Sign in to follow this  
perucanary

Perez and Nilsson

Missed the games yesterday, how did Nilsson play? Heard he played right back for Sweden, which would be useful in terms on versatility and cover for city next season, if he is being looked at as a right sided midfielder.

Did perez play? Infact has anyone ever seen him play?

Perez did not play, the return of Gronkjaer from compassionate leave meant his chances of coming on, as in the first match, were reduced. Nilsson played at right back, if Lucic had been fit, Sweden would probably have played him at right back and Nilsson right midfield, but they played Wilhelmsson, who is much more attack minded, right midfield. This meant that Nilsson did not have the right cover all the time and was left exposed on a couple of occasions leading to his man getting away on the right. However he stuck to his task against a rather rejuvenated Italian team, and I made the point of watching him closely, and he didnĀ“t do too badly and very rarely gave the ball away. I have stated before on this board, he is a good player who can pass, cross and shoot, is fast, works hard, and, most important of all, has a great attitude and is likely to please Worthy. Sign him! As a footnote, I said before he is out of contract - I am now a little unsure of this, perhaps his contract runs out in December.

On the recommendation of yours Steve a few weeks ago, I''ve tried to see as much of Nilsson as poss and in the Italian match, I too paid him close attention to ascertain how good he is... I was preety impressed that despite playing on a somewhat disjointed rightside of Swedens team with Wilhelmsson, Nilsson seemed to have a fairly decent game... He seemed a good athlete, with composure on the ball and of pretty high fitness as he seemed to cope well with the heat and hunidity as well as the pace of the game... Importantly, he like most of the Swedish team didn''t seem overawed by the Italians, which bodes well if he comes to the Premiership...
I''ve a sneeking suspicion that we might just get him ahead of Southampton, dunno what it is that is making me think this, but I''ve a really strong feeling he''ll be in the squad come the opening day of the season... I would definately not be too unhappy about that either, he looks a reliably solid midfielder-cum-defender...