Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Norwich not a Fine City anymore!

According to the EDP Norwich is being branded as "Englands other city", the "Fine City" is no longer good enough.

I presume this rebranding has resulted in not some small part to the success of the Canaries whih has seemingly revitalised the City and County.

Norwich is a fine City and Norwich City are a Fine Team, a splendid description, one of which I am proud of as I drive into the City. Tradition obvoiusly counts for little with the mrketing men with no soul, except a R soul.

who''s idea is this, afraid i haven''t read the edp, don''t buy it in the summer!

i will always think of norwich as a fine city as i grew up with seeing all those signs saying so on all the approaches into the greatest city in the world

if it ain''t good enough for some people, fine, for those in the know

it will always be a ''fine city'' !

Story:
[link]http://new.edp24.co.uk/content/News/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=News&tBrand=edponline&tCategory=news&itemid=NOED17%20Jun%202004%2023%3A33%3A29%3A213[/link]

(no mention of NCFC)

Talk:
[link]http://new.edp24.co.uk/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=37754[/link]

EDP24 vote:
Nine out of ten prefer Fine City.

It''s shocking. I''d like to know when the residents of Norwich were asked their opinion on this matterbefore they randomly decided it was best to change it?

Makes me want to smack the back of their hands and shout ''leave it alone!!!''

I hate the suggested change! What''s all this ''England''s other City'' nonsense? It suggests that there is only one other city in England anyway (blatantly untrue) and that we, as the other one of two, are somehow inferior to the ''other'' other one (presumably Londiniog). Total and utter ****! I can feel some alterations to any new signs put in place coming on!

Spot on Susie, it implies inferiority to some other city.

What if Norwich FC were East Anglias other football team. I don''t think I''d be the only unhappy person about that.

The idiot who decided this was a good idea should be put in stocks in the city centre and have rotten fruit thrown at him/her.

Preposterous I tell you.

So a brand expert is telling us we need to change.

A brand expert who came up with Metro, Maestro and Montego. What do those brand names bring to mind? Crap. Says it all for me.

I wonder exactly how much money has been wasted on this fruitless exercise.

It was only recently that the brand guru''s decided The Royal Mail wasn''t good enough anymore - and gave us Consignia!! Lot''s of focus groups and brandspeak telling us how the change was going to "take the product forward and project the right personality". PS please sign our invoice.
A year later, we''re back to .....The Royal Mail again.

Thankyou guys - YOU are the weakest link, goodbye.

We, the citizens of Norwich, are a much larger "focus group" - and we know this is sheer nonsense. I just hope my council tax isn''t paying for any of this.

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys

I think it would have been better to pay someone who is an expert or better still just leave it alone.

A fine city is/was a good slogan what does "England''s other city" mean?

Up the fine city!

That''s good Peter. I''d hate to think anyone got paid for this blithering nonsense.

It''s all tripe, as my grandmother would say.

Peter, Celia, Vince. Do you think there is a case for combining the City gossip page , the International & national football'' section and the ''Its just not football'' page into one for next season. There seems a ''no holds barred'' approach which is to be applauded about what we talk about in this section including road signs, toblerone, sexual fetishes, England etc etc. I particularly noticed this today because under the ''Its not just football'' section there is oddly enough a post by NMTD on the 24th March about the ''A Fine City'' slogan Wouldnt it be more sensible to lump the lot together so we dont split posts and miss some views. Most of the Euro 2004 stuff is coming in on this section anyway. Keep the ''Local leagues'' and the ''Tickets/travel/away guide'' separate by all means as they provide specific functions. What do you think?

We split it to try and speed things up, and also to make it easier for people to get to what they were interested in - but yes, people do ignore it and post what they like where they like!

What does anyone else think?

Celia

Whoever agreed to make this change is really rather pathetic - probably some bored part-time councillor risen above their station wishing to make their permanent mark on the City.

Whoever made this decision should be accountable for it and should be named.

Then, a lynch mob should take charge of this "person" and hang them from the castle battlements like they used to do in medieval times. That would teach ''em!

Don''t mess with the image of Norwich its FINE as it is.

Although apparently this is a non football related subject, this matter would not be being mooted had the success of the football team raised the profile of the City and County, whih is on the back of my investment as a supporter and shareholder and is is justifiable for all other like minded City supporters to be able to comment on matters which are directly related to their financial efforts.

Marketing people!!
The clueless scrote that dreamed this up has probably never visited our fine City.
If not, and they are from Norwich then they should be ashamed of themselves.

Someone should get some good quality digital photos of the signs, so in the event that the buffoons at City Hall replace them, direct action can be taken! :)

Talk about a storm in a tea cup. If you read the report in the EDP it says:

"England''s other city" will be used on promotion and marketing material, but the "fine city" signs will remain on the main roads into Norwich.

I thought the road signs was the only place the slogan was still used anyhow.

Kathy, Celia - I have three glorious words for you: The Undead Thread!

Post on this thread anything non-NCFC related, it''s wonderful... especially some of Fatman''s comments.

And PS the whole ''Fine City'' thing, well it''s a disgrace, nothing less. Keep the Fine City Fine!

Well pin me down and tickle me with a feather.

Thanks to Kathy for spotting my post from way back - I distinctly remember making that post to this forum only for the mods to move it to the obscure outback of the site.

I am glad that apparently 9 out of 10 people share my view.

Bumbling idiots. "England''s other City" - what absolute hogwash. Makes us sound second class.

Forever England, Forever a Fine City

Now just crawl back under the stone from where you came and leave us alone. If you want to help take your slogans to some godforesaken place like Middlesborough.

Yeah, but that undead thread is getting impossible to follow!

"England''s other city" sounds like something taken straight out of Alan Partridge. Also reinforces the view held by those living inside the M25 that the people of Norwich still point at planes in the sky...

Next we''ll be putting "You''ll never leave" at the bottom of the signs.

Aren''t you still suppoesed to be on your hols, Pete? See, you still love us and can''t keep away! Oh the pulling power of our FINE city!!!

Some holiday - spent most of it with book, shades, sun block and beer in hand watching the rain fall in my back garden! Trust me to book the wrong week off! Now back at work so BEV column shall be updated in the next hour or so.

ayrton, you read my mind

metro, maestro, montego - those were the days!! it is impossible to get such a bad car now isn''t it, but i guess some of the fun element and the challenge of owning such a vehicle is lost to us!! i never had any of them more''s the pity lol

as for our council tax, what does that pay for anyway?

kathy,

where is the sexual fetish section, i must have missed it, give me the link now gal!!

in reply to your thoughts on seperate posting sections, i still think they should all be in the same one, it then gives a better continuity and is funnier - after all when we all meet our mates in person we don''t say "now i am going to talk about football we better move into the other bar" do we?

it it too difficult to sometimes catergorise things, and must be a nightmare for the moderators!

Keep it simple