Sign in to follow this  
Arizona Bay

Call off the protests as a mark of respect.

Originally, I had half a mind to join Smudger''s protest, but after a period of reflection I realise this makes me overqualified.

I don''t care of you protest or not, all 3 or 4 of you. Most of us will be clapping away fervently in the stand, with the odd misty eye (especially me) and remembering a true giant and gentleman of a player. The Coventry fans will be doing the same, rewarding GP with the respect he earned at Carrow Road.He is one of the reasons why my ties with the club are so strong: he loved being a professional footballer and playing for Norwich City.

This is why the attention-seeking drivel we''re constantly bombarded with is so unappreciated. It misses the point. Most City fans do not expect success; we do expect commitment, and for the team to endeavour to entertain us. But when the club is underperforming, for whatever reason (and I accept that the Board''s leadership has been poor), we encourage more and more rather than fight amongst ourselves.

Well, most of do, but then most of us who live near the ground go to the games.

RIP Graham Paddon. We remember you and always will. 

I like many others were shocked and sadden by Graham Paddons death and he deserve''s and will be given a splendid send off by Carrow Road faithful this Saturday and no less is deserved. Alas I will not be there, but my thoughts will be there at three o''clock.

As for the point of the protest, well I can see both points of views on whether it should go ahead. Personally I am not in favour of a protest right now, and that has nothing to do with the sad events that have occurred over the last 24 hours.

Still I think both can happen without them being contradictory as long as the minutes applause is observed, which I am sure it would be since I think 99% posters on here are fans.

Still if I was orangising such a protest, then I think I would postpone it, since any protest will be overshadowed by events that have happened and I would not want to upset fellow supporters when the same point can be made in two weeks time. Just my humble opinion. 

Whether you want to protest or not, it is totally ridiculous to play the Graham Paddon card as a reason to not protest.  By the same vein would you ask the club not to serve beer or hot dogs as a mark of respect?

Or maybe Cureton should not be allowed to wear the number 10 shirt?

Paddon was undoubtedly one of the greatest players ever to wear a City shirt, and I expect the applause tribute to be one of the warmest ever seen.  However why can protesters not come in and join in after marking the failures of this board with a dignified walk down from the Murderers?

Indeed should those fans in favour of keeping such protests away from the players not be grateful that Smudger has chosen a meeting place away from the ground so as to get media attention whilst allowing Glenn Roeder to prepare the players for the game away from it.

This bulletin board seems to revel in emotive posts from people with views of all kinds, why not get back to dignified rational argument as it used to be.  Come on posters of all points of view lets act maturely and not shout down posts merely because they are different to yours.  That is the sign of a democratic and postive society.

What is the point in us worrying about the present/future of NCFC is we are unable to celebrate the past?

I am far too young to have ever seen Graham Paddon play for us but having read this message board and seeing how highly my fellow city fans thought of the bloke, i will be joining in the applause for a city legend.

Nobody is asking you to cancel protests just postpone for one week ands show a bit of respect FFS!

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

Totally wrong.

It is going to be a minute of applause, which is both appreciative and respectful in view of what he done for the club. Surely you can''t be that ignorant?

I cannot believe that you mention being respectful after you said that you don''t see why the protest should go ahead! Talk about contradicting yourself.

I say again: those that are considering joining Smudger in his protest on Saturday are an absolute disgrace and a total embarrassment to the club.

A great player has just passed away, so get a bloody grip of yourselves and get some perspective [8o|]

[/quote]

OK sweetheart, calm down for a minute, untangle your knickers and I''ll try and explain.

It is possible to pay your respects to Graham Paddon and protest, the two are not mutually exclusive. Provided the protesters join in with the minutes silence/applause then they will be paying their respects, what they do before or after this is largely irrelevant. Will you be seeking to modify everybodys behaviour before they enter the ground? Should they turn down their usual pre-match pint as a mark of respect? Should they shout down anybody who attempts to tell a joke?

The only embarrassment here is the sheer speed in which you and few others attempted to use the death of a City legend to your advantage. Now I happen to find that a damn sight more disrespectful than any protest could ever be

Oh, and I stand by my comments about a minutes applause. Ask yourself why they were brought in. Is it because it''s a better way to celebrate somebody''s life or is it because every minutes silence at a football ground I''ve ever been to gets ruined by some idiot shouting? And you have the cheek to call me ignorant [^o)].

Please show some respect. If you protest then you are fools and should be thrown out of the club.

I hope you have all changed your minds about this protest.

[quote user="Hartsons Gut"]

If you protest then you are fools and should be thrown out of the club.

[/quote]

So first they were a disgrace and and embarrassment, now they should be thrown out of the club [N].

Do we have to check whether Smudger weighs the same as a duck before we burn him at the stake?

