Sign in to follow this  
King Juan of Spain

Lakey/Pinkun up to their old tricks again

They seemed to have curtailed this for a while, but exactly where in the report by Chris Lakey: ''Roeder: City flops should be ashamed'', does Roeder actually say they should be ashamed? Nowhere.Are they trying to turn him into Peter Grant? If I was a player reading that, I''d get that Grant feeling all over again, wouldn''t you?Just what we DON''T need right now.Sort it out Lakey-print some headlines that bear a vague resemblance to the content of the story!

[quote user="King Juan of Spain"]They seemed to have curtailed this for a while, but exactly where in the report by Chris Lakey: ''Roeder: City flops should be ashamed'', does Roeder actually say they should be ashamed? Nowhere.
Are they trying to turn him into Peter Grant?
If I was a player reading that, I''d get that Grant feeling all over again, wouldn''t you?
Just what we DON''T need right now.
Sort it out Lakey-print some headlines that bear a vague resemblance to the content of the story!
[/quote]

Maybe Archant mods could speak to Chris and get some feedback?

King Juan

A good point and one I have highlighted on here before as this just smacks of cheap sensationalism by the local press. I thought we could have a quick quiz with a spot the quote game. I have detailed the direct quotes from the article by Mr Lakey attributed to Mr Roeder and maybe we could attract guesses as to where the quote from the headline is within the passage

Quote 1 - "I don''t even like walking around the town," he said. "I have been in a few times and you are looking around, you don''t really want to be seen.

Quote 2 - "That is how I feel about football. It is a winning game. The players have to feel like that if they are walking around the town. I would not be proud at the moment. I would be hurting so terribly I would not want to go out."

Quote 3 - "If you are the other way it means you don''t care enough. It means you do not care enough, if you are happy leading a normal social life where we are in the table.

Quote 4 - "Footballers are a different breed, I know we are. I can be critical of footballers, but that is how it has got to be. It''s not quite life and death - I know that myself after my own problems with the brain tumour. But you have to win - and our supporters must be absolutely bleeding at the moment, haemorrhaging - and we have to stop it."

Quote 5 - "They have been sent home sad too much this year," said Roeder. "There has been too much crying around the place. It is about time we sent them home a bit later than they normally would do because they want to celebrate a win.

Quote6 - "That is the sort of thing that made me happy at Newcastle, the feeling of warmth of sending 52,000 supporters racing into the town - they do that on a Saturday night anyway, but a bit quicker and for a bit longer. Make people happy.

Quote 7 - "It must be horrible, absolutely horrible being a Norwich City supporter at the moment."

If you can be arsed choose the quote that you think best represents the headline and you win a job at Archant as a sports reporter

(For legal clarification and correct moderation there is actually no prize and the ''winner'' does not actually get to be a reporter of any sort at Archant. Although it may be worth punting the re written story with a more appropriate headline to the paper as you never know they might sign you on the books)

Perhaps someone could kindly point out to Glenn Roeder that Norwich is a City not a Town.

A Fine City all the signs used to say.

[quote user="djc"]

Perhaps someone could kindly point out to Glenn Roeder that Norwich is a City not a Town.

[/quote]

"around the town " is an expression that is colloquially used for virtually any size community, from a village to a city.

There used to be a radio programme called "In Town Tonight" about goings on in London.

Not yet another Little Norwicher, please ....

[quote user="King Juan of Spain"]They seemed to have curtailed this for a while, but exactly where in the report by Chris Lakey: ''Roeder: City flops should be ashamed'', does Roeder actually say they should be ashamed? Nowhere.
If I was a player reading that, I''d get that Grant feeling all over again, wouldn''t you?
Sort it out Lakey-print some headlines that bear a vague resemblance to the content of the story!
[/quote]

For goodness sake, keep your knickers on.

To start with, reporters don''t write headlines. Someone with even a basic knowledge of newspapers knows that.

But on a more substantial note, your point would be more valid if it was right. but what Roeder said in the interview was this: "That is how I feel about football. It is a winning game. The players have to feel like that if they are walking around the town. I would not be proud at the moment. I would be hurting so terribly I would not want to go out."

That, to all intents and purposes, is not far away from saying the players "should be ashamed". The headline gives an accurate reflection of the gist of the story - something a headline is supposed to do.

I''m with you in your battle against sloppy journalism, and there''s plenty of it around, but this isn''t one of those occaions, I''m afraid.

