Sign in to follow this  
yellowchris

CURRENT YOUTH POLICY WHAT A BIG JOKE AT NORWICH CITY....

On the Radio this morning it was mentioned that Ipswich Town have 8 players away on Under 21 duty now and next week.   This speaks volumes of their youth policy and the way the lads are brought through to the first team.

Sadly it sets them up for the future with good quality players who are performing on the international stage, they will either be flogged for £mmmssss or play for Ipswich.

What the hell are we doing with our Youth players, and whats  more what are the highly paid hangers onto our club doing by not scouting and bringing in quality, nowadays we seem to attract very average to poor youth players, other than Chrissie Martin we have nothing of any quality coming through.

Hope that Glen Roeder gives this area a good clear out of the dead wood management

NO QUALITY YOUTH NO FUTURE.

Rant over

agreed, i was recently on a training course for my full FA badge at colney which was needed as I''m a local club coach. Playing in a strikers role on one of the few short matches we played which included many NCFC academy players i found myself up against a matured academy defender down my left flank, needless to tell you although i usually had only played LW for clubs prior...it still turned into a strikers dream when many times the defender was turned..beaten...and basically outmanouvered leading to a nice goal tally by myself. The other youth academy fared no better. I''m afraid looking at that recent match...theres is very little to get excited about.

I don''t know. We are forever talking about giving the young players a go - people have had digs at Worthington and Grant for not doing so but if they are not good enough they won''t get in the team. Shackell is the only player to have come through the ranks and earn a regular starting place. I don''t think he''s particularly good either. So the last player to make a big impact and stay in th eteam in Robert Green.

Are we not scouting the best youth players, is Norfolk too isolated, is the training not good enough or is the Academy system in the whole of football a complete failure. I don''t know the answers. Ryan Jarvis was supposed to be the big hope but he''s turned out to be average. Then we''ve had the likes of Henderson, Spillane, Eagle and Rossi Jarvis in the team and none have made a big impact. I had high hopes for Chris Martin but I don''t know what has happened with him.  

i was wondering what the situation is with our hertfordshire academy? is that allowed to extend the 90 mile rule or not, because one of the reasons put forward for our underperformance is the lack of catchment area.

Can anyone clear this up?  cheers

You fail to mention for what country they are on U21 duty for. At present I can see no Town Players in the England side tonight at stadium MK. I would assume that they are playing in other national sides where the number of players available are limited. Most of the present young players at our club if they were not English would be made very welcome by the other Home Nations football associations.

Could you name these 8 U21 players as it would be interesting to see their nationalities. I also think you have jumped onto a topic that you seem to know little about,which is becoming a very boring habit on this message board

Be fair, the Jarvis brothers look like they are going to turn into great players, unfortunately by the time they do they will also be eligible for the Sky Masters tournament!

[quote user="Confused Des"]

i was wondering what the situation is with our hertfordshire academy? is that allowed to extend the 90 mile rule or not, because one of the reasons put forward for our underperformance is the lack of catchment area.

Can anyone clear this up?  cheers

[/quote]

The 90 minute rule is an absolute disgrace, it is meant to stop the man united of this world from poaching young players.  In actual fact they poach them anyway (by hook or by crook - just look at Chelsea and Scott Sinclair) and it means teams like us and Plymouth with a poor catchment area may as well not bother.

I have often wondered why we persevre with the Academy ( and its cost) surely we would be better looking at players that are being released by other clubs remember the likes of Crook, Culverhouse and Bowen all released from Tottenham and played well for us. At present I can only see Spillane and Lewis making it out of the present crop both of the Jarvis brothers not up to it. It took four years and a change of manager to realise Henderson wasn''t good enough most supporters could have told us that some time ago

[quote user="yellowchris"]

On the Radio this morning it was mentioned that Ipswich Town have 8 players away on Under 21 duty now and next week.   This speaks volumes of their youth policy and the way the lads are brought through to the first team.

