Sign in to follow this  
Feathers

Let's do a Barcelona...

This is a bit of a radical idea but, us fans, why don''t we all club together and buy our club? Barcelona and Real Madrid are owned by their fans. Boards of directors, managers and coaches can be decided by democratic vote. Nobody knows how to run a club better than the fans themselves. There''s no point waiting for a rich knight in shining armour to come to the rescue, and recent history has shown how big business is crippling football. There are what, at least 300,000 Norwich fans? How much money can we raise?

It might seem idealistic and pie in the sky, but with organisations like the NCISA we could get the ball rolling. It would have to be as democratic as possible though, with fans not having the uppance over others because of having a higher share. It could be structured like a syndicate trade union, every fan having a say.

Thoughts?

P.S Yes I''m new, but I''ve been reading these boards for a while and after today feel compelled to suggest something drastic. Hello all.

that is the worst idea ive ever heard ...

with such a massive difference of opinion in each and every fan ... thats just asking for trouble.

how do u seriously expect each and every 1 of us to agree. not gonna happen im afraid.

there may well be 300000 Norwich fans.but there is probably only 10,000 that would actually get involved, and even if you managed to get 30,000 how much would each one have to pay?

we could raise enough if every fan put £30 we could raise nigh on near 9mill, enough to purchase delias shares,and if 300,000 fans put £100 in each we could clear the debt, and put a 10mill transfer budget in placesounds ok, but can every fan put £130 in, and then theres the season ticket holders, what bout these

How much would it cost?

say we could buy norwich for 12 million+debts

we get 20000 people to put in £600 each.Then a board is put in place and the club is run within the constraints of money generated from gate receipts+sponsorship etc.After a period in div1 to stabilise the club and pay off debts we start again trying for the premiership.

wishful thinking or is it possible

[quote user="ipswichrscum"]

with such a massive difference of opinion in each and every fan ... thats just asking for trouble.

how do u seriously expect each and every 1 of us to agree. not gonna happen im afraid.

[/quote]

So what so you suggest smart arse?

[/quote]i don''t know - most fans can see what''s what on the pitch.  often, manager make baffling decisions - how many times did we say worthy seemed to be watching a different game to the rest of us.  i think the ideal solution is to give the crowd a control pad (similar to millionaire) and when they feel strongly about a player (good or bad) to press and vote for them.  mind you, in the wrong hands, a wireless model could be set up to delivery electric shocks to players if the crowd felt they were underperforming.  that wouldn''t be fair on our hardworking squad!

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="ipswichrscum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

keep your hair on! (if u still have any ..)

i wasnt suggesting anything just saying that was a bad idea.
as is getting 300 000 people to pay over 100 quid, how are we gonna get 300 000 people to pay that! get real

[quote user="ipswichrscum"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="ipswichrscum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

keep your hair on! (if u still have any ..)

i wasnt suggesting anything just saying that was a bad idea.
as is getting 300 000 people to pay over 100 quid, how are we gonna get 300 000 people to pay that! get real

[/quote]

Do you have a problem with my age? Youth of today and all that....

[/quote]

But it''s already been proven to work. Like I said Barcelona... one of the most successful clubs in the world. And they''re not the only ones. You don''t have to vote on every decision, but you can put major decisions in the hands of the fans. Who knows better than us? Nobody. And there isn''t the thing of conflicted interest, fans are in it for the love of their club, not financial gain. It just needs organisation and less apathy. With things like the internet I don''t see why not. 300,000 at £100 a head? That''s 30,000,000.

Think about it.

[quote user="Feathers"][quote user="ipswichrscum"]

[/quote]

But it''s already been proven to work. Like I said Barcelona... one of the most successful clubs in the world. And they''re not the only ones. You don''t have to vote on every decision, but you can put major decisions in the hands of the fans. Who knows better than us? Nobody. And there isn''t the thing of conflicted interest, fans are in it for the love of their club, not financial gain. It just needs organisation and less apathy. With things like the internet I don''t see why not. 300,000 at £100 a head? That''s 30,000,000.

Think about it.

[/quote]

i admire your optimism but ... i extremely doubt you will find 300 000 heads willing to pay 100 quid.

after all, that wud be epecting all the 24 thousand that come to games. and awful lot of which are young children. hardly got money like that.

[quote user="On the Roeder nowhere..."]

Let''s do a Barcelona and lose 2-0 to one of the leagues worst teams.

Oh wait we do that every week...

[/quote]

How can we lose to the worst team in the league when we are the worst ?

[quote user="Feathers"]

This is a bit of a radical idea but, us fans, why don''t we all club together and buy our club? Barcelona and Real Madrid are owned by their fans. Boards of directors, managers and coaches can be decided by democratic vote. Nobody knows how to run a club better than the fans themselves. There''s no point waiting for a rich knight in shining armour to come to the rescue, and recent history has shown how big business is crippling football. There are what, at least 300,000 Norwich fans? How much money can we raise?

It might seem idealistic and pie in the sky, but with organisations like the NCISA we could get the ball rolling. It would have to be as democratic as possible though, with fans not having the uppance over others because of having a higher share. It could be structured like a syndicate trade union, every fan having a say.

Thoughts?

P.S Yes I''m new, but I''ve been reading these boards for a while and after today feel compelled to suggest something drastic. Hello all.

