Sign in to follow this  
Desert Fox

Roder Interview On 5 Live - New Players!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/sol/newsid_7060000/newsid_7069100?redirect=7069174.stm&news=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1&nbwm=1

Doesnt seem to have any inspiring ideas beyond "hard work" (where have we heard that before).

However, the really interesting thing is that he is hinting at 3 to 4 new players, some possibly before the weekend and that he has already laid teh gorund work for this.

Bearing in mind he probably hasn''t met or seen the players train yet, I don''t think it''s that surprising that he doesn''t have much to say.

As we have two players on loan already, are we able to get 3/4 more players in before the January transfer window?

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

and that he has already laid teh gorund work for this.

[/quote]

which leads me to believe he has had the job for quite some time. it just wasnt "official"

jas :)

[quote user="Desert Fox"]Presumably he has been promised some of the funds that have clearly been withheld from Grant.[/quote]

It was clearly stated that there were funds available to Grant for loans, so your use of the word "withheld" is misleading

[quote user="GazzaTCC"]

[quote user="Desert Fox"]Presumably he has been promised some of the funds that have clearly been withheld from Grant.[/quote]

It was clearly stated that there were funds available to Grant for loans, so your use of the word "withheld" is misleading

[/quote]

If my memory is correct there were some statements earlier this summer relating to the money from the sales of Earnshaw and Etuhu being added to the transfer budget that Grant had.

What inspiring ideas did you expect to hear from a first press conference???

''I have not met the boys yet but I am sure they will benefit from wearing purple wigs on matchdays...."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/player/sol/newsid_7060000/newsid_7069100?redirect=7069174.stm&news=1&bbram=1&nbram=1&bbwm=1&nbwm=1

Doesnt seem to have any inspiring ideas beyond "hard work" (where have we heard that before).

However, the really interesting thing is that he is hinting at 3 to 4 new players, some possibly before the weekend and that he has already laid teh gorund work for this.

[/quote]

Gazza/NCFC1,

I am reading between the lines. Since about mid-summer, Doncaster toned down the message that Grant would get to spend all the funds generated from transfers and we stopped paying a fee for players. I am suggesting that the Board (and most probably the Turners) were unsure about PG and were hedging their bets. This thinking also extends to the lack of an appointment of a coach. In other words, they wanted to avoid compensation payments in case they got rid of PG and provide some sort of transfer kitty to entice the right man. The same happened to Worthington in his last six months.

Can I turn the question around and ask you whether, when PG was facing the real possibility of the sack, why would he have not wanted to spend whatever funds he could to save his neck? He knew we were weak in CM and had injuries. Do you honestly believe he did not ask for funds to get a quality CM for a month just to arrest our decline? They were and are available at the right price. I personally don’t believe the Board’s statement that he only had to ask and that there is more. Unfortunately, I don’t think the truth will ever come out to prove either of us right or wrong.

[quote user="JC"]

What inspiring ideas did you expect to hear from a first press conference???

''I have not met the boys yet but I am sure they will benefit from wearing purple wigs on matchdays...."

[/quote][/quote]

JC,

You have probbaly read too much into my initial reactionary comment.

I guess that my expectations were sufficiently low as not to expect anything more than he said (i.e. standard football manager waffle. However, contrast that with what Grant had to say when he first got the job, he was positively buzzing with ideas (e.g. we have to play passing football, play people in position and belnd in the kids). Grant''s failing was that he did not practice what he preached.

Therefore, I may be pleasntly surprised by Roeder in that he might not talk big, but let his results speak for themselves. We will know the whole shape of our season within the next six matches. If he cant turn things around quickly, I fear that we will be adrift and that morale will implode further. However, lets keep an open mind and see what he can deliver.

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][D]

Cheers, JC.

[quote user="AJ"]Did anyone else notice his apparent stutter?

[/quote]

N N N N No.

What''s your point?