Sign in to follow this  
Hardhouse44

How can you get so wound up if you don't even go

Ok I''ll probably get shot down in flames for this one but it does puzzle me. This is not one of these thread about real fan or not real fans. And it isn''t directed at any one person alone.

But If you don''t actually attend “any” of the matches a season then how can you get so wound up and be so vocal about the club and it running.

Now for me football is a part of my life and Norwich City is the club I support. I attend all home matches and have a season ticket. I get to a handful of away games theses day. Not as many as when I was a young man (I,m only 35 BTW) but family, money and all that.

If we lose I''m pi$$ed off big time. I don''t want to watch a losing team but I get over it. We are not performing well full stop at present and a turn around looks a long way off and that pi$$es me off.

WHY?

Because I dedicate time and money to watching the club. Saturday is a precious day if you work hard all week and £600+ pounds a year is a lot of money for me and my son to pay for season tickets.

Now I understand there is another argument to that. If I don''t like it I don''t have to pay and I don''t have to go. Fine I agree.

However If you don''t ever go and it doesn''t cost you anything I can''t for the life of me see why people have such strong feeling about the current situation. And that work in both ways, the ultra positives and the ultra negatives.

Yes we all want Norwich to be Premiership winners and we could all say that until they are we won''t set foot back in Carrow road. But we could also say until Norwich airport is upgraded so we can fly to Australia we are never going on holiday again.

For me supporting the team is to attend matches. I know I''m getting dangerously close to the I''m a better fan than you thing, but I honestly feel that only those who attend and pay can really be affected.

Right here comes the abuse and posts about how you''d attend if it wasn''t for the fact your head was blown off in the war.

I live in New York City.  Am I less of a fan then?  Am I less disappointed at our losses than you?  The fact that you are equating money spent with love of a club is ridiculous and I almost wonder if your post isn''t a plant just to get Canary supporters riled up more than they already are.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

Ok I''ll probably get shot down in flames for this one but it does puzzle me. This is not one of these thread about real fan or not real fans. And it isn''t directed at any one person alone.

But If you don''t actually attend “any” of the matches a season then how can you get so wound up and be so vocal about the club and it running.

Now for me football is a part of my life and Norwich City is the club I support. I attend all home matches and have a season ticket. I get to a handful of away games theses day. Not as many as when I was a young man (I,m only 35 BTW) but family, money and all that.

If we lose I''m pi$$ed off big time. I don''t want to watch a losing team but I get over it. We are not performing well full stop at present and a turn around looks a long way off and that pi$$es me off.

WHY?

Because I dedicate time and money to watching the club. Saturday is a precious day if you work hard all week and £600+ pounds a year is a lot of money for me and my son to pay for season tickets.

Now I understand there is another argument to that. If I don''t like it I don''t have to pay and I don''t have to go. Fine I agree.

However If you don''t ever go and it doesn''t cost you anything I can''t for the life of me see why people have such strong feeling about the current situation. And that work in both ways, the ultra positives and the ultra negatives.

Yes we all want Norwich to be Premiership winners and we could all say that until they are we won''t set foot back in Carrow road. But we could also say until Norwich airport is upgraded so we can fly to Australia we are never going on holiday again.

For me supporting the team is to attend matches. I know I''m getting dangerously close to the I''m a better fan than you thing, but I honestly feel that only those who attend and pay can really be affected.

Right here comes the abuse and posts about how you''d attend if it wasn''t for the fact your head was blown off in the war.

[/quote]

It''s takes more bottle and effort to make that difficult choice to stay away rather than simply continuing a habit selfishly....

Just like it is easier to continue smoking than give up....Just like it is easier to carry on drinking than give up.....Just like it is easier to stay in a dead end job than start elsewhere.....Just like it is easier to stay in the same relationship rather than meet someone new. Just like it is easier to stay in the same house rather than move....Just like it is easier to give in than to fight....

Going to games is very easy...staying away is the tough part. That''s the difference between the individual who cares about the club enough to act...as opposed to the creature of habit who just wants nothing in his/her life to change.....Some of us want to go...but are concerned enough to make a small sacrifice to bring about change. If there were enough of us....Smith would have left town by now......

i dont go as most of the time im busy, sometimes im in foriegn coutries, does this mean i have less of say, im a fan and have been since i was hooked on norwich at 6, im now 29, i used to go to matches all the time, i even travelled with my father to arnheim and munich, does this make me have no rite to get wound up,

It''s not entirely black and white and varies from case to case. Some people attend every game because they live in Norwich or surrounding areas, whereas others live further away and each home game is like an away game. It takes me a 4 hour trip to Carrow Road for each home game... but I do it. Whilst I don''t consider myself a better fan than people who live further afield, or have genuine reasons not being able to get to games, there are certain supporters (quite a few on this board) who really don''t have any excuse at all. And no matter how much they argue it, to say they''re just us much of a fan as you or me, despite not making any effort at all to get to games and cheer the team on, is a load of old tripe!I wonder what Manchester United supporters who attend every game home and away feel about the "pretend" fans from all over the country. To an extent, it''s a similar thing, only we have much fewer, which is a relief!

