Sign in to follow this  
ManchesterCanary

The Facts...

Despite obvious and understandeable bias, some supporters need to realise we are not a large urban conurbation such as London, Birmingham or the North West and whichever way you slice it neither are we a leading club with lots of money. Therefore we cannot attract the best managers or players. Being realistic and objective, we are at best a middle tier club, currently bottom of the Championship with a crop of less than average players; have a fairly clueless board, no money worth mentioning and are sinking quite fast into relative obscurity...lets be honest, not great attractions for any manager!

Yet...and this is the crunch...despite all those things Roeder wanted this job...badly enough to call on his phone to ask for an interview. He knows we are a footballing club, have good training facilities and unbelievable support...which tells me he is here for the right reasons...football reasons. And he accepted a less than usual 2.5 year contract. I admire all that.

Bruce did not want the job...at least not enough. Jewell ditto, and both would probably only have seen us as a stepping stone. The others in the frame are unproven and all of questionable managerial talent. Bolton and Palace have both done worse in my view...and so will Leicester while they have Mandaric.

Roeder has Premiership and European experience and likes his teams to play football (no more hoofball thank god!). He is also respected in the game and has contacts. And you do not get to manage Newcastle United if you are a mug! I think we have done well under the circumstances...he gets my support. 

My father in law (to be) is a Newcastle fan and thought highly of Roeder, he was just unbelievably unlucky with injuries - and spent a good part of the season with only 1 fit senior striker - I like to see Fergie or Wenger do well under those circumstances!

Of course he wanted the job , hes hardly going to land a job at a bigger club than this is he because hes failed everywhere hes been .As soon as he was linked you just knew he would get it , dull as ditchwater  same as evey manager the tipsy cook has appointed.

We may not be situated in a large urbanised are but we only have 1 team within 40 miles of here, whereas there are probably more than 10 clubs situated within an hours drive of Manchester city centre. As a result we are no worse off in terms of potential support than clubs based in the larger cities. It''s all relative as far as I''m concerned.

ManchesterCanary - I think you bring a little welcome perspective. No matter how much we offered in cash to do the job (and you can be sure the Cluck clan would howl with protest when it came to paying a failed "ambitious" choice off) most managers with first class experience would never come to Norwich as we stand now. To get a manager with Premiership and European experience who has taken a struggling club out of the relegation zone is a good result by the board, whatever you think of their performance before now.

I echo everything you say.

Also, Roeder''s best season came when picking up the pieces after Graeme Souness''s disastrous stint in charge.  The scotsman, who was far too prone to slating individuals in the press, ruined team spirit and left behind him a squad lacking in confidence and short of ability in key areas. 

Not that there''s an obvious parallel here or anything, but...

Good luck, Glenn, and come on you yellows.