Sign in to follow this  
Grando

Smith keen to stay

This bit of reporting by Chris Lakey in the EDP this morning made me laugh!

"Jimmy Smith could extend his Norwich City loan spell into the new year - even though it could cost him his place in Chelsea''s star-studded line-up. The 20-year-old is due to return to Stamford Bridge next month, just in time to cover for the expected exodus of players involved in the African Nations Cup."

Let''s be honest, Smith''s not going to get a place in the Chelsea first team. He can''t even get in our first eleven, so I think he''d struggle to make the Chelsea youth team!

Desperate journalism... And desperate in my opinion (based on the admittedly small amount I''ve seen of him) if we extend his loan. Desperate and pointless.

I think Roeder should get rid asap.  If it frees up another precious loan spot that he could fill with a far more effective player.

Well he is well valued at Chelsea and no he is not good enough to push for a startuing place at the moment,  but the fact he hasnt performed here is more to the fact that our weak central midfield pair of Brellier, Russell Spillane are prefered to talented youngster who is then asked to play in an unfamiliar position.

Give a run in the middle - he turned QPR around playing there,  he wont win any less ball than the shower we currently start with and has some ability to create and score goals in this league, as shown last season,  which our overly defensively minded options simply cant do.

He''s well thought of at Chelsea.  He was prepared to come here on loan, and is prepared to stay to tough it out when other reserve/youth players from the Prem have shown a distinct lack of appetite for a scrap.

Good on him, and instead of criticising him you should try getting behind the few who want to wear the shirt at the moment, as there aren''t many of them and we need them all.

I just can''t seem him ever figuring in the Chelsea first team. I''ll be surprised if he''s anything more than a very average Championship player, though I hope I''m wrong and he starts to work wonders for us.

I can only assume that the people asking for Smith to be sent back because he is apparently rubbish have had lobotomies and cannot remember last season.  When played in the MIDDLE OF THE PARK and MATCH FIT he hauled QPR out of the mire with his class.  Let me repeat the key phrases again for the terminally stupid out there WHEN MATCH FIT and played in the MIDDLE OF THE PARK.

Has that got through now?

[quote user="25overpar"]I think Roeder should get rid asap.  If it frees up another precious loan spot that he could fill with a far more effective player.[/quote]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="fuzzyfelt"]
as there aren''t many of them and we need them all.

[/quote]

Even if they are crap!.[:|]

[/quote]

Sorry Wiz, but it is too early to say if he is crap as he has only started 2 games due to serious injury (neither were in his best position in the centre).  I agree he has not looked like the answer to a maiden''s prayer in those two outings but there are other targets more deserving of criticism at present.  He also has the benefit of last season''s experience of a Championship relegation dog fight.

[quote user="JC"]

I can only assume that the people asking for Smith to be sent back because he is apparently rubbish have had lobotomies and cannot remember last season.  When played in the MIDDLE OF THE PARK and MATCH FIT he hauled QPR out of the mire with his class.  Let me repeat the key phrases again for the terminally stupid out there WHEN MATCH FIT and played in the MIDDLE OF THE PARK.

[quote user="25overpar"]I think Roeder should get rid asap.  If it frees up another precious loan spot that he could fill with a far more effective player.[/quote]

[/quote]i''d like to think that smith his working his butt off in training this week, and staying behind for extra work, to get his name well in the frame for a central berth middle spot. lets face it, he hasn''t much competition.  he had a dire game on the wing against watford.  hopefully as you say, if match fit and in the middle, he will give a good account of himself - and in turn give us a boost up the table.if he''s not trying to impress roedy - i''d send him packing now - including the likes of brellier etc.

[quote user="JC"]

[/quote]

I only saw him play for QPR against us, so can''t claim to know whether he singlehandedly saved them, as you suggest.

Fine though, bung him in the middle and watch us rise, phoenix-like, from the ashes. I don''t want to criticise our players (loan or otherwise), it''s just that the little I''ve seen of Smith so far has not impressed. I hope you''re right, but Grant''s signings have somewhat dampened my optimism and expectations...

Good to see that the original post has been treated with the contempt it deserves.

The guy has played for us two or three times, out of position, when he''s clearly not match fit - how can you possibly write him off at this stage?

He was outstanding for QPR last season and he could be the player we need in the centre of midfield.

Or we could start booing him and see if that helps.

Did I suggest booing him? No, just that he''s been a disappointment. As I said before, I hope you''re right about his central midfield prowess. Time will tell.

I have watched Smith on many occasions, in training at Cobham, for Chelsea reserves and for QPR. Judging him on the three or so games he''s played a part in at Norwich is a sad indictment of just how idiotic some of you are.He is a class player when played through the middle - he has a way to go yet, and no, he isn''t good enough for the Chelsea 1st XI right now - and he will come good for us if and when he gets match fit and plays in the right position.Mourinho really rated him and he''s not a bad judge of character, is he?

[quote user="Robert no longer in Manila"]

Good to see that the original post has been treated with the contempt it deserves.

The guy has played for us two or three times, out of position, when he''s clearly not match fit - how can you possibly write him off at this stage?

He was outstanding for QPR last season and he could be the player we need in the centre of midfield.

Or we could start booing him and see if that helps.

[/quote]Well said.  It''s like the Rossi Jarvis factor:Fan 1:  What we need in this team is a young midfielder like that Rossi Jarvis, I hear he''s excellent.Fan 2: Yeah, give the kids a chance!Fan 1: Well, they haven''t played him yet.Fan 2:  He''s probably too good and is about to be sold to Man U.Fan 1: Hang on, he''s in the starting line-up.Fan 2: Amazing! We''re going to win 8-0!  I''m off to the bookies.Fan 1:  Has he touched the ball yet?Fan 2: He''s just running around, look at him.  Like a pig on ice.Fan 1:  RUBBISH!Fan 2: TO FEET, YOU MUPPET! WHAT''S THE MATTER WITH YOU?Fan 1: GET HIM OFF, ROEDER!  HE''S USELESS!Fan 2: Ooh, he hit the post!Fan 1: Brilliant, Jarvis!  Another shining product of our youth academy!Fan 2: We can still make the playoffs, you know...

[quote user="King Juan of Spain"]I have watched Smith on many occasions, in training at Cobham, for Chelsea reserves and for QPR. Judging him on the three or so games he''s played a part in at Norwich is a sad indictment of just how idiotic some of you are.

He is a class player when played through the middle - he has a way to go yet, and no, he isn''t good enough for the Chelsea 1st XI right now - and he will come good for us if and when he gets match fit and plays in the right position.

Mourinho really rated him and he''s not a bad judge of character, is he?
[/quote]

I''m sure you''re right KJoS, but you can''t really believe Mourinho''s judgement is as sound as the experts on this thread !