Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Chase/Boxing Day/Southend!

Remember? 1500 protestors! and it got quite ugly at times.

My point?.

Forget badly organised ''planned'' protests, the above one wasn''t planned at all, it just exploded onto the scene after another bad home defeat.

Fast forward to the Coventry home game, could that be the game to trigger the fans protest? or what about the Plymouth and Sheffield Utd games, or indeed Charlton on Boxing Day itself?.

One thing is for certain though, especially if the poor results still continue, a huge and nasty demo is just around the corner, and no amount of ''anti demo'' posters on here or anywhere will stop it.

Events have gone too far now, history warns us of this.

Agreed?.

Yes you are probably right Wiz. I do agree. Just like the protests that happened at the end of the Burnley game against Worthy. It''s results driven, pure and simple.

But it should also be remebered that history also warns us that Chases replacement was the current board and Worthy''s replacement was Peter Grant.

Before anyone asks or says, I''d much prefer we won those games I mentioned, and I rather there was no protest if its as badly organised as this latest one appears to be.

That would just destroy any credibilty they had.

On the day and a total surprise is best imo.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Before anyone asks or says, I''d much prefer we won those games I mentioned, and I rather there was no protest if its as badly organised as this latest one appears to be.

That would just destroy any credibilty they had.

On the day and a total surprise is best imo.

[/quote]

What a load of nonsense WIZ...

None of the events mentioned above were spontaneous...

Chase had been under pressure from a certain element for years and Worthy had been under mounting pressure for at least 12 months or so and had seen plenty of demos taking place prior to the Burnley game.

Please don''t try an re-write history.... [:)]

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Don''t have to re-write anything mate, I was in the thick of it that day, as no doubt were you. Until ''Saffend'' scored, everything was calm, then when they did score, it all kicked off, there were no organised groups, nothing, just an angry mob, inside and later outside the ground!.

Was it because of the cold, the result or Chase, I''m still not sure, but the sheer anger that day was tangible and quite scary........I''ve re-written nowt mate![:|]

[quote user="Smudger"]and Worthy had been under mounting pressure for at least 12 months or so and had seen plenty of demos taking place prior to the Burnley game.

[/quote]

Worthy!!!!!!!!!!

And you have the gall to accuse me of re-writing history![:D]

I have to say that the pressure had built up and the first spontaneous protest was the year we got relagated at home to Notts Forest.  We lost one nil to a late goal and i remember staying in the Barclays with about 200 others for about half an hour protesting, then as we were kicked out of the ground we turned on to Carrow Road to see about 300 more sat on the road protesting!!  it received front page coverage in the Evening News the next day and was the first of a few protests that year!!  The site of horses knocking people down outside the city stand still makes me laugh!!

the Worthy out Protests were all planned.. Except for the one against Sheffield Wednesday and the scum!

I was probably the first person round the back of the city stand after the sheff wed game.. was suprised when more people came over

jas :)

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"]The site of horses knocking people down outside the city stand still makes me laugh!!
[/quote]

Unless you were one of the poor sods knocked down eh?.[:@]

smudger you are wrong . as wiz said  the 1st domo against chase was spontaineous . and went on till he went. if you remember it was him who got to police horses in as he was on the police  committee.if you was there on the one against aston villa  the whole of carrow rd was packed . i really think not many people would do a domo now as the jonny come latelys  HAVEN''T  got the  bottle. +  the ob will just section 5 you  if more than 200. respects  on the ball city from a over 45

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"]The site of horses knocking people down outside the city stand still makes me laugh!![/quote]

Unless you were one of the poor sods knocked down eh?.[:@]

[/quote]It''s all part of the fun and games!!  If you put yourself in that position then you have to accept it!!  yes i was there dodging the horses and legging it from the dogs so i speak from experience!!

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"]I have to say that the pressure had built up and the first spontaneous protest was the year we got relagated at home to Notts Forest.  We lost one nil to a late goal and i remember staying in the Barclays with about 200 others for about half an hour protesting, then as we were kicked out of the ground we turned on to Carrow Road to see about 300 more sat on the road protesting!!  it received front page coverage in the Evening News the next day and was the first of a few protests that year!!  The site of horses knocking people down outside the city stand still makes me laugh!!
[/quote]

Glad you found it funny, cause it scared the life out of me at the time.

[quote user="Hissing Sid"]

[/quote]

Same here Sid, and I still won''t go near horses!. [:|]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Hissing Sid"]

[/quote]

Same here Sid, and I still won''t go near horses!. [:|]

[/quote]

You''re doing it all wrong Wizard. You have to learn to ride them, not run from them.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

You''re doing it all wrong Wizard. You have to learn to ride them, not run from them.

[/quote]

Unless you were there you have no idea.................clearly you wern''t![:|]

Yankee, I can ride to a competitive standard, and well enough to join the police (probably) but I was scared of being trampled by them. Don''t mind admitting it.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

Unless you were there you have no idea.................clearly you wern''t![:|]

[/quote]

I was there Wizard. My horse was the big black stallion.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Don''t have to re-write anything mate, I was in the thick of it that day, as no doubt were you. Until ''Saffend'' scored, everything was calm, then when they did score, it all kicked off, there were no organised groups, nothing, just an angry mob, inside and later outside the ground!.

Was it because of the cold, the result or Chase, I''m still not sure, but the sheer anger that day was tangible and quite scary........I''ve re-written nowt mate![:|]

[/quote]I remember it well, there was snow on the ground and it was minus 4 and absolutely bloody freezing, It took me a couple of hours to warm up when I got home that night after protesting on Carrow Road for about an hour, there certainly seemed to be more hatred towards Chase in his later days than there has been towards Delia so far. I seem to remember Chase employing a body guard after he was abused and graffiti was daubed outside his house.I also remember being at a meeting outside City hall being addressed by Roy Blower on a freezing cold November night, there was about 300 of us there, they were the days.

