Sign in to follow this  
Snuggles

Heading for worst season in 50 years

I just checked back, our lowest position to now was 17th, in 1962 and 1964. To remember a worse season you have to be in your sixties.

what with the biggest tidal surge for east anglia in 50 years, its been a funny old weekend.   its not as abd as it gets though - we have the deathly look of relegation candidates written all over us.whats next, a comet falling to earth and flattening portaloo road???

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]what with the biggest tidal surge for east anglia in 50 years, its been a funny old weekend.   its not as abd as it gets though - we have the deathly look of relegation candidates written all over us.

whats next, a comet falling to earth and flattening portaloo road???

[/quote]

The way they are playing it looks as if there will be two divisions between the two clubs by the end of this season...can you think of anything so humiliating?

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]what with the biggest tidal surge for east anglia in 50 years, its been a funny old weekend.   its not as abd as it gets though - we have the deathly look of relegation candidates written all over us.

[/quote]

The way they are playing it looks as if there will be two divisions between the two clubs by the end of this season...can you think of anything so humiliating?

[/quote]

Ipswich being top of the Premiership next season and Norwich City in Division Two

[/quote]

hopefully :)

[quote user="Snuggles"]

I just checked back, our lowest position to now was 17th, in 1962 and 1964. To remember a worse season you have to be in your sixties.

[/quote]

I do

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Snuggles"]

[/quote]

I do

[/quote]

Now "snuggles" You are a sweet and lovely old boy no doubt , but you are a bit wide of the mark . I saw my first match when i was 5 in 1955 you are not far out mind you I have a little while to go yet.

I remember 1957 well we were dire , the funny thing was we started the season well , we then went on a run of ,how many matches Ricardo ? Close on 30 as i recall without a win .Remember the blanket coming round Ricardo ? I will never forget the embarrassed look on the two who where carrying it and indeed the crowd to witness this sad spectacle , the club begging for money .

I don''t ever remember any kind of protest or fans having a go at each  other, we just accepted it as our lot , hoping for better times ahead . And look what happened two years later . I remember 57 for a personal reason , because arrdee was in deep trouble and i could not do a thing about it , It looked like the end of arrdee being a City supporter . I must tell you about it some time when i can pluck up the courage .

I will admit I am heart broken to see my beloved club as it is but i am more upset to see City fans slagging off fellow fans .What is the matter with you ? We need to be united and try and help our great Club . What good do you think this in-fighting achieves ?[:''(] arrdee

[quote user="arrdee"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Snuggles"]

[/quote]

I do

[/quote]

Now "snuggles" You are a sweet and lovely old boy no doubt , but you are a bit wide of the mark . I saw my first match when i was 5 in 1955 you are not far out mind you I have a little while to go yet.

I remember 1957 well we were dire , the funny thing was we started the season well , we then went on a run of ,how many matches Ricardo ? Close on 30 as i recall without a win .Remember the blanket coming round Ricardo ? I will never forget the embarrassed look on the two who where carrying it and indeed the crowd to witness this sad spectacle , the club begging for money .

I don''t ever remember any kind of protest or fans having a go at each  other, we just accepted it as our lot , hoping for better times ahead . And look what happened two years later . I remember 57 for a personal reason , because arrdee was in deep trouble and i could not do a thing about it , It looked like the end of arrdee being a City supporter . I must tell you about it some time when i can pluck up the courage .

I will admit I am heart broken to see my beloved club as it is but i am more upset to see City fans slagging off fellow fans .What is the matter with you ? We need to be united and try and help our great Club . What good do you think this in-fighting achieves ?[:''(] arrdee

[/quote]

26 matches Ray.

Looks on the cards that we will challenge that record this season.

I think the infighting will only end when Delia realises that it''s time to go. It amazes me that some people still think we can turn things round and reach the playoffs. Don''t they realise that we need playoff form in the remaining matches simply to finish out of the bottom 3?

I''m not that old, but getting older all the time!

My first match was the FA Cup tie against Sheffield Wednesday in 1967. Over 40,000 packed in that day. It was a bit of an eye-opener - there were people who had dyed their hair green and yellow! We lost 3-1. We were 3-0 down, and by the time we scored I had completely lost interest and missed the goal. My dad had to tap me on the shoulder and tell me. Wasn''t it Tommy Bryceland who scored? I remember wondering: if our colours are green and yellow, why do we wear black shorts?

