Sign in to follow this  
alex_ncfc

Sad News - Graham Paddon dies

My thoughts are with  his family.   He was not only a great footballer but a lovely person as well. I was fortunate to know him from when he lived in Sprowston, and he always had time for fans, even kids like me!Todays players should look at some film of his appearances for Norwich, his passion, skill and commitment to our club was beyond reproach." There''s only one Graham Paddon" lets sing it again on Saturday.

I''ve been trying to think of the number of penalties he took and whether he ever missed one. If he did I can''t recall it. Mind you, I think goalies used to not try too hard as they knew if they got their hand to it they''d be picking their fingers up from the the back of the net. What a left foot, what a throw-in, what a talented and committed player, what a lovely bloke and what a tragedy he''s gone so young. I had forgotten it was Banksie he beat from way outside the penalty area with a screamer I don''t think the great man even saw fizz past him. In over 45 years of watching the Canaries he''d be the first name in my midfield if I ever picked my best NCFC eleven.

By my reckoning, the first of the "Boys of 72" to go:

Keelan, Payne, Black, Stringer, Forbes, Briggs, Livermore, Bone, Cross, Paddon, Foggo.       What a team.

He has a very special place in West Ham hearts. He helped turn around our fortunes when he arrived and starred in one of the best midfields we''ve had. Scored a beauty of a goal in our cup winners cup semi final in Frankfurt that is one of the alltime bests in Hammers'' history. He was a lovely player to watch, a nice mix of power and grace.

Thanks for the memories, Graham.

Rest in peace.

A really sad day....I first met Graham when we were both 21 and in later years his son, Guy, worked for me for a while. He was highly gifted, energetic, player of the type who would make a major difference right now. He will be sorely missed.

God bless you graham wot a star you were in the yellow & green.Will be sadley missed my thoughts are with the Padden family tonite

I was too young to have ever seen him play for Norwich the first time around, but can remember seeing him when he re-joined just prior to his retirement 1980/1 ish. However the really significant thing for me is that my father chose to give me the my first name of Graham after Graham Paddon who was his favorite player back in the early-mid seventies. This is of course a link that I will share with this player for the whole of my life.

RIP Graham Paddon

A special player in a splendid Team, the Team sheet above says it all. And what a shot he had on him! Very sad indeed.    

Shocked and saddened to hear this tragic news.

Graham was a boyhood hero of mine and a key player in the team that achieved promotion to the old first division for the first time in our history.

Gutted when he left in ''73 to join West Ham, pleased for him when he won an FA Cup winners medal with The Hammers and delighted when he returned to City in ''76.

I can still remember seeing his first goal for us against Preston in ''69 and a thunderbolt against Blackpool in ''72 in a 5-1 win.

My condolences to his family.

R.I.P. Graham and thanks for the memories.

I remember watching Graham Paddon from the river end terraces as a child he was my favourite player in that team of the earily 1970''s probably for that ferocious left foot shot of his, I can also remember being slightly upset when he left City to sign for West Ham, however, and I have to confess at being a temporary W. Ham fan when he played in the cup winners cup final in ''76, I think.

One of the very few players worthy of being called a ''Norwich City Legend'' but he earned it!! a very sad day and my condolences to his family.

Thanks for the memories, RIP.

Can''t put it any better than that, a city legend and childhood hero i remember being so upset when he broke his leg at sunderland just a couple of weeks after rejoining us. Thoughts are with Grahams family. Hope his name rings around the ground on saturday.

Too soon. Too soon.

Style, class and effectiveness. Golden memories.

A splendid player. An adopted son of Norfolk.

Our condolences to his family.

OTBC

[quote user="Phil Henry"]

thunderbolt against Blackpool in ''72 in a 5-1 win.

[/quote]

That goal is on the Centenary DVD. Should be on You Tube.

Great memories of a smashing footballer ,especially during the promotion season & our momentous debut in the First Division.One of the sweetest left pegs that''s ever graced the Green & Yellow .......... but Graham,now you''re at the great football pitch in the sky ,get someone to teach you how to tackle [:D][:D] .

RIP  to a true Canary Legend [:(]

Like many of you, one of my childhood heroes, such a talented player (we could do with some like him now). Many great memories of Graham and his great left foot and watching standing soaking wet on the River End terraces in the 70s. Far too young to go.

RIP and thoughts to the Paddon family. We will give you a great send off on Saturday.

OTBC

So sad.

My lasting memory was going to Orient''s ground in April 1972. On that night Graham Paddon scored the winner via the penalty spot to get us promotion to the top division for the first time ever. What a night! After the game in a local pub taken over by City fans someone came in with the penalty spot from which Paddon converted the winner. The fact that it looked like elephant grass didn''t put us off and I got a bit. We then stopped off in Epping, dropped into another pub and bumped into Keith Skipper who was then reporting for the EDP. He got a photo of me and my mate Geoff Vincent holding up this piece of the Brisbane Road pitch. A picture that appeared in the special issue commemorating our promotion that year.

So thanks Graham for the wonderful memories.

So sad.

Tony Moore

Watched him plenty of times at CR in my youth.

Mostly from the River End with my Family.

My Mum fancied the pants off him!!!!!

Awesome player with a cracking left peg.

Will be greatly missed.

My Prayers are with his Family.

Thank You Graham!

When I was a tiny kid I was brought up as a joint Forest and Norwich fan - now Forest through and through for my sins!  Graham Paddon was always my favourite player for the club - great on the pitch and a gentleman to boot.  When I was in hospital my dad sorted out a get well card from Graham and it was ne of my most treasured posessions for a good few years!

A very sad loss and really young as well.  I hope that you all give him the appreciation he deserves on Saturday and hope that you get a win for his sake! 

RIP Graham and best of luck to you all.

Very sad news indeed. A great player and I am sure Graham will be given a great send off by the Carrow Road faithful.

My thoughts and condolences to his family.