Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Graham Paddon....What was he like?

I have always heard alot of good things about Graham Paddon. Im afraid though, im too young to have ever seen him play.

Can the people who used to watch him, enlighten us "young ''un''s!" as to what he was really like and who in recent years is he similar too!

cheers

Buccaneering left sided midfielder, known as Budgie, due to his resemblance to Adam Faith, long blond hair, and beard, noted for 30-40 yard left foot screamers into the top corner. Once scored a hat trick at Highnbury in the league cup, he played in the final that year. Left, depsite John bond trying to stop the deal, but re-emerged only to break his leg at Sunderland in his 3rd game back. An old fasshioned inside forward. He has no equal in the current side, they arent fit to speak his name by and large.

A forceful, stylish and driving left midfield player with a great shot. Cannot think of a modern day player but he was worth 10 goals a year plus. I was at Highbury when he scored a hatrick against Arsenal in the League Cup. Also a very nice bloke as I had the opportunity to meet him a few times sociallly. Budgie will be sadly missed.

Really, along with Super Mac the first ''stars'' we had at Carrow Road; trademark bear and long hair; I remember one time he shaved and I wandered who the new player was. Shocking news, and thoughts to his family.

[quote user="charlies dad"]Buccaneering left sided midfielder, known as Budgie, due to his resemblance to Adam Faith, long blond hair, and beard, noted for 30-40 yard left foot screamers into the top corner. Once scored a hat trick at Highnbury in the league cup, he played in the final that year. Left, depsite John bond trying to stop the deal, but re-emerged only to break his leg at Sunderland in his 3rd game back. An old fasshioned inside forward. He has no equal in the current side, they arent fit to speak his name by and large.[/quote]

Absolutely spot on Charlies dad, budgie had a thunderous shot which had to be seen to be believed. I''m still shocked by this news though.

Im pretty sure he must feature in the 100 best City goals dvd, he scored some absolute beauties. One free kick against Manchester City from just inside the Man City half. Heavy ball of course, it dipped, swerved, twisted over all the players heads before beating Joe Corrigan all ends up. Fantastic.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="charlies dad"]Buccaneering left sided midfielder, known as Budgie, due to his resemblance to Adam Faith, long blond hair, and beard, noted for 30-40 yard left foot screamers into the top corner. Once scored a hat trick at Highnbury in the league cup, he played in the final that year. Left, depsite John bond trying to stop the deal, but re-emerged only to break his leg at Sunderland in his 3rd game back. An old fasshioned inside forward. He has no equal in the current side, they arent fit to speak his name by and large.[/quote]

Absolutely spot on Charlies dad, budgie had a thunderous shot which had to be seen to be believed. I''m still shocked by this news though.

[/quote]

So then guys, did he have a similar shot on him to what Jerry Goss had?

[quote user="Laurie Sheffield"]A forceful, stylish and driving left midfield player with a great shot. Cannot think of a modern day player but he was worth 10 goals a year plus. I was at Highbury when he scored a hatrick against Arsenal in the League Cup. Also a very nice bloke as I had the opportunity to meet him a few times sociallly. Budgie will be sadly missed.[/quote]There''s no need to go OTT. He was a great player and will be sorely missed but he wasn''t ''worth 10 goals a year plus''

[quote user="Conquering Lion of Judah"]

Maybe not for west ham, but isn''t that the point?  Isn''t this thread for Norwich fans giving a Norwich perspective on the death of a former Norwich player in response to a question asked by a Norwich fan?

[/quote]His goal ratio for West Ham was better than it was for Norwich, so no that isn''t the point.WHU or Norwich is surely irrelevant. We are all mourning the loss of a superb player and a superb human being.

I think Jerry Goss was a terrific volleyer of a dropping ball whereas Paddon could strike powerfully through a ball on the turf although I think Gossy must be the closest Norwich player to Paddon in terms of his ability to score from distance. I was standing in the Barclay directly behind the goal he scored against Man City and it will stay with me forever as it was hit with such force that, although the ball was quite close to Corrigan, sheer power took it into the roof of the net from about 35 yards out. I do remember a couple of cracking goals he scored against Stoke in the same season - both from outside the area and one of those I think was a volley. He certainly sparkled in the promotion season and our first season in Div1 but never quite seemed to recover from the broken leg he suffered on his return to us. He will indeed be sorely missed.

[quote user="Conquering Lion of Judah"]

Maybe not for west ham, but isn''t that the point?  Isn''t this thread for Norwich fans giving a Norwich perspective on the death of a former Norwich player in response to a question asked by a Norwich fan?

[/quote]

But surely the line ''Can people who used to watch him play enlighten us'' applies to Hammers fans as well?

Top beard, a strong rugged player - took no prisoners if I remember rightly.   A boyhood hero when I started watching City - and my Dad never moaned about him, which means that he can''t have been a bad player going on the recipients of Dad''s complaints...!

He''s on the Centenary DVD scoring two against Blackpool in 1972.  First was a penalty (no, I don''t recall him missing one either), and the second a one-two with Kenny Foggo, and then crashed it into the net from 25 yards. Happy memories.

I would put the clip onto You Tube but I haven''t got a clue how to do it.

Malcolm Robertson''s appreciation of him on www.myfootballwriter.com suggests he was a flair player that was the missing piece in the jigsaw in Saunders'' well-organised, committed side.

From what I''ve read, he sounds like the Huckerby of the 70s, coming in to add the x-factor to a team of honest pros (for Flem and Malky, read Stringer and Forbes)?

Is that a fair assessment? I never saw him play.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

Malcolm Robertson''s appreciation of him on www.myfootballwriter.com suggests he was a flair player that was the missing piece in the jigsaw in Saunders'' well-organised, committed side.

From what I''ve read, he sounds like the Huckerby of the 70s, coming in to add the x-factor to a team of honest pros (for Flem and Malky, read Stringer and Forbes)?

Is that a fair assessment? I never saw him play.

[/quote]Sort of. He wasn''t a dribbler like Huckerby, but we was much stronger and tougher. Wouldn''t get knocked off the ball easily, or go to ground like Huckerby, and he was much better in the air. Better defensively too.

never seen him play but he sounds like Paul Scholes... good player all round and one the team relies on for success... a belter of a shot (Like Scholes), strong like scholes.... and couldnt tackle.. like Scholes!

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

never seen him play but he sounds like Paul Scholes... good player all round and one the team relies on for success... a belter of a shot (Like Scholes), strong like scholes.... and couldnt tackle.. like Scholes!

jas :)

[/quote]

I''d been meaning to post along the same lines jas . . . imagine Paul Scholes with a touch of flamboyance.

Paddon was the class player in Saunders hard running side. Sprayed the ball about well (a bit like Crook) but a much more solid player.

Would always be in my team of all time greats.

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote] Better, Bigmark! Better.

[quote user="charlies dad"][quote user="Bigmarkcanary"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote] Better, Bigmark! Better.[/quote]

Better? Blimey. Praise indeed - I just wish I was old enough to remember watching him play [:(]