1957 was obviously a terrible season, with the financial problems and finishing bottom of Div 3 (S), but then we were just what we''d always been - a minor club which had never even played in Div 2.  Today''s failure is all the more painful because it''s set against all the good times we''ve had since ''57.  You could say ''57 was the "darkest hour before the dawn". Everything moves in cycles, and I''ve no doubt our time will come again. If we could pull in 40,000 punters in the 1960s, we could at least match that again (if capacity ever allows..). And in the end it''s usually the fan base which determines the long term success of a club.

Keep the faith!

That FA Cup tie against Sheffield Wednesday was my first match too! Fantastic atmosphere and packed stands.We never got near that attendance in any league games though. In thoise days the FA Cup really was magic!

[quote user="Snuggles"]

My first match was the FA Cup tie against Sheffield Wednesday in 1967. Over 40,000 packed in that day. It was a bit of an eye-opener - there were people who had dyed their hair green and yellow! We lost 3-1. We were 3-0 down, and by the time we scored I had completely lost interest and missed the goal. My dad had to tap me on the shoulder and tell me. Wasn''t it Tommy Bryceland who scored? I remember wondering: if our colours are green and yellow, why do we wear black shorts?

1957 was obviously a terrible season, with the financial problems and finishing bottom of Div 3 (S), but then we were just what we''d always been - a minor club which had never even played in Div 2.  Today''s failure is all the more painful because it''s set against all the good times we''ve had since ''57.  You could say ''57 was the "darkest hour before the dawn". Everything moves in cycles, and I''ve no doubt our time will come again. If we could pull in 40,000 punters in the 1960s, we could at least match that again (if capacity ever allows..). And in the end it''s usually the fan base which determines the long term success of a club.

Keep the faith!

[/quote]

If I may join the '' Old Codgers Corner '' - with apologies to Snuggles and Nutty - to say that 1967 Cup game was only my second match. My first was the previous home match against Bristol City when Laurie Sheffield scored our goal. There was 28,000 there that day ( but they were selling the Cup tickets ! )

Looking back I used to think that the football at Carrow Road in the Sixties was pretty naff but compared to today''s dross I''m not so sure ........

PS..... To be a pedantic old git, Snuggles, we were only 2-0 down when Bryceland scored. When it went in I was somewhere  in the middle of the Barclay but when we''d finished celebrating I was down near the front !..........Health & Safety Laws ? Pah !!

[quote user="Snuggles"]

Keep the faith!

[/quote]

"Snuggles" you lovely old boy I feel you are again a bit off the mark when you say "we where a minor club in 1957 and never played in div 2 I think you are wrong we were promoted in the late 30s but relegated within 2 seasons from div 2 , I think i am right anyhow cheers good buddy [Y] arrdee.

[quote user="arrdee"][quote user="Snuggles"]

Keep the faith!

[/quote]

"Snuggles" you lovely old boy I feel you are again a bit off the mark when you say "we where a minor club in 1957 and never played in div 2 I think you are wrong we were promoted in the late 30s but relegated within 2 seasons from div 2 , I think i am right anyhow cheers good buddy [Y] arrdee.

[/quote]

You''re probably right, arrdee, although I''m sure you''ll agree that a couple of seasons in Div 2 isn''t much of a heritage, so I think my overall point still stands..  I used to have a book which would tell me those sorts of things, but I lost it years ago and so now I have to rely on my ever-failing memory!

[quote user="Snuggles"]

[/quote]

I don''t want to get too anal about this, but this could still very easily be our lowest finish since being promoted from the old division 3 in 1960.

1963/64 is currently our worst season since then. That year we finished 17th, having won 11 and drawn 13. That''s 49 points if you have 3 points for a win. Factor in the extra 4 games we play nowadays, and I reckon we need to get 54 points to do better than we did in 1964. That''s touch and go, I''d say.

[quote user="Snuggles"][quote user="Snuggles"]

[/quote]

I don''t want to get too anal about this, but this could still very easily be our lowest finish since being promoted from the old division 3 in 1960.

1963/64 is currently our worst season since then. That year we finished 17th, having won 11 and drawn 13. That''s 49 points if you have 3 points for a win. Factor in the extra 4 games we play nowadays, and I reckon we need to get 54 points to do better than we did in 1964. That''s touch and go, I''d say.

[/quote]

What am I bloody saying? I know I''m a bit hung over, but that arithmetic is definately a fail.