I have been a season ticket holder off and on for 20 years or so. I currently don''t have a season ticket this season due to work commitments and have only seen 5 matches home and away so far this season. But this does not make me any less of a fan than you. There are many norwich fans who live too far away, can''t afford to go or like myself have work commitments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on how things are going at the moment, and what you are saying is only the 23,000 fans who go to every game can only have a say. I think you need to have a little re-think on your views.

It might sound odd, but for me it''s because I can''t get there and give my support at the ground as often as I used to / would like.  I go when I can, but it''s not often enough, regardless of how we''re playing right now.If you think this is odd, then you should have been with me on Champions League night when Arsenal were playing Barcelona.  We were in a pub on the Seven Sisters Road, my missus is an Arsenal supporter, we thought there would be a big screen in Finsbury Park, but we piled into a pub instead to watch the game.  Most of the regulars at the pub had gone to Paris as they were season ticket holders, and the pub was packed out with people like me and the wife, who had come back to the area to watch the match from all over the UK.  Most of them hadn''t been to Highbury in donkeys years as they lived away.  I''d say that they enjoyed that game as much as any other Arsenal fan that night.A lot of people have an emotional attachment to this club, built on memories of their youth, regardless of whether they still go to the ground.  A lot of people I know still talk about the football even if they can''t be there to witness it.  Also, the nature of the internet is that a lot of ex-pat Norwich people will want to know what''s going on, and contribute their thoughts here, because they do still care.

When you live away, every piece of info about the club is consumed feverishly and there is a real feeling of it being doubly important that you declare and show your support to others who have no interest in your team. I don''t live in New York but in Warwickshire but I believe the same applies.

However, I am also a season ticket holder and unless you''ve suffered the debillitating dross first hand you cannot possibly comprehend just how dire and dreadful our situation is, everything else is just hearsay, opinion and Neil Adams. 

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]I live in New York City.  Am I less of a fan then?  Am I less disappointed at our losses than you?  The fact that you are equating money spent with love of a club is ridiculous and I almost wonder if your post isn''t a plant just to get Canary supporters riled up more than they already are.[/quote]

My post is genuine. I can for the life of me understand why some people support an American football team but are English, live here and never attend.

I have stated in my post I mean no offence and that is genuine too.

You say that I''m am equating money spent with the love of a club. Your "Dang" right I am. And Time. If you love Norwich as much as you say come a live here a attend every week. I being extreme, but it''s what I do. I''m a business man, run my own company, I know for a fact that I could make more money if I moved to the midlands (More chimney pots. If your a salesman that means everything)

I wouldn''t leave for many reason but high up there would be how difficult it would make attending football every week.

Guess we see things differently. If you buy one big mac a month yet your buddy buys one every day surely he''s a bigger fan of big mac’s than you isn''t he.

Tell me are have you ever been a regular attendee a Carrow Road?

That''s an interesting post HH44 and I can see where you are coming from, but I don''t think you can measure a fan by the amount of games they attend.  I go to all home matches and as many away as I can possibly get to, which is usually 20+.  But there have been periods in my life where other commitments have made it not possible to go away and at times home games too. But during those periods I was still as much of a fan as I am now. I still loved the club and dreamed the dream.

Other people who can''t go so often for various reasons love the club and dream the dream as much as me, I know that for a fact. Location, illhealth, lack of money, work commitments and so many other things stop fans getting to games but their spirit is there with ours.

But what I think is unfair, and it happens on here a lot, is that posters who never go to games tell those that do go to protest. Supporters who don''t have season tickets pretend they are not renewing them. Posters claim to be boycotting games that they never had a ticket for in the first place. And however do posters manage to contribute to the player ratings and performance ratings after games they never saw!!!

What an amazingly naive post!

Surely you realise that adopting a football club is a lifetime bonding issue and one doesn''t have to worship at the alter every other Saturday to hurt at a loss or feel joy at a win?

I live in London and for well over two decades I never missed a City game in and around the south east even to the extent of attending an obscure indoor 5-a-side tournament in Wokingham! (Did anyone else get to that?)

