Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Palace line up Kenton?

I see in one of the nationals today (rumour I know) that Palace might be after Darren Kenton. I know, I know, we have discussed this possibility on this board loads of times before, but I''ve never seen him linked with other clubs before.

Personally, I would like to get him back and would have thought we would stand a better chance than Palace.

Thoughts?

have we short memories,he did not give a toss about our club when he walked out .same as a certain mr marsall.you make your bed now he can lay on it.

I like you DD would welcome him back with open arms. I don''t understand the anger towards him. He clearly stated that after the Cardiff final he would give us 1 year then he would leave for the preimership. (I have tried to better myself in my proffesional life only to realise the other mans grass may be greener but it take longer to mow! and who hasn''t made a poor decision in thier life?)

My only concern is we all know about his ability but what about his head? I''ll leave that to those who know him!

I''m getting a bit concerned that a few '' targets '' of ours are slipping through our fingers , ie Purse , Scimicer , Crouch etc and it is starting to appear that we don''t want to spend .
I don''t know how much Kenton would cost but the guy has said he''d love to come and play for us and he is Premiership quality , even at 1m he would be a snip . I know it hurts NW and the board that he walked out , but it wasn''t to do with money , he just wanted to play in the Premiership . Looking at our long term defensive situation he would be an asset and help to keep us in the top flight . l think we should act now and sign him up , if the rumours are true that he is available .

i really dont think we need him, we can get better players.
And dont even bother mentioning DARREL SUTCH!

Your right we have got short memories Kenton was a legend here and I too would welcome him back. I don''t blame darren for leaving he wanted to play in the prem. We have to do what is best for the club, and I think he would be a great addition.

I heard Fabian Winless is looking for a mug, errr, I mean a club. :)

I''m firmly in the ''welcome back'' camp. Would give us the pace we lack at the back and the versatility a small squad needs in the Premiership. Would be an ideal signing and we wouldn''t even need a new thread to come up with a ''chant/song'' for him...

i would welcome him back of course...but wanting him back is a different matter.is a great player, but we are capable of bringing in much better.

I think that''s a bit harsh grinner. I wouldn''t have said he didn''t give a toss. He wanted to further his career and on offer came in which he fancied. Just because it hasn''t worked out doesn''t mean we shouldn''t welcome him back. I wouldn''t put Kents in the same catagory as Marshall at all. He was and still is a quality defender who I doubt would cost much. He knows the city, manager and most of the players. Lets not cut our nose off to spite our face!

The players we want , have to be loyal enough to bust their guts for the club that pays them, they need to be focussed enough to work within the team and the structure that is NCFC. When you are looking toward the brightest future you may choose, you are not concentrating on doing your best for the people who are paying your wages. He was guilty of being selfish enough to regarding himself as bigger than his club. Once your motivation is that way then there is no way his type should wear a NFFC shirt. Likewise Garry Mills, who is also a player who puts himself first in any situation.

A toss is something Kenton did not give when he was here, or not unless it suited him. Football is a team game, and you can''t have self-interest put above the interests of the team. That''s what Kenton seemed to do, though I totally understand that during most of that period NCFC looked to him like a basket case - I thought so too at times. NCFC paid for his football schooling, and he could have repaid that by signing a (maybe short-term) contact to give the club some equity in his transfer: he chose not to. But let Worthy decide - he knows him.

My opinion of Kenton - when he played like he meant it, I thought he was quite brilliant. I still remember Steeno and him giving high-fives when they''d "neutralised" an attack together - can''t even remember who against. And I remember him doing a job (in so far as that was possible for a young, lightweight fullback) on David Ginola during a pre-season against Spurs, when the said supermodel was intent on showing off. On the other hand, I remember him in the away game against Millwall, which mattered more, and which we lost 4-0, and he just didn''t give a monkey''s. GGGRRRRRRRRR

I''ve posted on this before and cannot believe that people hold a grudge on him from joining Southhampton - if you were offered a better job would you not take it? He is class and provided Worthy can manage him he will become one of the best defenders in the prem.