I''ll get me coat.

You don''t need such long memories to remember worse than this at this stage of the season. Cast your minds back just 10 years to April 4th 1998. We lost 2-3 at home to Bradford and had 45 points from our 41 games. That Bradford game was our 13th without a win and we looked "nailed on" to be relegated. We then won 3 and drew 1 of our last 5 games, including tose two 5-0 home wins that some people remember so dearly, and finished the season on 55 points. I''m betting we will better that finish this season although I''m not expecting the two 5-0 home wins. Of course it''s not so dramatic now is it!

[quote user="Snuggles"][quote user="Snuggles"][quote user="Snuggles"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What am I bloody saying? I know I''m a bit hung over, but that arithmetic is definately a fail.

I''ll get me coat.

[/quote]I don''t have anything to add on this, I just thought I''d best stop you talking to yourself.  And I remember the Hamilton season Nutty Nigel is talking about, and that was indeed the worst of the worst.  At least Roeder has us trying to play football.

[quote user="James Maloney"]

And I remember the Hamilton season Nutty Nigel is talking about, and that was indeed the worst of the worst.  At least Roeder has us trying to play football.

[/quote]

It was the last Mike Walker season James.

In 1957-58 two leaders appeared! Arthur South. and Archie Macaulay

And a phoenix arose from the ashes. The original Norwich City.

Will anybody emerge in 2008 to rescue Delia''s new Norwich City? Not if she can bl*ody help it!

Hands off my little toy you horrible lot. It''s mine, all mine.

C''est la vie. C''est la vie en 2008.

Ah so.

OTBC

I remember the 1957 season very well, what with the long run of games without a win and the blankets going round the ground. I think we even lost one game 7-3 at home(?)There were highlights in and around that era, though. I believe in one game (Shrewsbury?) we were 4-2 down with 15 minutes to go and won 5-4.It was also during this time I - and thousands of others - saw my first tv colour broadcast. This was at St Andrew''s Hall''s ideal homes exhibition.Football-wise, though, it is very depressing to feel that the club is returning to what it was 50 years ago - mind you it has been a very exciting ride on the way!No progress in 50 years..........

I think you lot are a load of drama queens! [;)] Get down the Maddermarket for an audition [H]

In 1957 we finished bottom of the entire Football League (well, apart from Crewe and Tranmere) and had to apply for re-election. This season we are currently 17th in the second tier with 49 points from 41 games needing a couple more wins to be safe. There is no comparison between the two. I still think we were a lot closer to dropping out of this division 10 years ago.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

You don''t need such long memories to remember worse than this at this stage of the season. Cast your minds back just 10 years to April 4th 1998. We lost 2-3 at home to Bradford and had 45 points from our 41 games. That Bradford game was our 13th without a win and we looked "nailed on" to be relegated. We then won 3 and drew 1 of our last 5 games, including tose two 5-0 home wins that some people remember so dearly, and finished the season on 55 points. I''m betting we will better that finish this season although I''m not expecting the two 5-0 home wins. Of course it''s not so dramatic now is it!

[/quote]

i remember that NN.. we got Neale Fenn on loan from Spurs and he scored a couple of crucial goals to keep us up i think...

jas :)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think you lot are a load of drama queens! [;)] Get down the Maddermarket for an audition [H]

In 1957 we finished bottom of the entire Football League (well, apart from Crewe and Tranmere) and had to apply for re-election. This season we are currently 17th in the second tier with 49 points from 41 games needing a couple more wins to be safe. There is no comparison between the two. I still think we were a lot closer to dropping out of this division 10 years ago.

[/quote]

Or drama kings? Never heard anybody talking about them.

The point of this thread nutty is that this may turn out to be our worst season since 1957.

We''re not comparing our performance this year with 1957.

''Ten years ago'' and  ''today'' - same leadership. No improvement. The overarching trend of the last 12 years is steady decline. Something needs shaking up - and you and I know what that is, don''t we!

OTBC

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

i remember that NN.. we got Neale Fenn on loan from Spurs and he scored a couple of crucial goals to keep us up i think...

jas :)

[/quote]

That''s the season Jas but I don''t think Neale Fenn was the reason we escaped. He certainly wasn''t the best Spurs Reserve to come here! I was never that impressed with him, I think he scored a goal in one of those 5-0 home wins. Didn''t he end up at Peterboro?

