Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Aaaargh! We have a woman's club ...

I''ll warrant she''s never had to kick lumps out of a trained gorilla from the Conference on a frosty January afternoon ... (apologies to Blackadder).

But is this is the root of the problem?

Delia''s a nice woman. In my opinion a very nice woman. In a very caring, womanly way, she''s trying to make NCFC a cosy, comfortable, family friendly club (a local club for local people?!). Which is nice & I like. Unfortunately, this attitude has rubbed off on the players as well. Which I do not like.

Do you remember when we brought in loanees last year? They''d look great for the first game, mediocre next, then disappear off the radar. Why bother when few others do.

Promotion was also a traumatic experience, as Derby are now finding out. I''ve posted before that there were only a couple of players with Premiership ability AND attitude in that team; OK, most have now left, but the "what''s the point, we''re not good enough" legacy remains.

Roeder''s got a Helluva job on his hands; it looks like it''s rapidly dawning on him. I have hopes, though, that he has the right stuff to do it.

Whatever we can do, if it''s simply supporting the team, we MUST do to give him a chance.

[quote user="ron obvious"]

Delia''s a nice woman. In my opinion a very nice woman. In a very caring, womanly way, she''s trying to make NCFC a cosy, comfortable, family friendly club (a local club for local people?!). Which is nice & I like[/quote]

Why on earth do you like this?!

This sort of situation in a football club can never be healthy, unless we have the ambitions of a club like Crewe!

We need to get her out, get a tough man at the top who will make tough decisions, and become a bit more nasty as a club. I''m sick of the nicey nice image.

[quote user="ron obvious"]

Delia''s a nice woman. In my opinion a very nice woman. In a very caring, womanly way, she''s trying to make NCFC a cosy, comfortable, family friendly club (a local club for local people?!). Which is nice & I like[/quote]

I hate this provincial crap.  It''s like the smug pats on the head from journalists and the media, not helped by Delia''s attitude or Donkaster''s "prudence with ambition" motto.  Oooh, look at Little Norwich!  Aren''t they plucky!  Aren''t they doing well to even have a professional team!  Do you know, they sell Delia''s pies at half time.  And there''s a restaurant?  What''s that?  The football?  Who cares, look.  We might see Delia herself in the box at half-time, isn''t that lovely!  Now what colour do they play in again?In terms of catchment area, season ticket sales, captive market, attendances, we could and SHOULD be better, so much better, than this.

im not bothered if a man or a woman is in charge... there are succesful women in Football,

Karen Brady, the Millwall chief Exec and the colchester chairwoman spring to mind, theres also Vicky Oyston, who i believe is involved (or certainly was involved) in Blackpool.

None of these women are celebrities, they are business women who cut thier teeth in the business world before embarking on football business... they know what its like to secure a deal, agree a loan, etc and all are able to undercut competitors and act in the companies best interests...

if we could attract a business woman with those sort of credentials id be more than happy...

whatever happens though we need someone with a business background in the role of cheif Exec.. not a solicitor, he couldnt undercut anyone, i doubt he can haggle for the best deal or talk prices of playing assets up to essentially start a bidding war between clubs... a businessman/woman could have other clubs eating out of their hand.. doncaster will just "Budget for it" and hope!

jas :)

[quote user="The Bucketman"]

Colchester, Millwall and Blackpool!

Well we have to aim high...

[/quote]

2 of those clubs could well finish above us this season... the same 2 could well be in a division higher than us next season too if our form doesnt improve...

so yes... perhaps we should be taking a leaf out of their books...

jas :)

[quote user="fuzzyfelt"]Oooh, look at Little Norwich!  Aren''t they plucky!  Aren''t they doing well to even have a professional team![/quote]

No journalist, however lazy, is going to make the mistake of suggesting we have a professional team this season!

[quote user="fuzzyfelt"][quote user="ron obvious"]

I hate this provincial crap.  It''s like the smug pats on the head from journalists and the media, not helped by Delia''s attitude or Donkaster''s "prudence with ambition" motto. 

Oooh, look at Little Norwich!  Aren''t they plucky!  Aren''t they doing well to even have a professional team!  Do you know, they sell Delia''s pies at half time.  And there''s a restaurant?  What''s that?  The football?  Who cares, look.  We might see Delia herself in the box at half-time, isn''t that lovely!  Now what colour do they play in again?

In terms of catchment area, season ticket sales, captive market, attendances, we could and SHOULD be better, so much better, than this.
[/quote]

You conveniently omitted the rest of my post. You seem to be so enraged by the possibility of supporters actually wanting a club that sees a cosy, comfortable, family friendly club as virtues (as opposed to smashing up seats, urinating in the street & knifing opposition supporters, perhaps? Would this be macho enough for you?). That you failed to note my point that perhaps THIS IS PART OF THE PROBLEM.

At the height of the craze for violence at matches, the police cited an effect they called "Capitalism";  fans at provincial clubs were trying to outdo the "big" London clubs in terms of how much mayhem they could cause.

Perhaps it might show less of a provincial attitude to ignore perceived slights from outsiders & just get on with supporting your team.

nothing wrong with a woman in charge, karen brady at birmingham, jalk walkers wife at blackburn was heavily involved with th club during there prem champs season, the problem is having the wrong woman in charge,

[quote user="The Bucketman"]

Colchester, Millwall and Blackpool!

Well we have to aim high...

[/quote]

Marie Partner is our CEO not the owner but I suspect she is the longest serving female CEO in the Football League.

Probably, like Delia, she is a "nice lady" but I think her a very astute professional (and a fanatical football fan) and I believe she has played a part in enabling our club to get where we are at the moment, which is not much further up the table than you are if you look.

In the season in which we were promoted to the dizzy heights of the Championship she said on Essex Radio: "The officers and board can only do so much.  In the end you can only take advice from your Manager.  You have to trust his judgment as to the players he wants.  If not we would all be Managers and that we are not.  If you do not trust his judgment why would he be the Manager?

"And further than that you are reliant on the Manager and the players he chooses and plays in a game to perform on the field when it matters.  So, for me and I think for the board, we are facilitators and not much more than that.  Personally, I vote for a Manager who instills passion into our team.  I do not mind if we lose if we lose with passion.  It''s not nice to lose but if you lose with passion that means it is just football - you know, hit the post and comes out, hits the post and goes in." 

To spoil all that it was said about Phil Parkinson not long before he decided to bugger off to pastures new and before Mr Cureton pledged on Essex Radio: "I''m not going anywhere" and then also buggered off shortly after signing countless Col U shirts which at Layer Road can probably be had for five for a £1

My club is littler than your club.  A lot littler.  We could also go down this year but if we go down fighting I won''t find that hard to swallow.  Disappointed, of course.

And while I would not want you to "aim high" in respect of us (you are far advanced in every respect in terms of finance and infrastructure than us) I would think that, like me, you would prefer them to go down battling for every ball if going down is what it is? 

In which case I think it becomes s**t happens.  Hopefully Mr Roeder can get you battling and get you out of your current predicament.

And, by the way, s**t does happen, I believe.  Especially in football.

Camuldonum, the problem is that Delia takes the ''limelight'' as it were, off the football club onto her. In the media''s eyes we are Delia''s Norwich City. We are lucky to have her [+o(]