Sign in to follow this  
XXL16

Latvia's Maris Verpakovskis

Small player but very quick, aggressive, willing to play as a lone striker that we needed; is it a waste to play in Dynamo Kiev? Should we sign him...

I think this one is even beyond Worthington''s negociation ability (which is dam good). He cost Dynamo a couple of million when the rest of Europe knew very little about him, and I am sure his performances have done little to lower this! I am sure he would love to play in the premier league (if he has ambition) but they offer Champions league football, and until 2005/6 we won''t be able to offer this.

However I am sure stepanovs has been mentioned in the past but he didn''t look to bad in either game, although I do not advocate buying players off the back of a couple of good performances in major championships. The name of jordi cruyff springs to mind!

I missed the Lativa vs Czech match because I worked overnight last week, I didn''t know did their Verpakovskis played well or not, but I watched the whole match of yesterday''s match against Germany, this player showed the speed, pace, skill, enthusiasm and most importantly, the "hardiness" to take on the 3 times EURO champion''s defence.

If you said Wayne Rooney was a good player against France, then you should give the same respectation to Verpakovskis. Remember Verpakovskis did not have the same quality service supply from the midfield liked Beckham, Lampard, Scholes and Gerrard. He should at least get one penalty call yesterday, although the first one looked diving (only look diving but he had the smartness to pass the grap of two defenders), but the second one was definitely a late tackle by Germany number 4 Worns!!!

Should we sign him, NO, I think we should sign him from Dynamo Kiev if the money was right, cannot let the talent slip to other teams...

Hi DumbleDelia Is magic, yeah the consistent is the big problem about can they do a job for us week in week out, but I want to point out is their game was quite similar to us in the Premiership this season: always need to defend and only commit little players on the attack...

Of course there is another problem liked living style or languages we had to consider, but I am sure he wouldn''t be very expensive and he would love to play in the Premiership. He may better than Perez or Nilsoon (judge in this 2 matches)....

Still think we need a big striker who can hold the ball up first and foremost...with some of the teams we will be playing next year, the longer we can keep the ball in their half the better...are you listening Mr Crouch??

I saw him too against Germany and was impressed, except that often he just ran into trouible when his teammates couldn''t keep up with him. We already have a fast striker/midfielder in Hux and don''t need another. The only opportunity seems to be on the right wing at Norwich at the moment and we couldn''t buy him for that as it would be a huge gamble.

But when you look at Lativa, they don''t even had a big man forward but they still play the long ball up front for Verpakovskis and Rubins to run on! We already had Svensson as target man...

If Norwich were to buy Verpakovskis it could only be good for the club and would surely be a better signing than Crouch and although Crouch would also be a good signing, I think Verpakovskis would be better. I would say if the price was right we should definately try and get him.
People say Norwich need a target man, but when Svennson came he wasnt that good as a target man anyway although he did score quite a few with his head. If Norwich didnt play with a target man we would just have to keep the ball on the ground more instead of hoofing it up feild more.

Huckerby, Crouch, Verpakovskis up front this season! My dream come true at Carrow Road!!!! :)