[quote user="Budgie"]I remember the 1957 season very well, what with the long run of games without a win and the blankets going round the ground. I think we even lost one game 7-3 at home(?)

There were highlights in and around that era, though. I believe in one game (Shrewsbury?) we were 4-2 down with 15 minutes to go and won 5-4.

It was also during this time I - and thousands of others - saw my first tv colour broadcast. This was at St Andrew''s Hall''s ideal homes exhibition.

Football-wise, though, it is very depressing to feel that the club is returning to what it was 50 years ago - mind you it has been a very exciting ride on the way!

No progress in 50 years..........
[/quote]

Football-wise, though, it is very depressing to feel that the club is returning to what it was 50 years ago .

Hang on , hang on Budgie , We were applying for re-election 50 yrs ago , no such problems nowadays . I lived through the re-election and nail biting it was I don''t mind telling you but no such worries now , look at all those leagues we have to go through first , Div 1 , Div 2 , Blue Square , etc , Its nowhere the same .[:D] arrdee.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

''Ten years ago'' and  ''today'' - same leadership. No improvement. The overarching trend of the last 12 years is steady decline. Something needs shaking up - and you and I know what that is, don''t we!

OTBC

[/quote]

We''re doomed I tell ye [li]

Bly... indulge me... Do you have a selective memory or maybe no memory at all.. or maybe does your memory close down in 1960?

10 years ago was surely when the late great Geoffrey Watling chose to sell his majority shareholding to the ''current leadership''? [:^)] I would suggest that something then got all shook up[8] because the next two attempts at leaving this division were through the front door.

No improvement between 1998 and now? Do you believe that? I remember being part of a crowd of less than 10,000 for a league game in 1998. I remember real fears of relegation as we went into the last 5 games not having won in the previous 13.

I don''t think anyone can deny things have improved over the last 10 years even though I agree our league position between now and then is similar.

Never mind BlyBly our Chief Executive will soon surface telling us how well the club is run, record season ticket sales, sold more meat pies than any other team in the division and are well on course to finish the season with some non footballing award that will make us the envy of all.

My dream is that one day we will have a Chief Executive that realises Football is all that matters to most supporters but I''m not holding my breath.

Already the rumour mill has started about who we are after next season Leeds and Notts Forest players head the queue with other clubs in the hunt remember Sharp last season haha.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

We''re doomed I tell ye [li]

Bly... indulge me... Do you have a selective memory or maybe no memory at all.. or maybe does your memory close down in 1960?

10 years ago was surely when the late great Geoffrey Watling chose to sell his majority shareholding to the ''current leadership''? [:^)] I would suggest that something then got all shook up[8] because the next two attempts at leaving this division were through the front door.

No improvement between 1998 and now? Do you believe that? I remember being part of a crowd of less than 10,000 for a league game in 1998. I remember real fears of relegation as we went into the last 5 games not having won in the previous 13.

I don''t think anyone can deny things have improved over the last 10 years even though I agree our league position between now and then is similar.

[/quote]

10 years ago was your timeframe - check it.

The last 12 years was my timeframe - check it.

Tell me where we were in the table in April 1998 (2008 minus 1996 = 12 years) - and how that compares with now.

The league table doesn''t lie.

You do have a challenge with numbers don''t you nutty, It''s more difficult to play fast and loose with them than words.

1960 was before your time, so what would you know if you didn''t go to the matches then?

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

10 years ago was your timeframe - check it.

The last 12 years was my timeframe - check it.

Tell me where we were in the table in April 1998 (2008 minus 1996 = 12 years) - and how that compares with now.

The league table doesn''t lie.

You do have a challenge with numbers don''t you nutty, It''s more difficult to play fast and loose with them than words.

1960 was before your time, so what would you know if you didn''t go to the matches then?

OTBC

[/quote]

You have finally lost me babes.. I thought I did tell you where we were in the table in 1998.. we had 45 points from 41 games.

What''s 1996 got to do with anything? For the record in April 1996 we had 50 points from 41 games and your mate Bob was trying all kinds of things to stop the 13,000  protesting fans being heard.

It''s true 1960 was before my time, my first game was in 1967. My next game will be on Saturday. My first game at Ipswich wasn''t ''til 1973 and my next game there will be the following Sunday. Let''s hope it''s not a repeat of April 1996 or 1997 and especially not February 1998. Like many things our results at Portman Road also improved after 1998.