Sign in to follow this  
Ark

Real Mallorca

Just read the bit on the front page about our last friendly. Not quite Real Madrid, but I think they''ve been undersold a bit on a 7-1 defeat to Newcastle. I remember them narrowly missing out to Lazio 2-1 in the last ever Cup Winners'' Cup final (1999 I''m told) after knocking out Chelsea - the then champions - in the semis.

Only really know the name from PES to be honest. Another thing I remember of the team back then was that they had Argentina''s 1998 world cup goalkeeper Carlos Roa... And something about their stadium being on an island (I think).

Also - I might have this wrong - but wasn''t it Mallorca that pulled out of a pre-season friendly with us a few seasons back, replaced by Borussia Monchengladbach (sp?) for Daryl Sutch''s "testimonial" (a crowd of 6000 turned out for a 0-0 draw from what I remember).

Should be a good test by my reckoning, and shows how we are viewed on the Continent that a top team like Real Mallorca are willing to come to our gaff and pit their wits/might against us... Wonder if they''re aware of our formidable home record?!?

no i can''t wait either - to think we can attract a top spanish side to our club is brilliant, will definately be going

maybe we should arrange a meet b4 the game

anyone up for that?

I went to the Nou Camp in March to see them play Barcelona. They looked pretty poor and after about 85 minutes were 3-0 down. Ronaldinho and Davids utterly dominated the match.
But they pulled two good goals back and E-tho (how dya spell it?) almost snatched an equaliser in injury time when he hit the bar!!! E-tho had made it 3-1 with a sublime chip, the guy is class.

They''ll give us a good game, as Ajax did a couple of years ago.

"Their stadium being on an island".

Whatever next.

;-)