My forays to Carrow Road were necessarily spasmodic but I remember especially an evening testimonial game for Barry Staton featuring Jimmy Hill and Ollie Burton in an Invitation XI when I knew I couldn''t get back to my then Surrey home and had to try to sleep on a bench in Regent''s Park.

I''m afraid the costs and time involved today in watching what will almost certainly be undiluted tosh (I was at QPR) now mitigate against other than the odd match attendance.

But do I still care about the parlous state of the Club?

You bet, as I said it''s a lifetime thing.

Calm down lads ..........

Opinions are a right of everyone .Just because people don''t pay their money through the turnstile,for whatever reason, doesn''t make them any less of a fan .On that basis the Manure would only have about 70,000 ''fans''.

What does puzzle me ,as a paying supporter of nearly 50 years standing, is the sheer continuous vitriol directed at individuals within the club. What might start out as dissatisfaction with the board generally has degenerated into some pretty spiteful personal abuse towards individuals. I don''t think that comments such as - " Let''s tell the bloody cook to pi$$ of back to Stowmarket" are a mature way of instigating any change at board level. Those who wish to protest have that right but don''t knock the majority for having an opposite view to yours and  resort to juvenile name-calling against anyone who still has,and will always have,faith in ''their'' club , whatever state it may be in now  [:(]  

[quote user="Cluck"][quote user="Hardhouse44"]

WHY?

[/quote]

It''s takes more bottle and effort to make that difficult choice to stay away rather than simply continuing a habit selfishly....

Just like it is easier to continue smoking than give up....Just like it is easier to carry on drinking than give up.....Just like it is easier to stay in a dead end job than start elsewhere.....Just like it is easier to stay in the same relationship rather than meet someone new. Just like it is easier to stay in the same house rather than move....Just like it is easier to give in than to fight....

Going to games is very easy...staying away is the tough part. That''s the difference between the individual who cares about the club enough to act...as opposed to the creature of habit who just wants nothing in his/her life to change.....Some of us want to go...but are concerned enough to make a small sacrifice to bring about change. If there were enough of us....Smith would have left town by now......

[/quote]

Cluck only you could be arrogant enough to think that you can take the moral high ground by doing nothing. I suppose the cost of an extra seat for your ego must also make it prohibitive, despite you being Norfolk business man of the year several years running. Keep it up.

PS. Perhaps you and Arthur could start your own third protest by  getting a group of you together and doing, er, nothing. 

[quote user="Cluck"]

Going to games is very easy...staying away is the tough part. [/quote]

Another clue for you there, Yankee. You don''t really think he means this stuff, do you?

I have three views on this.

1) If you''re not going to games, or watching them live on TV, you can''t possibly comment on the current players

2) If for some reason you can''t get to games, that doesn''t stop you caring about the club.

3) Anyone who doesn''t go to Carrow Road despite living within walking distance, but can be bothered to hang around outside the ground waiting to shout illiterate abuse at Doncaster, is a little weird.

WHY?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Your ego leads you to believe you could actually bring about this change while mine tells me that it is always down to the persons who actually pull the stings.

You want Smith out, fine I don''t argue with that I''d be glad to see the back of her too. However my point was that If you don''t want to attend until your 100% happy and getting what you want from Norwich City PLC that’s fine too. But say Delia never sells say we never get out of this and say we stay in the 1div for the next 10 years. Your cause will be long forgotten and so will you. You are making your stand but are you really that passionate about this club. Nope, your a wind up merchant that has a spell checker and a thesaurus. Don''t get me wrong I believe that if we all stayed away from Carrow road everybody, every man jack of us that it would most definitely bring the end of Delia’s reign. She also has a big ego. I don''t however think it is possible to ever, ever organize such a thing or even that it would make us any better. Hence I feel if you are, like me a football fan who like a few beers with his mates beforehand and a good old shout and moan occasionally and who is well aware of what we have been what we can be and what we are your way is cutting off you nose to spite your face.

More that one way to skin a cat.

See you at the protest!?!?

Wait a minute some of you are missing my point or may be I didn''t get it over right.

If you can''t get to every game, if your not able to attend every week or you don''t have a season ticket is not the point.

Some on here have never ever been to a Norwich city game in there lives and some choose not to go because they have better things to do and some stay away because the standards are not good enough.

To those people I still say why are you bothering to post on here with such passion when you don''t ever watch the football any way.

As for the guy who brought up the disabled fans. I was under the impression we had excellent disabled facilities at Carrow Road. Maybe you should go and see them some time. Or should I have put that my point referred to able bodied people only. Idiot.