Sadly it sets them up for the future with good quality players who are performing on the international stage, they will either be flogged for £mmmssss or play for Ipswich.

What the hell are we doing with our Youth players, and whats  more what are the highly paid hangers onto our club doing by not scouting and bringing in quality, nowadays we seem to attract very average to poor youth players, other than Chrissie Martin we have nothing of any quality coming through.

Hope that Glen Roeder gives this area a good clear out of the dead wood management

NO QUALITY YOUTH NO FUTURE.

Rant over

[/quote]

Yet when I said City were up against a "bunch of kids" in the derby all the flock began bleating.....

They''ve only done what we were doing years ago before we lost our direction. Say what you like about Robert Chase...but he knew that kids were the way forward...while Smith and Co. have simply sought to buy cheap and sell dear at the first opportunity......

Europe to League One in just over a decade.....Well done Delia. Go pummel your dumplings.....

Totally agree. David Williams jumped a sinking ship and what ive seen there is no one up there training the kids who has a clue who is gonna make it and who is not. 

Bin the lot of them, and bring Carson, or Williams back.

What they have in place at the moment is a joke. Most of them withered old men, who need to sit on one of those fold up chairs while they watch a game.

Youth policy is recked as the Academy are led by an old fossil who needs one of those fold up chairs to sit down and watch a game.

Bin the lot and get Williams back there 

If you are that good who are you.

The academy boys are told to let people like you think they are good-do you really think they are bothered about some wannbee coach thinking he is the dogs nuts. Next time ask him to play properly and he will snap you like a twig.

Who are the Town 8

Walters, Garvin, Clarke, Bruce, Supple for Republic of Ireland, Full squad and U 21

Tommy Smith , England U18

trying to find who the missing 2 are.

it has been a long time since we plucked out a bellamy for instance...obviously we cannot have the high wycombe academy due to the 90mile rule.but, that doesnt mean we cannot invest in scouting, or even create partnerships with foreign teams, examples being Man U and Royal Antwerp...Reading for instance, a bit of money yes, but they don''t spend big, they use a lil bit of money to invest in scouting and pluck players like doyle and hunt out of nowhere on the cheap,and how much is Doyle worth now??we have to do this too be successful.in our academy, we have just 4 players even remotely worth a look:joe lewis....BORN IN BUNGAY (great catchment)Chris Martin....Beccles boy,Michael spillane, born in cambridge...andrew cave-brown, gravesend...and bally smart came to us from S.A. we didnt scout him there.we need to invest now, to help the future, otherwise, we are going nowhere.luckily, we have an intelligent manager who not only identifies good young players but is excellent at developing them...taylor&defoe being 2 examples.

I was thinking about this the other day actually, I couldn''t see a single norwich player in any U21 teams. I think it is a hoorible testement to how far we have fallen really. In all honesty the ''academy'' has failed us and the club. I don''t understand the point of it. In the older days players who were 17/18 etc. would just start mixing into the first team, I would list names, pointless though as there are so many. It''s a ccrying shame and I think that is what upsets fans more than anything else, not delia, not the board etc. the fact that the one thing Norwich were always great at, bringing young and exciting players not only from youth but at other clubs, is now no long applicible and I feel it has lost us part of our identity. We miss Carson, Williams even boothroyd (even though it was a bit late, but he was a good youth coach) but more than that we miss our old system that rewarded us so greatly.

Are people talking about thee high wycombe acadamy we sold to watford in 1996 (when we needed money to recover from St. Robert of Chase), about the time we should have been getting players that would now be 21, or have we started a new one since then?

[quote user="Fellas"]I was thinking about this the other day actually, I couldn''t see a single norwich player in any U21 teams[/quote]

Spillane                   Eire U21

Lewis                      In the England U21 squad until he got injured recently

Smart                      Trained with the South African U23 squad last summer

Rudd                      England U16

Steer                      England U16

Cave Brown           Scotland U20 (wasn''t he captain for their squad in the U20s World Cup?)

