Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

im unsure what to make of roeder

yes he talked the talk... (but then find me a manager that doesn''t)

but his previous record is nothing short of woeful!

losing 22 of 35 games at Gillingham is worrying, although ill for a short spell when at West Ham he set the ball in motion for their relegation  and wasn''t making them into promotion contenders when in the championship.

His spell at Newcastle led to them almost being embarassed by Mansfield at St James park in the FA Cup, saw the club flit round the lower reaches of the premiership, and he lost the support of the fans there.

however... he did also sign Mickey Owen for the barcodes, and has worked with some good coaches so maybe has learnt somethign from them...

i just cant help feeling the board have put the final nail in their coffin though.

We Have to give Roeder a chance, but this could be a painful season.

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

losing 22 of 35 games at Gillingham is worrying, although ill for a short spell when at West Ham he set the ball in motion for their relegation  and wasn''t making them into promotion contenders when in the championship.

His spell at Newcastle led to them almost being embarassed by Mansfield at St James park in the FA Cup, saw the club flit round the lower reaches of the premiership, and he lost the support of the fans there.

however... he did also sign Mickey Owen for the barcodes, and has worked with some good coaches so maybe has learnt somethign from them...

i just cant help feeling the board have put the final nail in their coffin though.

[/quote]

Im see where you are coming from Jas but for me thats it. Im not attending another game untill this board has left the club.

I sort of agree Jas.  I''m not sure how I feel about this appointment. 

I think it''s unfair to judge him on what he did at Gillingham.  It was years ago and he was a rookie then.  Far more relevant is what he did at Newcastle and to an extent West Ham.  Certainly he seems to have had a positive effeect on these clubs in the short term- exactly what we need at the moment.  Perhaps he sees this as his opportunity to really move a club on.

Next few weeks/months should be interesting and I suppose those of us on the fence will start to form an opinion then. 

How about sausages?.........

He''s going to flop like all the rest of this Board''s losers. The wrong type of man altogether...and given the shortage of cash to spend he will be gone as soon as we are relegated.

[quote user="NEIL CLUCKCASTER"]

He''s going to flop like all the rest of this Board''s losers. The wrong type of man altogether...and given the shortage of cash to spend he will be gone as soon as we are relegated.

[/quote]

So Fluck.....what type of man would you have wanted?! It could have been alot worse....Allen,Parkinson,Tilson,Holloway..

The guy needs to be given a chance, keep the gripes against the board seperate. The fate of OUR clubs playing fortunes is now in his hands and it will make his life easier if we backed him.

I have read elsewhere he has no "charisma"...Worthy didnt either but he achieved good things here...then we wanted a more animated type of charracter. Someone who will throw his arms about and show some passion = Grant. I feel his personality will be a gd calming influenceon the frail players under his guidance.

For the record im not a board lover,wearing blinkered specs or in anyway a club official.

[/quote]

Very nice they are too cluckinoracaster or whatever you are called these days[H]

i hope he makes it for all our sakes jas, but surely as a free agent, he could''ve been appointed 2 1/2 weeks.  hobsons choice for both i''m afraid.i can''t for the life of me recall another club taking so long to appoint a manager - esepecially given our league posi then.  their negligent dithering has turned drift, into slide and possibly collapse - what a job poor glen has.the board have lost all of my sympathy and support over this - if we go down, i might well have to chuck my delia cookbooks onto a large funeral pyre!

Thank god for that - another idiot leaves a space in the barclay for a genuine football fan.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Im see where you are coming from Jas but for me thats it. Im not attending another game untill this board has left the club.

[/quote]

[/quote]

But Man Utd were nearly embarassed by Exeter at Old Trafford the other season and had to go to a replay....

Point being every team can slip up in the cup, we''ve done it often enough in the league cup against lower opposition

[/quote]I''d say he''s exactly the type of man we need. We''re bottom of the league and Grant lost the dressing room. The new manager needed experience, but above all needed to be someone who the likes of Huckerby, Dublin, Hartson and David Marshall would respect. I can''t see Steve Tilson or Martin Allen turning up without the dressing room thinking "Who the heck are you and what have you done?". Glenn Roeder isn''t going to set the world on fire, but he''s a fair safe and steady appointment, and he''s managed some worldclass players like Alan Shearer.

the more I think about it he is the best of a bad bunch, Doncaster should be held to account, fifty quality applicants my **** , but until we pin the slimeball down, we have to support the team, esp on Sunday!

[/quote]

His record shows he has got better at each club.

I believe Newcastle finished 7th in his first season in charge and some very decent manager'' have not suceeded at St James - Guillit & Dalglish for starters.

Some fans on this forum wanted Souness and Roeder''s record at Newcastle is much better.

As for West Ham in the champs, I believe he was in charge for only 3/4 games so difficult to judge.

I can''t say the appointment had me celebrating but as many have said he is probably a safe pair of hands and he does tend to have a real impact on a club in his first season in charge which is something we really need. Despite what so may say we do not want to relegated so that the Stowmarket 2 leave!

[/quote]

If everyone had this view Cluck, then yes... he''s bound to flop.  As with most things, if you go in with the attitude that you''re going to fail, suprise, suprise! you usually will...  Why not give the guy a chance before writing him off, he''s not my number one choice either, but he certainly isn''t my last... If people like you actually got behind the team then maybe Carrow Rd would have a better atmosphere and the players would respond to it... at the moment its a vicious circle going on, with players scared to try anything adventurous.

[quote user="JC"]

Thank god for that - another idiot leaves a space in the barclay for a genuine football fan.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

Try 60 years of constant support before you start going on about genuine fans you fool!

[quote user="Gibbo"][quote user="NEIL CLUCKCASTER"]

[/quote]

If everyone had this view Cluck, then yes... he''s bound to flop.  As with most things, if you go in with the attitude that you''re going to fail, suprise, suprise! you usually will...  Why not give the guy a chance before writing him off, he''s not my number one choice either, but he certainly isn''t my last... If people like you actually got behind the team then maybe Carrow Rd would have a better atmosphere and the players would respond to it... at the moment its a vicious circle going on, with players scared to try anything adventurous.

[/quote]

"If you go in with the attitude that you`re going to fail,suprise, surprise! you usually will....."

I think you would be better to address that attitude to a board who budgeted to finish bottom of the Prem and budget to finish mid-table in this league, and who`s virtual paranoia about spending money on the football team has seen any momentum, confidence or belief evaporate on the football side whilst their pet projects continue to swallow up millions off the pitch.

There were numerous options that would have been worse than appointing Roeder.

Jim Duffy might have got the job.

Phil Parkinson was up in the running and had two interviews.

Tony Pulis was, I am led to believe, the Boards no.1 choice from day 1.

Steve Staunton was another possibility.

John Gregory another.

...he has to be given a chance. End of.

However, whether the Board deserve any more, thats another question.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][

[/quote]

I thought you wouldn''t miss the derby match? Do you have a spare ticket going and are you open to offers?

[quote user="One Flew Over..."][quote user="Arthur Whittle"][

[/quote]

I thought you wouldn''t miss the derby match? Do you have a spare ticket going and are you open to offers?

[/quote]

Sorry my season ticket goes to my sons mate