Sign in to follow this  
Cantley

Howlers that make me cringe

No names, no packdrill, but I just have to make a personal stand against two grammatical howlers which seem to be on the increase. The first is when people write "Your right" when they mean "You''re right". The other is when "of" is used instead of "have". For example "he could of scored from that position".

Anyone else got their own examples of written English howlers?

Don`t know about anybody else , but when somebody types out a posting as if they`re sending a text message on their mobile I want to puke ! ........ it makes you wonder if they say "ROFL" when told a joke !!

Ive got a hole list but i wont start on that now actually im aware many people including freinds and coleagues of mine dont put any store by grammar punctuation or spelling and thats there right and i cant criticise even if id right it differently myself each to his own im sure because while one persons casual is another persons inaccurate its also true that one persons clarity is another persons fussiness all good fun on the ball city

you must love me then sheded, i think texting is the best thing to happen to the english language in our lifetime

yes, you can mis-spell, make your own thing up and do exactly what you want (and i am uni standard at english, honest guv!)

and my texting teacher is older (yes, incredibly) than me, so age is no barrier!

sheded pmsl yr gr8 m8 gazza :-) LMAO

I think text language is great- When you''re (<- notice!) writing (<- again notice!) a text message. I don''t think it has any place on when your typing a message on the internet! Surely it must take just as long to write! The only reason I use text language is to save characters in a message!

du yew think thart we al orta rite in narfook, that''ll starp ull them there furriners teckin part in this there farum an we can all mardle away without blasted furriners tekkin part! we gart a morbile fone now in ar willage the G.P.O hev mooved it up the enda the rood!

Aaaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh! This thread is giving me the shakes! Being a qualified English teacher I suffer for my vocation in that I cannot read anything without looking for errors, even if I allow myself to read for enjoyment first! Well done all of you, though. Some of this is really good stuff.
On the subject of howlers, I was once invigilating a geography exam and the teenage son of a City legend was sitting there contemplating the the past industrial glories of Wales. Stuck for an answer to the question ''name one of the major products of Wales before the 1970s'' he scratched his head and wrote ''MOBY DICK''. I couldn''t help but laugh! A real classic, just like that of another lad who wrote ''so their enemies couldn''t hide round the corners'' as the answer to the question ''why did the Romans build such straight roads?''!!! (How about an ''exam howlers'' thread? Or perhaps just start adding a few on here. I''d love to read some!)

English howlers, Fool?, well, everything I''ve ever ritten I guess!. It used to worry me, but these days I can''nt be bothered to worry about it!. As long as my spells keep working ok.

not for me DD

one thing i can do well is type, currently at about 65 words a minute, so even broadband isn''t fast enough for me

when are we getting that chat room then peter? lol

texting faster too now, thanks to lessons from the texting master, he is available for hire, you only have to ask :-)

As an English teacher here in Sweden, must say I cringe when some of the mistakes come on, but really dislike all this message abbreviation stuff though (my age probably!). However, quite like the Norfolk touch, nolegs, had a good laugh. By the way susieb, did you know there was a welshman who thought that Moby Dick was a disease?

I agree that txt style posts in a forum are annoying, but such abbreviations as lol or brb and the like pre-date mobile phone text by a good few years.
I''m not certain, but I''d say a lot of those started with online gaming, which has been going on since the early 90s in a fairly big way (well, big amongst geeks like me anyway)

A racing simulation I play is very popular online. Up to 20 people can race each other in real-time despite being spread across 3 or 4 different continents.
Because in the heat of a race you don''t have time to type the whole sentance out, abbreviations are natural.
For example, when you accidentally crash into someone and send them flying off into the virtual sandtrap, "sry" or even "s" will suffice. The reply is likely to be "np" meaning "no problem"

Conversation on irc is more natural if you''re typing close to speaking pace, those forms of abbreviation work well.

About people getting their "your"s and "you''re"s mixed up. I''m lucky enough that I found punctuation and (to a lesser degree) spelling fairly easy to pick up at school.
I can''t remember how or why, wasn''t through paying much attention, thats for certain. ;)
Equally I have friends who I was at school with who struggled with the same aspects and still do.

Doesn''t mean they''re thick or lazy, just means that grammar isn''t their forte. One of these friends in particular was excellent at Physics, I was pretty crap at it. :)

If you can understand what the poster is trying to say, I''d say its pretty mean to gripe about it. (even if it does make you cringe!) :)

Herb

One of the reasons for my post was to point out in a light hearted manner, to those who want or need to know, the correct words to use in certain situations. Who knows, it might save them from much greater embarrassment at some other time.
And I won''t mind if you correct my typos, spelling mistakes, and physics howlers in future.....

What about smiley faces Fool On The Hill?

I know someone who detests them and threatens violence whenever she sees one:(