Matthews               Called up for an Eire U18 squad this month

Kelly                      Called up for an Eire U18 squad this month

O''Toole                  I think he has played for the Eire U17 team

Rossi Jarvis            England U19

Stephens                Wales U17

Daley                     England U16?

Renton                   Scotland U17

Martin                    England U19

Diggins                   Wales U16

Something I posted about before: I was speaking to someone who runs a youth team in the Waveney area, and due to Citys lack of success in bringing young players through, most are going to Town as they see a future. We won''t feel the effects of this for another decade, but it is happening.

I am of the same opinion about the Acadamy, it has failed totaly. If players are not ggod enough then get them out and save money. Which is why I wanted someone to come in who can look at the whole playing side and fixing what is broken.

When Alex Ferguson regorganised Man Utd when he arrived, and withing a decade they reaped the rewards. If our problems are not fixed we will be feeling this for two decades. Not a pleasant thought, as bringing young players through is the most cost effective way of team building.

I agree with most of what''s been said but don''t forget the ''needs must'' for Ipswich at the moment. Youth players can often come through with over-inflated fanfare and then fade away into nothing. Think of Ryan Jarvis, Billy Clarke, Matty Fryatt, Kevin Lisbie or Trevor Benjamin. At the end of the ''90s when we had no money and lots of injuries we had in our ranks: A Marshall (Eng u-21), L Marshall (Eng U-21), Green (went on to become full Eng), Eadie (Eng U-21, trained with full squad), O''Neill (Rep Ire), Coote (N. Ire), Bellamy (Wales), Llwellyen (Wales) Mills (Eng U-21) and Russell, Forbes, Kenton, Allen and Wilson. Probably forgotten one or two as well.

What I''m trying to say is that youth players often come through and thrive if 1) they''re an exceptional talent like Rooney or the ManYoo ''kids'' or 2) the clubs are forced to use them because they can''t afford to bring in other players which ultimately aids in their development. Too lately our board have been shelling out on journeymen. If we REALLY had no money for signings I''m sure Cave-Brown, Spillane, Rossi Jarvis and Lewis would all have come through and people would be waxing lyrical about the POTENTIAL of our youth policy.

On a lighter note, and if people are bored, why doesn''t everyone post their all-time favourite Norwich Youth Team XI? I''ve only supported Norwich ardently for about 11 years so my knowledge will be lss than a lot of others (I noticed it was really tough getting a good LB and CMs)

Green; Drury (technically!), Shackell, Kenton, Mills; Eadie, L Marshall, Russell, Forbes; Bellamy, Sutton

The academy boys are told to let people like you think they are good-do you really think they are bothered about some wannbee coach thinking he is the dogs nuts. Next time ask him to play properly and he will snap you like a twig.

Perhaps this is what is happening with our first team they don''t realise they are playing for real! Sorry don''t buy into this competive players are competitive whatever they do never play to come second whether its first team, reerve team or even a pub team.

As Canary nut pointed out, the following have international honours:Spillane (Capt)                  Eire U21

Lewis                      In the England U21 squad until he got injured recentlySmart                      Trained with the South African U23 squad last summer and playing for SA under 20s in December in                                     Germany.Rudd                      England U16Steer                      England U16Cave Brown           Scotland U20 (wasn''t he captain for their squad in the U20s World Cup?)Matthews               Called up for an Eire U18 squad this monthKelly                      Called up for an Eire U18 squad this monthToole                  I think he has played for the Eire U17 teamRossi Jarvis            England U19Stephens                Wales U17Renton                   Scotland U17Martin                    England U19Diggins                   Wales U16

That seems to me extremely good representation for a Championship club. The important thing is overseeing the transition from Academy player to first team player, and that, it seems to me, is where Norwich have fallen down. You probably need a coach who was a precocious player himself and knows the difficulties of being a youngster trying to establish themselves in the first team. I can''t see anyone who other than Clark that may be able to do that.