Sign in to follow this  
Indy_Bones

The Board, The Players & The Fans

It''s pretty clear from a large percentage of the posts on here and the general fans viewpoint that the majority are unsatisfied with the performance of the board and want a change, and being fair I think we all pretty much agree with this.

However looking at this sensibly, we''re not simply asking for a new board/investor to simply come in and takeover the majority shareholding, we actually want someone to not only come in, but also then provide significant financing in order to clear debts and make team improvements.

There''s been some fairly well educated guesses recently about the value of the shares held by Delia et al, and the suggestion is that any potential investor would need to splash out anywhere between £10-15 million to simply gain the majority shareholding of the club.

If you then take into account the £17 million debt we currently have, it becomes closer to £30-35 million (assuming that we want the debt clearing, which I feel almost everyone would), and then you need to add in the player purchases most feel are vital to improve our fortunes, and being honest, this could cost anywhere from £10-15 million upwards to get some real quality in and have a squad genuinely capable of not only competing at CCC level, but to also try to gain Premiership entry.

So overall you''re looking at a required investment of approx £45-50 million, just to get us back on an even keel and challenging competitively, and this still wouldn''t guarantee us Promotion.

This is clearly a big gamble for ANY potential investor, and unless we were GUARANTEED to receive the level of financial support we need to try to take the club forward, then there is no quantifiable benefit to making the change.

So all this being said, is there a defined point behind my post?

I think there is, and I don''t see it as being one that will be readily agreed with. I personally feel that all the effort being made into trying to organise protests etc, would be better served into getting behind Roeder and trying to at least motivate and support the current squad - despite how badly they are failing at the minute. Some have said that we''ve simply signed players who aren''t good enough, I don''t agree, but playing Devil''s advocate, even if they aren''t good enough, that''s no excuse for what seems to be a total lack of desire and effort being put in. Andy Hughes wasn''t the greatest player but you always got 100% from him, and if we were seeing that at the minute I''d be far happier, and also feel we''d potentially be getting the results.

Roeder has done well so far, and clearly seems to have an edge over the previous managers in the level of player he''s looking to bring in (and likely to succeed in). Demonstrating against the board, however justified it may be, simply isn''t going to help our present position. What we really need is for the people going to the matches to give the same sort of support they did in the derby match, and for the players to actually start showing they give a damn and deserve our fantastic support.

The whole support situation is a bit "Catch 22" if we''re honest, the players who SHOULD already be motivated by good wages and playing for a good club clearly aren''t motivated, and are looking for some real support from the terraces to give them a real confidence boost, HOWEVER, the fans are so fed up of seeing dire performances and a lack of effort, that they are being given no reason to give this motivational boost. So instead, we have a bunch of players putting in sub par performances, being watched by a mainly silent, discontented crowd. Hardly any wonder that we''re not setting the league alight is it?

The fact from the derby match was that when we all got behind the guys and maintained fantastic support throughout, the players responded, and only a blind fool would say that we didn''t deserve to win the match, yet when we played Watford and Plymouth, that great support suddenly vanished and we played like crap again. THIS IS NOT A COINCIDENCE.

In short, like many I think a change at the top is needed, but I just don''t see that organising demo''s etc is the most suitable action we as fans should be taking at the minute. Yes, the board have got it badly wrong in recent seasons, Yes, we need some genuine investment in the team to improve the squad, but I''m not willing to support a takeover unless we are going to get genuine and guaranteed support in these areas.

This doesn''t make me a Delia supporter, or a sheep, or an apologist. Nor does it mean I''m in support of the board and am giving them another chance. It simply means that I feel the best way as fans we can help get the results we need is by giving 100% support to the manager and players in each and every single game. There''s no point in having 24,000 people turn up to Carrow Road each week if they''re simply either going to sit in silence, or start booing our own team. Of course, as a supporter you''ve paid for your ticket and have a right to express your opinions accordingly, but surely it''s clear by now how ineffective this action has been?

A study conducted across workplaces in the UK recently established that only 19% of employees respond to a ''negative'' approach, e.g. "That piece of work you did earlier was total crap", whereas nearly 67% responded well to ''positive'' comments. Whilst a football team doesn''t fit the standard worklplace model, it''s clearly something that is applicable pretty much across every profession as it''s based upon human response.

So how about it? Any chance we can put all the negative actions on hold for the time being whilst we give our full support to help Roeder get us out of this mess? Or does anyone genuinely think that booing the team, demonstrating against the board, and writing condemning letters to the press is having a positive impact on our fortunes at the minute???

Thoughts?

Good post Indy_Bones. I think a lot of people will share your sentiments, yes people aren''t happy with the baord but now is not the time to protest, we need to get behind Roeder and move out of the bottom 6 first.