Even Robert Chase didnt ban protestors. If the Smith junta followed this course of action imagine the national coverage? As ive stated before, i loathe the board and all their works, however, i feel that the wheels are now turning inexorably towards a change, there is too much strength of feeling and most people have their eyes open now. The protest has become a focus point for all types of nastiness, and i feel that everybody needs to take a big step back. .

According to Smudger the request to postpone is "Another vain attempt by those with no balls to put a halt to matters... and frnakly I find it disgusting that those of you out there would hind behind a City heros death to further your own agendas".

Can I just say Smudger that I find it disgusting that (at the time of writing this) a) you have yet to find the time to mark this "City heros (sic)" passing by taking the time to post on the Paddon tribute thread and b) you are still so up your own butt that you cannot see that you might actaully be wrong.

Call yourself a supporter - you just lost any shred of credibility you had in my eyes.  You are simply an egotistic numpty (I would put what I really feel but dont want to waste the moderators time). [:@]

[quote]So first they were a disgrace and an embarrassment, now they should be thrown out of the club [/quote]As we all know by now Smudger is a Marxist, so this will not matter to him.  The Marx I''m referring to of course being Groucho Marx who said - I would not join any club that would have me as a member.  [quote]Do we have to check whether Smudger weighs the same as a duck before we burn him at the stake?[/quote]If you believe some of the rubbish flying around about what''s going to happen to poor Smudger, he''ll be floured, egged, insulted by pedants for poor grammar, and then shot well before any witch-trials or burning.  I''m actually starting to fear for the poor lad myself now.  Of course, it''s all a bit of message board nonsense, I''m sure his protest will pass off quietly.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

Totally wrong.

It is going to be a minute of applause, which is both appreciative and respectful in view of what he done for the club. Surely you can''t be that ignorant?

I cannot believe that you mention being respectful after you said that you don''t see why the protest should go ahead! Talk about contradicting yourself.

I say again: those that are considering joining Smudger in his protest on Saturday are an absolute disgrace and a total embarrassment to the club.

A great player has just passed away, so get a bloody grip of yourselves and get some perspective [8o|]

[/quote]

OK sweetheart, calm down for a minute, untangle your knickers and I''ll try and explain.

It is possible to pay your respects to Graham Paddon and protest, the two are not mutually exclusive. Provided the protesters join in with the minutes silence/applause then they will be paying their respects, what they do before or after this is largely irrelevant. Will you be seeking to modify everybodys behaviour before they enter the ground? Should they turn down their usual pre-match pint as a mark of respect? Should they shout down anybody who attempts to tell a joke?

The only embarrassment here is the sheer speed in which you and few others attempted to use the death of a City legend to your advantage. Now I happen to find that a damn sight more disrespectful than any protest could ever be

Oh, and I stand by my comments about a minutes applause. Ask yourself why they were brought in. Is it because it''s a better way to celebrate somebody''s life or is it because every minutes silence at a football ground I''ve ever been to gets ruined by some idiot shouting? And you have the cheek to call me ignorant [^o)].

[/quote]

Well, I never knew you cared darling [}] [W]

So how do you think Mr Paddon''s family and friends, who I understand will all be attending on Saturday, are going to feel if they hear any protests around the Carrow Road area?

And if you think that myself and others are attempting to ''use the death of a City legend to your advantage'' then you are even more wrong than you were originally. Through my own choice, I have never supported any protest although others of course have the right to support/attend as they see fit. As has been pointed out on another thread, we have three new loan players (possibly a fourth as well) who are willing to get first-team football at a bottom of the league club, therefore proving that they are willing to help and try to get us out of this mess that we are so obviously in. How do you reckon they''re gonna feel if they catch wind of big mouthed protesters? Do you think they''d be happy about being undermined when trying to do a job? Do you think Roeder would be happy about that?

The memory of Mr Paddon, along with his family and friends, needs to be shown our respect and Roeder and the players need our 110% support on Saturday and for the rest of the season without any distractions.

Oh, and I''m glad you stand by your comments about the minute''s applause - because if you read my original post again, you will see that I''m all for it as well.

And you have the cheek to call me disrespectful [^o)]

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

So how do you think Mr Paddon''s family

and friends, who I understand will all be attending on Saturday, are

going to feel if they hear any protests around the Carrow Road area?

[/quote]

Just a point, how do you think Mr Paddon''s f&f are going to

feel if they hear protests? You clearly assume they''ll be outraged.

Perhaps they may support them.

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

So how do you think Mr Paddon''s family and friends, who I understand will all be attending on Saturday, are going to feel if they hear any protests around the Carrow Road area?

[/quote]

Just a point, how do you think Mr Paddon''s f&f are going to feel if they hear protests? You clearly assume they''ll be outraged. Perhaps they may support them.
[/quote]

Possibly they might. Would you like me to seek them out and ask them on Saturday?