[/quote]

To start with, reporters don''t write headlines. Someone with even a basic knowledge of newspapers knows that.

But on a more substantial note, your point would be more valid if it was right. but what Roeder said in the interview was this: "That is how I feel about football. It is a winning game. The players have to feel like that if they are walking around the town. I would not be proud at the moment. I would be hurting so terribly I would not want to go out."

That, to all intents and purposes, is not far away from saying the players "should be ashamed". The headline gives an accurate reflection of the gist of the story - something a headline is supposed to do.

I''m with you in your battle against sloppy journalism, and there''s plenty of it around, but this isn''t one of those occasions, I''m afraid.

Well, shouldn''t they be ashamed? Aren''t they flops?

Of course they should feel ashamed. Of course they are flops,

What''s all the fuss about? I mean, should they feel proud?

Not too much wrong with the headline in my view. Nor with what Glenn had to say.

OTBC

[quote user="Snakepit Boy"]

[quote user="King Juan of Spain"]They seemed to have curtailed this for a while, but exactly where in the report by Chris Lakey: ''Roeder: City flops should be ashamed'', does Roeder actually say they should be ashamed? Nowhere.Are they trying to turn him into Peter Grant? If I was a player reading that, I''d get that Grant feeling all over again, wouldn''t you?Just what we DON''T need right now.Sort it out Lakey-print some headlines that bear a vague resemblance to the content of the story![/quote]

I''m with you in your battle against sloppy journalism, and there''s plenty of it around, but this isn''t one of those occaions, I''m afraid.

[/quote]Anyone with a basic knowledge of journalism will know that someone with Chris Lakey''s standing has every right to object to what the sub has written, and many will suggest a headline anyway - even if the sub ignores them. And that the sports editor has a penchant for inflamatory headlines anyway.As for the ''not far away'' from what the report is saying, well, if a newspaper said you were ''a murderer'' (note the use of apostrophe) in the headline and then said something different in the piece, you''d be somewhat annoyed.Regardless of this, the POINT is that we just got rid of a manager who used the press to mouth off about his players and the last thing players need right now (especially those who take headlines to heart- i.e. most) is Roeder being made to look like Peter Grant. Saying it''s difficult to walk round town when you''re playing badly is not the same as saying they should be ashamed of themsleves. Who, other than the smart-alecs on this board, didn''t think Roeder was having a Grant-style go at the players when they read the headline?And of course the players should be ashamed, but this isn''t the post to make that point.

Brilliant. Good to see the moderators have at last let through some valid criticism about Lakey et al. It would be good to see some good balanced reporting instead of the favouring of players who appear to be the reporters "favourites" e.g Lakey/Huckerby. As for the star ratings after a match-good for a laugh Chris but often way from reality.

Why have the EDP stopped rating the other team-those who cannot get to the match appreciate this as it gives a better perspective of the game?

Be good to get a response from Chris-who knows it may sell more newspapers!

[quote user="The Sweeney"]

Why have the EDP stopped rating the other team-those who cannot get to the match appreciate this as it gives a better perspective of the game?

[/quote]The EDP are still rating the other team - although this is just now ratings out 10 next to the team line-ups graphic. Any major moves by the opposition can be be covered in the match report and/or Key Moments panel.

[quote user="King Juan of Spain"][quote user="Snakepit Boy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Regardless of this, the POINT is that we just got rid of a manager who used the press to mouth off about his players and the last thing players need right now (especially those who take headlines to heart- i.e. most) is Roeder being made to look like Peter Grant. Saying it''s difficult to walk round town when you''re playing badly is not the same as saying they should be ashamed of themsleves. Who, other than the smart-alecs on this board, didn''t think Roeder was having a Grant-style go at the players when they read the headline?

[/quote]

There''s every difference in the world between saying his players should be ashamed of themselves, and singling out individual players for criticism. Roeder did the former, Grant did the latter. Surely you can get your head round the difference?

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="djc"]

[/quote]

"around the town " is an expression that is colloquially used for virtually any size community, from a village to a city.

There used to be a radio programme called "In Town Tonight" about goings on in London.

Not yet another Little Norwicher, please ....

[/quote]

And Chicago was "My kind of Town" for Sinatra. If a city of over 9 million inhabitants can be called a town, then Norwich with its 200,000 (tops) population can certainly be described thus.