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"] We lost one nil to a late goal and i remember staying in the Barclays with about 200 others for about half an hour protesting, then as we were kicked out of the ground we turned on to Carrow Road to see about 300 more sat on the road protesting!!  [/quote]What were you all doing in Barclays? Can''t imagine going in there had much impact!

(sorry [:$])

[quote user="uncle joe"]

smudger you are wrong . as wiz said  the 1st domo against chase was spontaineous . and went on till he went. if you remember it was him who got to police horses in as he was on the police  committee.if you was there on the one against aston villa  the whole of carrow rd was packed . i really think not many people would do a domo now as the jonny come latelys  HAVEN''T  got the  bottle. +  the ob will just section 5 you  if more than 200. respects  on the ball city from a over 45

[/quote]

Load of clap trap... does nobody remember "Brown in, Chase Out" then???

How many years earlier was that???

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]I remember it well, there was snow on the ground and it was minus 4 and absolutely bloody freezing, It took me a couple of hours to warm up when I got home that night after protesting on Carrow Road for about an hour, there certainly seemed to be more hatred towards Chase in his later days than there has been towards Delia so far. I seem to remember Chase employing a body guard after he was abused and graffiti was daubed outside his house.I also remember being at a meeting outside City hall being addressed by Roy Blower on a freezing cold November night, there was about 300 of us there, they were the days.[/quote] Yes, and we don''t want them to return - do we? I was there outside City Hall too. And the snow, but most of all the hatred and the split between fans, far worse than now. Let''s hope we can turn the corner and not have to go through all that again.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"] Let''s hope we can turn the corner and not have to go through all that again.[/quote]

I rarely disagree with you Gazza, but I will now.

Sadly I DO hope we go through that all again, as I firmly believe that City''s only hope of true salvation is to be totally free of the cook!.

When you''re sick, sometimes you need to swallow some nasty tasting medicine to get better!.

I feel sorry for so many of the people on here who harp on about past events, latch on to a current sense of campaigning or generally fail to keep a normal sense of proportion.

I realy hope you have done more, do more and look forward to doing more with your lives.

I was one of those people sat outside on the road, I can remember someone letting the police van''s tyres down while 300 people made hissing sounds to mask it. That was funny. As for the horses, my mate got rushed by one, then pinned against an advertising hoarding by it. He was so scared he punched the horse. Poor Horse!

[quote user="gazzathegreat"] Let''s hope we can turn the corner and not have to go through all that again.[/quote]

I rarely disagree with you Gazza, but I will now.

Sadly I DO hope we go through that all again, as I firmly believe that City''s only hope of true salvation is to be totally free of the cook!.

When you''re sick, sometimes you need to swallow some nasty tasting medicine to get better!.

[/quote]

This time we have a "woman" in charge though Wiz....so expect something on the lines of a Ukrainian Orange Protest.

There will be "pleasantly" worded banner slogans...orderly marching....and carrots for those poor horses to prevent animal cruelty....Oh...and a tree planting session on Mousehold to counter the protesters carbon footprint.

Ahhhhh....the rebelious youth of today. Lemonade anyone?.........     

I want the board replaced Wiz, UNLESS they do a complete turnaround and start concentrating on the football team. I don''t want to go through the Chase protests and all again, thanks. We need something to look forward to and a bit of positivity. Yes, if necessary I am sure I will protest, but I know for myself when that will be and I am hoping it won''t come to it. Surely NO ONE really wants to return to those sad days?

I understand what you are saying, but come on we are all a lot older, not sure I could dodge the horses now lol

Anyone else remember the Greenham Common protests? They lasted 19 years from 1981 to 2000. Now these women were seriously committed protesters. I had nothing but respect for them, in fact I met one when she did a talk at Trades Council back in the 80''s. Even those that didn''t agree with them still had to admire them. After 19 years the Cruise Missiles had been removed and the common land was finally back in the hands of the people with cattle grazing and a memorial to the peace campaigners. But the thing is a lot of these protesters then moved onto other projects because protesting had become a way of life for them.

Now thankfully the protests against Robert Chase only lasted a few months instead of 19 years. They happened I guess because of the disappointment in results and our huge fall from grace in such a short time. Fans were disappointed and angry and Chase was totally unnaproachable and very single minded and dictatorial in the way he ran the club. (Strangely some fans want a return to that again now but as I said so many times, the grass is always greener!) The protests were very angry, spiteful and personal against him which was probably unfair but understandable because of the all singing all dancing one man band way that he ran the club.

We then had a really spiteful, hurtful, and nasty protest campaign against Nigel Worthington. Again it was fuelled through disappointment of poor results, and a fall from grace, although not as far as we fell in the 90''s. The campaign against Worthington was particularly vicious because it was directed at the wrong target. It should never have been personal, If protesters wanted him sacked surely it was obvious he couldn''t sack himself.

Now there is talk of protests again, this time against the board. But what are we protesting about? Surely we are not protesting because Delia Smith is a cook? Or because she once used the phrase ''Little Norwich'' on TV? As far as I can see any protests will be fuelled by poor results, an unnacceptable league position and an even further fall from grace. I have every sympathy with the view that this has been at least partly caused by the board being unable to strike the right balance between investment in the football team and the off field revenue streams.

But it seems some fans have now become serial protesters. I have no problem with peoples rights to protest and freedom of speech to say what they want. The world is a better place because people have been brave enough to stand up for what they believe. But we could learn something from those gallant Greenham Common women. They were very clear about what they were protesting about and they stuck to that agenda. So any protests about the situation we are in now should surely be an attempt change the policies and invest more money into the football team and not a personal and hateful campaign against individuals.