Seriously, I think they''d probably be thinking (if they do hear them) "Why the hell couldn''t they have at the very least postponed them until another day?!"

It''s about respect and a sense of perspective, that''s all.

There are far more tragic things happening in the world today than things going t**s up at a football club.

i cant believe how split you fans really are there seems to be two sides for one side

i mean its not just the board in dismay its the fans n all at the moment

i know not every fan will agree on the same point, you never will get everyone agreeing

but 70% want protest stopped 30% want it on

so many want youth to come through, so many want experience

so many all they do is moan saying blah blah we relegated, so many actually trying to encourage the team

if you all pulled together on the right decisions you will give the team, club, board the boost they need

i think only thing you lot would all agree on is what n idiot i am, but hell im probably the only one talking realistically, sensible on here half the time

blahblahblah wrote

So first they were a disgrace and an embarrassment, now they should be thrown out of the club

As we all know by now Smudger is a Marxist, so this will not matter to him.  The Marx I''m referring to of course being Groucho Marx who said - I would not join any club that would have me as a member. 

Do we have to check whether Smudger weighs the same as a duck before we burn him at the stake?

If you believe some of the rubbish flying around about what''s going to happen to poor Smudger, he''ll be floured, egged, insulted by pedants for poor grammar, and then shot well before any witch-trials or burning.  I''m actually starting to fear for the poor lad myself now.  Of course, it''s all a bit of message board nonsense, I''m sure his protest will pass off quietly.

LMAO

[quote user="we8wba"]

i cant believe how split you fans really are there seems to be two sides for one side

i mean its not just the board in dismay its the fans n all at the moment

i know not every fan will agree on the same point, you never will get everyone agreeing

but 70% want protest stopped 30% want it on

so many want youth to come through, so many want experience

so many all they do is moan saying blah blah we relegated, so many actually trying to encourage the team

if you all pulled together on the right decisions you will give the team, club, board the boost they need

i think only thing you lot would all agree on is what n idiot i am, but hell im probably the only one talking realistically, sensible on here half the time

[/quote]If somebody had Effed up Wolves to the extent that we have been destroyed, your support would be pretty angry too. The previous chairman was vilified, with good reason, and the levels of violence when he was at his nadir, were huge. Believe me, it would have frightened wolves. I personally disagree with the protest, I prefer to think it will all iron itself out, as the board position is now untenable. Support? 25,000 average gates to watch the sort of crap we have for 3 seasons? You may find this hard to understand, but we happen to think our club is better than most/all of the dross we encounter and lose to on a weekly basis, and our support is there for all to see. its not for you to be satisfied with 24th place for Norwich City.   

[quote]

Whether you want to protest or not, it is totally ridiculous to play the Graham Paddon card as a reason to not protest.  By the same vein would you ask the club not to serve beer or hot dogs as a mark of respect?

Or maybe Cureton should not be allowed to wear the number 10 shirt?

Paddon was undoubtedly one of the greatest players ever to wear a City shirt, and I expect the applause tribute to be one of the warmest ever seen.  However why can protesters not come in and join in after marking the failures of this board with a dignified walk down from the Murderers?

Indeed should those fans in favour of keeping such protests away from the players not be grateful that Smudger has chosen a meeting place away from the ground so as to get media attention whilst allowing Glenn Roeder to prepare the players for the game away from it.

This bulletin board seems to revel in emotive posts from people with views of all kinds, why not get back to dignified rational argument as it used to be.  Come on posters of all points of view lets act maturely and not shout down posts merely because they are different to yours.  That is the sign of a democratic and postive society.

[/quote]

Oh for goodness sake its nothing to do with a demorcratic society, its about taking a basic management decision based on decency and for the good of his protest

Smudger is supposed to be organising a protest. He needs to galvanise any support there may be to his cause and maximise its impact. Anyone with half a brain should be able to see that holding a protest on the day that a real legend is being remembered is absolutely the wrong time to hold a demonstartion. Half the prospective attendees won''t join in because (quite rightly in my view) they think it would be disrespectful and the media will ignore it because of the other much more relevent events happening at the same time.

Postpone the thing until the next game and he will gain the respect of the waiverers, have a greater turnout as a result, get more media attention and thereby make more impact.

If he keeps it going this week not only will he be seen as disrepectful by many but it will prove that he dosen''t have the decision making capacity to run a whelk stall. 

Good sense Jack Flash. But I would take issue with regarding these message Board ''protesters''. People who respond to messages on here with responses like ''Baaaaaaaaaa'' and with references to London ''Nancies'', are not capable of setting an agenda. I am afraid their contribution begin''s and ends on this message Board, cowering behind their half baked idea''s and non humour.