Sign in to follow this  
Andy Down Under

Danny Mills - Teeside Insult

Anybody else see this article (in icTeeside) about Danny Mills not coming to Norwich?
Here''s the best bit:-
"The bottom line is that the newly-promoted Canaries could never afford Mills'' reported £2m wage. Nor could they make the kind of sizeable contribution to his salary which would entice Leeds into agreeing a deal.
In any case, Mills is battling to try to regain his international place and would hardly benefit from playing for Norwich next season, even if they are an excellent club with friendly fans."
I agree with the first paragraph but am insulted by the second. Mills has actually lost his place in the England squad whilst at Middlesbrough, so where does this "Holier than thou" attitude come from? Surely playing in the Premiership is advertisement enough for any player with international selection aspirations? Greeno has managed it, and he hasn''t even played in the Premiership yet!

Apparently Leeds are going to pay 2/3s of Dubbery''s wages if he goes to Wolves. If they paid 2/3s of Mills'' wages we could afford him! It isn''t going to happen though. He''ll be a Boro, Newcastle or Birmingham player by the end of the month

I wouldn''t worry too much about this Andy. It''s just one more example in a very long list of the media under estimating Norwich.

Ten years ago when we were originally Premier League I used to collect newspaper clippings and when looking back the other day through these I was amazed. For example when we trounced Leeds 4-0 at Elland Road (when Leeds were good) there was just a small piece with no picture, it mostly concentrated on Leeds poor performance, didn''t even mention Goss''s wonder goal that day. And pretty soon after that when we annihilated Everton 5-1 at Goodison there was simply a small strip containing less than a hundered words, only mentioned the fact breifly that Ekoku scored four goals.

The media will always see Norwich as a plucky small club and every now and again will pat us on the head while saying, ''ahhhhh, nice try Norwich. Now step aside for the important sides''.

Southampton are another good example of this, even though they''ve been Premier League for ages how often do you see features on them and big newspaper reports? The answer is; only when they play Arsenal or Man U.

Quite frankly I''m happy with this, the media spot light can be quite bright and off putting.

I don''t feel insulted by the second para. In many ways its true. It is not saying it will harm his chances, or that he won''t be in the reckoning at all. Its actually saying it won''t benefit i.e. improve his chances. Thats probably right in the context of a move to Middlesbro or Norwich. Middlesbro have some wll known internationals in their side, we have some too but not quite in the same way. So I assume this article is comparing Mills'' chances of playing for England when at Norwich rather than at Middlesbro which are probably about the same. Now I think thats not too bad really. Had it said it would harm his chances then I would have felt a bit aggrieved as well as you.

Don´t worry, Boro fans will get their comuppence if they sign that waste of skin Viduka, a really overrated mercenary if I ever saw one.

frankly does anyone care what anyone in teeside thinks of us?

i just feel sorry for them, it must be a total necessity for their paper to have to come up with any feel good stories for the locals to make up for them living in such a dump - i bet they all wished they lived in norfolk

and if a player wants to stay at boro instead of being at norwich, then good luck to him (mills or anyone else), i expect he will sign for w brom eventually anyway, they need some decent defenders lol

You got a recipe for the potion or spell? Might need fermenting over the coming weeks. Also, can I get all the ingredients in Sainsbury''s? Don''t forget to miss out that first "o" wiz or it might not work.............