I haven''t been to Carrow Road since 1987 when I spent some time in Cambridge. I was born in New York and am a true Yank. I just haven''t been back to EA since. But I do read everything I possibly can about the team, see as many games as I can, and remember the days of Sutton, Fox, Ekoku and Gunn fondly. I am a New York Yankee and New York Jets season ticket holder, and I sandwich NCFC right in between the two in terms of "love."  My 2 kids are kitted out in canary gear even they have no idea what it means (3 and 1 years old). 

But while this thread seems to have put me on the defensive, its no big deal. I think that if we were mid-table, threads like this would never appear.  Being bottom seems to have quite understandibly brought out the anger in most of us, and it has turned fellow fan against one another in a particularly unattractive way.  I am content to leave things be and agree to disagree, but still wonder, what was the point of this thread?

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]

I haven''t been to Carrow Road since 1987 when I spent some time in Cambridge. I was born in New York and am a true Yank. I just haven''t been back to EA since. But I do read everything I possibly can about the team, see as many games as I can, and remember the days of Sutton, Fox, Ekoku and Gunn fondly. I am a New York Yankee and New York Jets season ticket holder, and I sandwich NCFC right in between the two in terms of "love."  My 2 kids are kitted out in canary gear even they have no idea what it means (3 and 1 years old). 

But while this thread seems to have put me on the defensive, its no big deal. I think that if we were mid-table, threads like this would never appear.  Being bottom seems to have quite understandibly brought out the anger in most of us, and it has turned fellow fan against one another in a particularly unattractive way.  I am content to leave things be and agree to disagree, but still wonder, what was the point of this thread?

[/quote]The point is that there is to much abuses being hurled around on this forum and others between people who clai to support Norwich City. Some of whom never attend and have never attended a game in their lives. And I find it puzzling and from some a bit rich.

Maybe I should go visit the disabled facilities when and if I am well eneugh. I went to every game home and away, weekends, midweek for 20 years. I''ve found myself in some dismal places over the years come rain or shine some midweek games in the eighties at really obscure places with the same regular 30-40(yes a few as that) travelling fans.

Huddled at Stamford bridge under the old scoreboard trying to shelter from the downpour, but now I have been incapacatated and can''t go you lable me as not a fan.

I just hope you never experience the 8 years I just have.

[quote user="inch_high"]

Maybe I should go visit the disabled facilities when and if I am well eneugh. I went to every game home and away, weekends, midweek for 20 years. I''ve found myself in some dismal places over the years come rain or shine some midweek games in the eighties at really obscure places with the same regular 30-40(yes a few as that) travelling fans.

Huddled at Stamford bridge under the old scoreboard trying to shelter from the downpour, but now I have been incapacatated and can''t go you lable me as not a fan.

I just hope you never experience the 8 years I just have.

[/quote]

No, I didn''t label you as not a fan. You felt the need to list the amount of games you attended even highlighting the weather conditions you watched some matches in. Why. Sounds like you fell that make you a better fan than others. My point was that some who never attend or attended get very wound up. I asked why.

Totally agree Robert,

I have supported Norwich since I was to young to remember, just as my dad and grandad do.

I now live in Leeds but listen to every home game on the internet, and watch as many away games (north) as poss.

Norwich City FC runs through my veins, it destroys me to hear a goal being conceeded, but I feel so high when we score or win.

Everyone has there rights to an opinion but you have to know what your taking about if that point is to be valid.

I''m proud to support NCFC, and if people are still supporting us when were bottom of the championship there hardly glory supports and I welcome there support.

WHY?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good post HH44 and Cluck''s reply too........

Firstly I think that purely because people don''t go NOW doesn''t mean that they''ve NEVER been to a City game. Setting aside the fact that there are many people who for one reason or another don''t attend matches, i.e, work, family commitments, ill-health, etc, etc, there are people like Cluck and Smudger who are as spiritually committed City fans as others on here but don''t agree with the way the Club is being run. For that reason alone as a way of protest they chose not to physically attend matches and thereby deprive the Club of revenue in the hope that by doing this things will change in the Boardroom. Perhaps in time this will have the desired effect ?

I would perhaps take issue with Cluck when he says that us '' creatures of habit '' who do attend matches want nothing to change in our lives. We do want things to change at Carrow Road, Cluck, of course we do. And we might be mis-guided in turning up on auto-pilot every time but there is a chance that the little bit of extra revenue we generate might - just might - lead to better things on the pitch. 