P.S Just got back from Euro 2004 saw about five other Norwich fans and had a beer with some gooners who rated Bentley really highly (did not mention Green)

Up the City!

Lets get real we need experienced defensive cover, where will it come from ? I don''t know, but if Kenton is prepared to come back and knuckle down, provided the cost is not prohibitive and his salary demands are reasonable, a lot of ifs but Darren would provide pace at the back and lso cover at Right Back.

I would personally welcome him back and would hope he prefers City to Palace if it is an option, if he is prepared to return, he knows how Worthy works and will be under no illusions as to what will be required. His time at Southampton will have been a lesson to DK from which he will have learned.

Come home Darren.

to say we only want players that think for the team first and then themselves means we will only ever be a lowly Prem or Div one team, or should I say the Championship as it is now known.
Anyway what I mean is all the big clubs that do well in Europe and the domestic cups and Prem positions have a team full of players that would leave for Arsenal if the money was right. Even Steven Gerrard would leave Liverpool if Arsenal guaranteed him 1st team football and more money, because a) he would almost certainly win something and b) get more money.
Its not about loyalty anymore, its about money and trophies, which is why the teams with the most money get the best players and invariably win the most trophies.

If Darren wants to come back and the price is right get him in quick.

I would love to see Kenton come back as he is a classy player with pace and is comfortable on the ball. As to him leaving, what was so wrong about it? He made it abudantly clear that he wanted to try Premiership football. If the Club was so worried then they should have sold him a year earlier rather than let him get to the end of his contract, or have offerred him a contract with a release clause if a bid came in over a certain amount. If we chose to not sell him, or not to offer him a suitably attractive contract, why shouldn''t he have left at the end of his old contract?

The only problem with Kenton when we had him was you never knew which head he had on .when he was in the mood he was unstoppable....the other head ..Mr. idle b***er,pehaps now with hopefully a more mature atitude and the motivational skills of NW i don''t know, but i wouldn''t mind finding out!at the right price and wages, sign him.

"to say we only want players that think for the team first and then themselves means we will only ever be a lowly Prem or Div one team" That''s BS, StevenageFan. The thing about Norwich now and in the successful top division times (and other thriving smaller clubs such as Charlton) is that they used team spirit to the max. Obviously individual skill adds to the mix (as we can see with Hux), but it''s nothing without team spirit, which is why Hux is thriving here when he didn''t elsewhere. A team of individualists isn''t a team.

No one is denying that he left to further himself and his career. Many people have done this in the past.

The problem is that he deliberately didn''t sign a new contract, thus taking money away from the club that nurtured him - US. We made him, and we gave him his chance. The least he could have done is signed a short term contract and allowed us to get some reimbursement for his leaving, but he didn''t and that''s why he can GO WHISTLE as far as I''m concerned.

See you next season Darren. Oh no we won''t because you''re in the reserves.

Old boy I don''t think I made my point very clearly. I agree totally that team spirit is paramount. I was trying to argue with someone further up the thread that said Kenton was selfish for leaving for bigger and better things and therefore not the kind of player we want.
It came out all wrong. My point is in today''s game the players want to play for clubs that pay them well and win trophies. Whilst at any given team they will obviously bond with the players and there will be team spirit but if a better deal comes along, they will take that spirit to the new club.
Who doesn''t want a player that has an ambition to win things anyway? If Kents left us to better himself and now wants to come back because we are in the top flight ourselves then great.

Hear, hear, Stevenage Fan!! And as to Kenton refusing to sign a contract then it should have been made atractive enough for him to sign, as if it wasn''t attractive enough he would presumably leave, which is what he did!!! -Q.E.D.

We all know that we could NEVER match a contract offered by a prem club, especially when that person had ZERO transfer value and therefore even more could offered on wages.

Kenton is out for himself - does the fact that he only started playing well the year his contract finished seem a little fishy to you? Well it does to me.

Darren Kenton should have signed an extended deal and then gone on the transfer list, but instead he played us off, had a few "sick" days here and there to discuss contracts behind our backs, then disappeared with a stripey jumper and a bag marked "swag".