Sign in to follow this  
1st Wizard

A little bit of perspective please... Last night was a good performance!

Right lets go back to Grants final three games in charge and Duffy''s solitary three games in charge; Sheffield Weds (H), Scunthorpe (H), QPR (A), Bristol City (H), Burnley (A), West Brom (A) and compare the performances then with those of Ipswich and last night. I think you will notice there has been a huge improvement in the past two games from the previous 6 and even the ones before that. Our passion, commitment, football and individual performances have vastly improved during Roeder''s reign already.

Lets start by looking at the players; Russell has begin to look like the player that was made captain of Stoke, a side that just missed out on the play-offs last season, Brellier is looking like the holding midfielder we have lacked so much since Gary Holt left the club, Chadwick  and Croft are finally producing their best form and look creative, Cureton put away a ''Premiership quality'' goal against the Scum, in Taylor we have a commanding and quality Centre Back who Shackell should hopefully learn from and Huckerby looked revigorated before getting sent off against the Scum.

All this comes from the style of football Roder has introduced, he likes the players to get the ball down and pass it as well as playing a high tempo and attacking type of football. He seems to be the sort of manager who will put his arm round players and coax the talent out of them that players like Cureton, Russell, Huckerby, Croft and Chadwick so obviously needed.

This instills confidence in a team, something evident from last night and Ipswich. Not once in those two games did the players fold like they had done under Grant and Duffy, instead they rolled up their sleeves and came out in the second half fighting and looked like they wanted to and more importantly believed they could get back into the game.For those of you who watched the game last night could tell, we had so many free-kicks and corners in the second half as well as playing football in their half rather than hoofball.

Now to last nights game, yes the result was a poor one, but look behind the disappointment of another three points dropped at home and you will see a decent performance from the bottom of the table team against the top of the table team. And that is the important fact, how many other teams have taken 3 points of Watford this season, and the answer is not many, especially those fighting for survival as well. We played well last night and for periods controlled the game against a Watford side full of talent. If we had scored a second from one of our any corners and free-kicks and they hadnt scored a third or even got that lucky goal off Marshall everyone would have been praising an excellent result and let me tell you that excellent result was not too far away. The difference was that they had three chances and took them whereas we did not have the chances, thus leading me on to my next point.

It is obvious that we do not have the necessary talent to compete in the top half of this division. However, we do have the talent to compete in this lower half and pull ourselves away from danger and believe you me with a couple of decent loan signings, namely a creative midfielder and a pacy, powerful striker like Ameobi we could certainly create more chances and put them away and really compete in this division. The defensive foundations are there, providing Taylor stays, as well as the poaching threat of Cureton we just need that added spark to get our season going.

It is with great confidence that I say Glenn Roeder will find this spark with his connections in the game and get us playing football and take us away from the relegation zone especially after Sunday''s and last night''s performances.

Keep supporting this team and the Manager becuase the signs look good I promise.

On The Ball City!

Our central midfield stuttered shrunk then vanished during the game,  failing to win anything like a good proportion of the loose ball, let alone having the power or strength to win the ball back from our opponents.   We were uncompetetive and left chasing shadows;  nothing about last nights central midfield performance was acceptable - and certainly not a good performance.

As others have stated brellier and Rusty are too similar;  Rusty is like hughes last season,  currently putting in huge amounts of effort but for not output;  he may as well not bother.  Players have to have an impact;  Rusty has not had that recently,  and brellier was not as good as he was on Sunday - but in both games he was more effective than Rusty so should be given the nod to play alongside a loanee or smith,  who revialised QPR last season when played as an attacking central midfielder;  he wouldnt be at chelsea if he didnt have huge potential.

Last night was not about the result but the performance and the players attitude - and both stunk

A great read and post which I agree with totally - there are plenty teams now that I feel we can take points off in the post Grant era.  Watford would have hammered us by 5 or 6 if the game had been played last week. I now have total confidence in three points against Plymouth. OTBC

a little bit of perspective please.... we still have the same bunch of crap footballers that grant had so what makes people all of a sudden think we can become world beaters!! face up to it, the players appear to have resigned themselves to going down.  last night was not a good performance, watford hardly broke sweat, so imagine if they had what damage they could have done to us!!!

I agree totally with the first post completely!

Watford are by the best side I''ve seen this year which is why their 8pts clear. If they''d of played us 2-3 weeks ago we''d of lost about 4-0. they continue playing like they did last night then noone is going to stop them!

The same as against a very strong Ipswich side Sunday we looked much improved from the Grant/Duffy era. Sunday was down to poor finishing and last night I''m sure we could of  beaten some of the poorer teams in this league.

I''ve always maintained all through that we''ve the players to do much better than our current position and with some tweaking here and there,  Roeders having more time to exert his influence, a couple of additions to the squad, get Hartson fitter then we can be alright!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Last night was not about the result but the performance and the players attitude - and both stunk

[/quote]

I''m normally in full agreement with your posts, Zipper, but I feel you''re being unduly pessimistic here. We certainly weren''t as good as on Sunday, but I thought the second half performance was pretty encouraging. Especially considering we were playing 48hrs after giving absolutely everything in the derby game. I''d like to see Brellier and Russell competing for one place alongside a more creative player, rather than being our central midfield pairing, but overall I thought there were a number of positives from the game. We won''t be the only team this season to be comfortably outplayed by Watford: it''s the results in the games between now and Christmas that really count.

I thought Watford totally dominated the 1st half and maybe should have scored another couple of goals. Yes, City were better in the second half, but it was still clear that Watford were going home with maximum points as we failed to really impose ourselves at any period in the match. I never really expected an equalising goal, let alone a winner. As others have said, we looked at least one division, if not two, inferior to them.

Anybody thinking we will sail up to mid table mediocrity should go read Mick Dennis on Waghorns site , it doesnt make good reading and he feels this squad would struggle big time in League 1 .

[quote user="scott"]

Watford are by the best side I''ve seen this year... if they continue playing like they did last night then noone is going to stop them! [/quote]

Not WBA then? Who beat them 3-0 last week?

[quote user="scott"]

The same as against a very strong Ipswich side[/quote]

Yeah, practically like Barca, arent they? 

[quote user="scott"]last night I''m sure we could of  beaten some of the poorer teams in this league. [/quote]

hmm, yes, poorer teams. Poorer than BOTTOM of the division, yes.

[quote user="scott"]get Hartson fitter then we can be alright! [/quote]

He''s gone.