Sign in to follow this  
dan holloway

Funny how we leak so many goals without...

Funny how we leak so many goals without the Doc in our team... I know most of the fans think he is a donkey but since he''s been injured we have let in more goals than ever and thats with apparently the best goal keeper outside the premiership in between the sticks???

funnily enough Dan u make a fair point.. Doherty has been our best player this season....  people dont like him because he is slow im convinced.

agree with what u said about Marshall too.. time to give Matthew Gilks a chance

jas :)

Doherty is NOT AS SLOW as the current saviour of Norwich City, 2 games and "only" 5 goals conceded, Martin Taylor. And is nowhere near as slow as the old saviour of Norwich City

Funny how some people are so influenced by preconception. If Spurs fans hadn''t laughed, would we be laughing at him?

[quote user="dan holloway"]Funny how we leak so many goals without the Doc in our team... I know most of the fans think he is a donkey but since he''s been injured we have let in more goals than ever and thats with apparently the best goal keeper outside the premiership in between the sticks???[/quote]I was thinking the same thing. Results should speak louder than posters!

ive always thought doc has what it takes and have always supported him. had his name on my shirt when he join and have stuck with him. the only problem is he needs someone who can boss the defence about and wip him into shape. someone like in the promotion years with malky and flemming. malky was never the fastest player, infact i he was like the oak tree (best way to describe him) and got hes head, foot etc on the ball whilst flemming cleared up what went passed. i just cant see shak and doc playing together. both great players but need that other person to control the back line and shout out. anyone agree with me? the problem with doc is hes a confidence man and i dont think grant did much to help him. i remember at one point grant kept putting him down. how can a player be brimming with confidence on the pitch if your manager doesnt think so. its one thing from the supporters but from the gaffer its another. as he did with the whole team in the end

hopefully roeder will get the best out of him and the team. make us proud to wear the shirt even more

COME ON CITY!!

Shows how bad we are that we''re missing Doherty. At the end of the day - none of the defenders we''ve got on the books, Doherty included, are good enough. Hence: bottom of the league.

Not funny and not true.  Our loan guy is a far more competent defender.

[quote user="dan holloway"]Funny how we leak so many goals without the Doc in our team... I know most of the fans think he is a donkey but since he''s been injured we have let in more goals than ever and thats with apparently the best goal keeper outside the premiership in between the sticks???[/quote]

The Doc is actually one of the few players in our squad who is more than capable of playing at Championship standard. Yes, he''s not perfect, but when backs are against the wall he is actually a decent defender, good in the air, strong, brave, and reasonable positioning. Admitadly he lacks pace, but if you can get in the right positions, or defend deepish, you don''t need pace to be a successful centre back. John Terry and Rio Ferdinand are no sprinters. Once Doherty is back, and hopefully paired up with Taylor, we''ll have a decent partnership at the back.

[quote user="MK Canary"]Shows how bad we are that we''re missing Doherty. At the end of the day - none of the defenders we''ve got on the books, Doherty included, are good enough. Hence: bottom of the league.[/quote]Sad, but true.Although it has to be said that the midfield give the defence very little protection.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]DOC FOR CAPTAIN   [;)][/quote]Yeah, as heading the ball straight up in the air should inspire the rest of the lads.

[quote user="Canary Poirot"]The Doc is actually one of the few players in our squad who is more than capable of playing at Championship standard. Yes, he''s not perfect, but when backs are against the wall he is actually a decent defender, good in the air, strong, brave, and reasonable positioning. Admitadly he lacks pace, but if you can get in the right positions, or defend deepish, you don''t need pace to be a successful centre back. John Terry and Rio Ferdinand are no sprinters. Once Doherty is back, and hopefully paired up with Taylor, we''ll have a decent partnership at the back.[/quote]

Not that it''s really important but I''m pretty sure you''ll find that Rio can cover the ground pretty quickly, you''d have to have a fair bit of pace to run him. But you''re right about John Terry, he can''t shift.