Indy, you are normally a reasonably good poster and it is easy to be sympathetic to your sentiment but, I have to tell you, this is a little like what your post reads to me:

My wife had times in the past when she was beautiful, HOWEVER,for the past 40 years she has been very, very fat. I think almost everyone in her life would like her to lose weight ( I certainly would ). This is affecting her life in so many ways and her performance has suffered. I''m at a loss to know how to motivate her. She already has a far greater allowance monetarily for her food shopping so she has no complaints there, HOWEVER, this also makes her weight increase. THIS IS NO COINCIDENCE. There is no point in me criticising her because there are so many studies that indicate this will only make her more depressed and fatter. I would like to replace her, HOWEVER, now that I''m older too I''m not such an attractive investment for slimmer women. I think the only solution at the moment is for me to provide full support to my wife and hope that she will see the light and become a slimmer woman. Thoughts anyone?

P.S. She is 83 years old.

Yawn, yawn, yawn... what a load of clap trap....

£8million to buy Delia and hubby out (seeing as they are so keen to sell and not wanting to make a profit)...

Plus approx £10million to buy the other fools out and spend on the team equates to £18million.

Any time that you fancy another little maths lesson Indy, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Kind Regards,

Smudge x 

[quote user="Smudger"]

£8million to buy Delia and hubby out (seeing as they are so keen to sell and not wanting to make a profit)...

Plus approx £10million to buy the other fools out and spend on the team equates to £18million.

Any time that you fancy another little maths lesson Indy, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Kind Regards,

Smudge x [/quote]Hang on a minute,

I''m working on the principle that if someone is going to takeover from Delia, I''d like them to also clear off our debts and spend some money on players, this has got nothing to do with my mathematical abilities, which on a side note can assure you are not insufficient.

You''re purely working on the cost to obtain the majority of the shares, and the debt etc can go to hell.

I would suggest that it would cost approx £10 million to buy Delia and MWJ out, and probably another £4-5 million if the investor also wanted to obtain most of the remaining shares. So we have a potential £15 million cost to takeover. We can quibble about figures all night, but as neither of us can prove facts either way, it''s somewhat of a moot point. If we were to accept my suggestions (which I doubt you will), then you''d only be looking for the new owner to spend £3-4 million on new players. Not exactly a lot considering current market prices when players like Chopra and Jones are going for £5-6 million a pop.

Aside from looking to question my arithmetic and arguing the minuitae over how much the shares are worth, do you actually have anything constructive to say about the main content of my post, or do you think that simply offering a sarcastic answer is enough for you to sidestep voicing a fair opinion? If you don''t agree with the post, fair play, that''s the whole point of a forum, but if you''re going to slate something, how about at least offering some constructive reasoning about why you disagree.

I''m don''t go round dishing personal abuse out because people don''t agree with my viewpoint, and considering the sort of stuff that''s been sent in your direction over the last 12 months I would have thought that you''d appreciate posters who behave in this manner and look to actually debate their opinions instead of resorting to childish behaviour and name calling.

Not agreeing with a poster is one thing, but at least have the decency to give a reasoned answer to a reasoned post.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Smudger"]

Kind Regards,

Smudge x [/quote]Hang on a minute,

I''m working on the principle that if someone is going to takeover from Delia, I''d like them to also clear off our debts and spend some money on players, this has got nothing to do with my mathematical abilities, which on a side note can assure you are not insufficient.

You''re purely working on the cost to obtain the majority of the shares, and the debt etc can go to hell.

I would suggest that it would cost approx £10 million to buy Delia and MWJ out, and probably another £4-5 million if the investor also wanted to obtain most of the remaining shares. So we have a potential £15 million cost to takeover. We can quibble about figures all night, but as neither of us can prove facts either way, it''s somewhat of a moot point. If we were to accept my suggestions (which I doubt you will), then you''d only be looking for the new owner to spend £3-4 million on new players. Not exactly a lot considering current market prices when players like Chopra and Jones are going for £5-6 million a pop.

Aside from looking to question my arithmetic and arguing the minuitae over how much the shares are worth, do you actually have anything constructive to say about the main content of my post, or do you think that simply offering a sarcastic answer is enough for you to sidestep voicing a fair opinion? If you don''t agree with the post, fair play, that''s the whole point of a forum, but if you''re going to slate something, how about at least offering some constructive reasoning about why you disagree.

I''m don''t go round dishing personal abuse out because people don''t agree with my viewpoint, and considering the sort of stuff that''s been sent in your direction over the last 12 months I would have thought that you''d appreciate posters who behave in this manner and look to actually debate their opinions instead of resorting to childish behaviour and name calling.

Not agreeing with a poster is one thing, but at least have the decency to give a reasoned answer to a reasoned post.

[/quote]

Why???

Are Delia & Co going to clear our debt tomorrow?  No

Are they going to spend a few £million in the January transfer window?  What makes you think that any new owner should instantly clear the debt... surely any new owner would take over the current debt repayments and pay it off over a number of years while putting a team together on the pitch that can challenge for promotion?

As for the insults... I would rather them then have to waist half my life trying to make a sheep like yourself that would lick Delia''s ass til the cows come home try to understand!!!

Good day to you... [:P]