I would guess that Cluck is around my age, mid-50''s, and Smudger is in his mid-30''s. Forget all this nonsense that they''re Ipswich supporters. I''ll bet they''ve been to hundred''s of matches over the years and the fact that they don''t attend now doesn''t mean that they''re any less passionate about about our Club.

The one thing we hopefully can all agree on is that changes MUST be made, either by a change of Club ownership - which I would welcome- or, if the present incumbents don''t feel able or willing to let go then a substantial cash injection must be made available to our new manager if he''s to have any hope at all of saving this Club from sliding into Division One.

Hardhouse, you talk about investing your time as if you should be congratulated for it, which is frankly ridiculous.

I think  fans of any club who are exiled abroad, or in a different part of the country, or who are limited by money or young children would dearly love to be able to spend more time watching their club but they simply can''t. The fact that you can makes you lucky in my book, not dedicated.

Hardhouse, if someone has a son or daughter who emigrates, you dont see them for years, do you love them less, of course not. Its the same with City. There are many reasons for people not attending mine is my work mostly clashes with games, at the moment i refuse to go even if i was let in for nout, till Smith has gone.

I spent years following  city home and away spending thousands along the way, just because i dont go now does not mean i love my club any less, much like the son or daughter who has emigrated.

There are many reasons people dont go, distance, finance, health and protest but that does not mean they have no feeling for the club.

[quote user="Chabal"]

Hardhouse, you talk about investing your time as if you should be congratulated for it, which is frankly ridiculous.

I think  fans of any club who are exiled abroad, or in a different part of the country, or who are limited by money or young children would dearly love to be able to spend more time watching their club but they simply can''t. The fact that you can makes you lucky in my book, not dedicated.

[/quote]

Well hang on. I never said that you had to go to support the team I asked why those people get so wound up.

Whos asking to be congratulated not me. However if I didn''t go and nor did the other 24000 people there wouldn''t be a Norwich City for the skint, exiled father of 100 children to read about in 3 day old imported copies of the Sun.

[quote user="ricky knight"]

Hardhouse, if someone has a son or daughter who emigrates, you dont see them for years, do you love them less, of course not. Its the same with City. There are many reasons for people not attending mine is my work mostly clashes with games, at the moment i refuse to go even if i was let in for nout, till Smith has gone.

I spent years following  city home and away spending thousands along the way, just because i dont go now does not mean i love my club any less, much like the son or daughter who has emigrated.

There are many reasons people dont go, distance, finance, health and protest but that does not mean they have no feeling for the club.

[/quote]

Good analogy Ricky [Y]. I live in Dorset now but always went regularly as a kid/teenager when i lived in my home city. Not everyone born in Norwich ends up living there permanently, but living down south doesn''t stop me following the team that i love. I still try to make a few games a season, but they are admittedly few and far between.

Look how many ''Man Utd fans'' that have never been to the north west, let alone Old Trafford. Although they are just fans/glory hunters, not real supporters in my opinion...

Hardhouse44 you are happy to highlight why you go now but I can''t express the dedication I commited to this club in time money(which amounted to many thousands) and weather conditions?

It''s wasn''t a hobby for me as I suspect it is for you, It''s deeply rooted in my blood and just will no go away. The passion is still there but the body is not willing.

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]I live in New York City.  Am I less of a fan then?  Am I less disappointed at our losses than you?  The fact that you are equating money spent with love of a club is ridiculous and I almost wonder if your post isn''t a plant just to get Canary supporters riled up more than they already are.[/quote]

My post is genuine. I can for the life of me understand why some people support an American football team but are English, live here and never attend.

I have stated in my post I mean no offence and that is genuine too.

You say that I''m am equating money spent with the love of a club. Your "Dang" right I am. And Time. If you love Norwich as much as you say come a live here a attend every week. I being extreme, but it''s what I do. I''m a business man, run my own company, I know for a fact that I could make more money if I moved to the midlands (More chimney pots. If your a salesman that means everything)

I wouldn''t leave for many reason but high up there would be how difficult it would make attending football every week.

Guess we see things differently. If you buy one big mac a month yet your buddy buys one every day surely he''s a bigger fan of big mac’s than you isn''t he.

Tell me are have you ever been a regular attendee a Carrow Road?

[/quote]Hardhouse you are digging yourself into a hole on this one! I have friends here in norwich who support man u, liverpool, arsenal and spurs. Some of them used to live near their clubs and have moved to norfolk. This does not mean they have to stop supporting their clubs who they have supported all their lives. I was born here in norwich, supported them all my life and would never say to anyone you can not be passionate about norwich just because you don''t get to see them. I think someone  running their own business like yourself, would not have such selfish odd views!