outstanding today and is just what we have lacked all season, somebody to make us tick, and pass the ball about. He also got stuck in and made some excellent tackles, an all round superb display.

If he can perform to the level he did today for the next few games I''ll agree with you, but in reality it''s still to early to get excited, consistency is the key.

Spot on, Barclayman.  My man of the match today, just shading Russell (who always wins MoM in the EDP anyway, but who cares...)

Quality set piece delivery, never stopped running, hard tackling, tracked back, ran forwards, full of energy - he was inspirational today.  And I loved the fist pumping towards the River End second half.  He was City''s best player today in spirit and in deed.

[quote user="Freddo"]Went from underrated to overrated in 20 minutes...[/quote]

Couldn''t care less, if he keeps us up, he can have my babies!

[quote user="fuzzyfelt"]

Spot on, Barclayman.  My man of the match today, just shading Russell (who always wins MoM in the EDP anyway, but who cares...)

Quality set piece delivery, never stopped running, hard tackling, tracked back, ran forwards, full of energy - he was inspirational today.  And I loved the fist pumping towards the River End second half.  He was City''s best player today in spirit and in deed.

[/quote]Without question he was man of the match, whoever picks it doesnt know there football because Fozzy was the catalyst today, and he made us tick with his tackling, passing and most importantly, intelligent and quick use of the ball. Thats how Norwich play especially at home, quick passing and movement, high tempo stuff, and Fozzy dictated the pace for 90 mins.

Fozzy made all the difference today. He was mom and dictated the whole game. He''s played 3 times this season and he''s been superb in every game. I really am starting to like this lad and he was really getting into it and jee-ing the crowd up to. That''s the attitude and player that we need.

He also brought a sense of urgency to our game.

In the first half he sprinted 40 yards to get the ball to take a corner!

Last season he wasn''t that fit and was generally used wide left as we had Saf & Dickson in the middle. Whilst one swallow does not make a summer his performance today was by some margin the best individual performance by a City midfielder this season.

He isn''t Ian Crook by any means but at least he enables us to retain possession better - be interesting to see if we can get a striker with pace whether Fozzie can get the through balls into him.

So our downfall has not been anything to do with Grants appointment, one year of stagnation and a poor start to the season because of the way grant hammered positivity in the squad?  No?  Ok, it was because of Fotheringham being injured then.

I agree with Barclayman! IMHO Fozzy is at very least as good as Safri, if not potentially much better. I think he was outtanding today & it was refreshing to see a Norwich player in the middle of the park who can put his foot on the ball & pick out a pass. (the same could also be said about the brilliant Pattison today) In short, I think Fozzy will be fundamental in our upturn in fortunes this season!