[/quote]Top idea, I saw Barcelona as a kid before I saw Norwich, so have always had a vague interest in them.  They only elect the president, and he does the rest.  Though I am not sure about this 300,000 figure.  100,000 fans willing to give up cash, maybe, but more than that??Also maybe foxile can shed some light, but Leicester cost 25mill, but not sure if they had debts??I therefore reckon we need to raise 30mill.  As we only need to take care of the short-term debt, which is about 4.5mill?  as those are the bits with the costly repayments, the rest is a mortgage.  Thats only (if we have 100,000 fans) 300quid each!  Put in 500, and allow Glenn to sort out some of this crap!I would give a grand to part on Norwich and vote on decisions!Day ONE of Fans Regime: Fire Doncaster!

Lovely idea. But I thing your missing a few key points. Clubs like Barcelona and many other European clubs are exactly that, Clubs. Sporting members/social clubs who have remained true(nearly) to their founding principles despite the global football economy revolution. However, almost all British clubs sold out their social status many years ago and without some form of change in the laws of the game it will be very difficult for fans to regain control of their club with out doing something drastic like the Wimbledon or FC United. Which in my opinion is a step to far and they havn''t really regained them control as its a new entity that claims the heritage of another.

I don''t know if any of you are aware of the my football club website but its worth checking out as its such a far out idea yet it makes a lot of sense. http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/

Something like this may be the way forward. I think they have already started bidding for a club and I think the £12-30 million price tag banded about on this thread is out of their price range, so them considering Norwich is unlikely. But thats not to say we could not set up a similar scheme for the purchase of Norwich. Even if it didn''t succed, it would be intersting to see how many people promise to part with their money. Would be very intersting to see how many of us Pink''un posters put our money where are mouths are!

But as I said at the start, I think football has gone to far in the corporate direction for a genuine fans take over to be realistic. I''d love to be proved wrong though!

[quote user="C.T "][quote user="On the Roeder nowhere..."]

Let''s do a Barcelona and lose 2-0 to one of the leagues worst teams.

Oh wait we do that every week...

[/quote]

How can we lose to the worst team in the league when we are the worst ?

[/quote]

I said one of the worst...

[quote user="Bryan Gunn"]

Lovely idea. But I thing your missing a few key points. Clubs like Barcelona and many other European clubs are exactly that, Clubs. Sporting members/social clubs who have remained true(nearly) to their founding principles despite the global football economy revolution. However, almost all British clubs sold out their social status many years ago and without some form of change in the laws of the game it will be very difficult for fans to regain control of their club with out doing something drastic like the Wimbledon or FC United. Which in my opinion is a step to far and they havn''t really regained them control as its a new entity that claims the heritage of another.

I don''t know if any of you are aware of the my football club website but its worth checking out as its such a far out idea yet it makes a lot of sense. http://www.myfootballclub.co.uk/

Something like this may be the way forward. I think they have already started bidding for a club and I think the £12-30 million price tag banded about on this thread is out of their price range, so them considering Norwich is unlikely. But thats not to say we could not set up a similar scheme for the purchase of Norwich. Even if it didn''t succed, it would be intersting to see how many people promise to part with their money. Would be very intersting to see how many of us Pink''un posters put our money where are mouths are!

But as I said at the start, I think football has gone to far in the corporate direction for a genuine fans take over to be realistic. I''d love to be proved wrong though!

[/quote]

Double the price of all levels of season tickets for one season, buy the club out and retain the affordable long term debt. Is that feasible?

[quote user="shortfatb"][quote user="Bryan Gunn"]

[/quote]

Double the price of all levels of season tickets for one season, buy the club out and retain the affordable long term debt. Is that feasible?

[/quote]

I think we''ll struggle to sell season tickets at any price next season after the season we''re having! Let alone double the current price. And if you pay the club twice the price for a season ticket they''re not going to give us the club, they''ll take the money (probably invest it in a road or offices)! Sorry don''t mean to shoot you down, because I like your thinking, just not sure your plan is rock solid.

Is anyone who has studied the clubs accounts and has a good grasp of numbers able to give a educated estimate at the cost of buying the majority stakehold in the club? Not just a ''leicester are worth £25mil so we must be worth £Xmillion!

Why doesn''t the club take any money there is for loans and transfers in January and put it all on this horse a mate of mine gave me a tip on.

Oh wait that would be a stupid idea!

Obviously we''re nowhere near as large a club as Barcelona but I believe we can learn from their example, if not better. Not only choosing someone to run things, but also having a say on who is appointed as manager, or any major investments or changes that are proposed. If things go wrong there''d be nobody to blame but ourselves. We could make the minimum pledge £50, but no maximum. But I think (idealistic as it may be) that every pledge deserves one vote only, therefore every fan gets a say no matter what their finacial situation, and thus avoiding a monopoly of power.

I wish I had the resources to set up such an idea but that''s not lilely right now (I''m even using dial-up internet *sigh*). Still, just putting the idea out there...

*Bump*

This is being discussed on the "possible solutions" thread with some interesting ideas, and even one or two volunteers....not at all a stupid idea.  30,000 people with £1,000 each would be more than enough - not easy or indeed likely....but by no means impossible

I feel the other thread is turning down the conservative route of finding a rich business man to come and rescue us, which is exactly why this club is in a mess in the first place.

By the fans for the fans I say, not by a select few fans who have a lot of money for themselves. Power corrupts indeed.