[quote user="Til I Die"]So out of Martin, Doc and Shackell which 2 would you guys pick??[/quote]

Tiny Taylor and the Doc.

Gary Doherty is a much better defender than Shackell and I really can''t believe people excuse Shackell with "he''s alright with someone strong/good/better next to him". Shackell is approaching his mid 20''s, he''s played about 100 games for Norwich...something is wrong if he has to rely on another defender to make him look half decent.

Taylor might have shipped 5 goals in 2 games,but keep some perspective,he has also scored as many goals as Chris Brown,Dion Dublin and Dave Strivalka. If that doesn''t put our current predicament into perspective i don''t know what will.

The board need to make the 2.5 mil we got for earnshaw at the disposale of Roeder immediately.

There was a time when putting a goal away against the scum on your debute would be enough to make you a canary legend,these days it gets you an unfavorable comparison to Gary Doherty.

Sign of the times i guess.

Remember the pairing of Forbes and Stringer. Big Dunc was a rock in defence. Fearsome, hard to get around, solid and slow. Whereas Dave was the classier of the two, able to make a good, effective pass out of defence.

Two Forbes or two Stringers would not have been so impressive but as a partnership they probaly rate as the best pair of CBs ever.

We need the same setup - one blocker and one passer of the ball.

We are in no position to sell, no position to buy, cant seem to loan , and in bottom position of the league pffffffffffffffffff, we have to go with what weve got.......great prospect that!!........... All we can do is give our full support to everyone involved with the club 110%

OTBC

[quote user="waveneyblockc"]

Doesnt matter if the rest of your game is like Rio Ferdinand, if you CANT DEFEND YOUR BOX WITHOUT HOLDING AND PULLING PLAYERS then you are NOT A VERY GOOD DEFENDER.

[/quote]

So John Terry''s not a very good defender then?

The problem here is that people watch Gary Doherty closely for ninety minutes and pick up on his every mistake. There seems to be such an irrational dislike of the bloke on here that sometimes I think it would be best if he moved on. Yet when we get a new defender on loan people ignore the mistakes he made for the two goals conceded against Ipswich and concentrate on his performance as a whole. Ah, but he was excellent against Watford we''re told. A game that we conceded three goals in and the opposition never broke out of second gear.

We''re conceding more goals per game since Gary Doherty got injured, that much is fact. Yet still the Docists think he''s our worst player, it''s really quite odd.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="waveneyblockc"]

Doesnt matter if the rest of your game is like Rio Ferdinand, if you CANT DEFEND YOUR BOX WITHOUT HOLDING AND PULLING PLAYERS then you are NOT A VERY GOOD DEFENDER.

[/quote]

So John Terry''s not a very good defender then?

The problem here is that people watch Gary Doherty closely for ninety minutes and pick up on his every mistake. There seems to be such an irrational dislike of the bloke on here that sometimes I think it would be best if he moved on. Yet when we get a new defender on loan people ignore the mistakes he made for the two goals conceded against Ipswich and concentrate on his performance as a whole. Ah, but he was excellent against Watford we''re told. A game that we conceded three goals in and the opposition never broke out of second gear.

We''re conceding more goals per game since Gary Doherty got injured, that much is fact. Yet still the Docists think he''s our worst player, it''s really quite odd.

[/quote]Its nice every now and then to read a post that is well thought out and makes perfect sense.I for one think that doherty is scape goated far to much .I wouldn''t hesitate to put him straight back in along shacks or taylor.Its about time people realized that unless we score goals we ain''t going to win games.We would still be bottom of the league if we had campbell and terry at the back.

[quote user="waveneyblockc"]

Some of you lot are smoking the funny stuff.

[/quote]

HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! What rubbish. Ever watched Jamie Carragher, John Terry, Malky Mackay, Terry Butcher, Sami Hypiam, dare I say Fabio Cannavarro????