Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

ROEDER - THE POSITIVES!

I suspect, like most people, I was unsure about what to make of Roeder''s appointment at first.

He will, as they say be judged upon results but that must not be Sundays result it has to be over a period of time and with the inherited squad and league position it might have to be after a very long time because he has an awfully big job in front of him.

I know it''s probably ridiculous but I am glad to have an English manager again although if successful I couldn''t care if the manager came from Mars, and in an old fashioned sort of way a manager who looks like a boss instead of some scruffy addition to the playing staff. Add to that a manager with a calm and easy manager who, despite the inevitable cliques and stock phrases, is clearly legible and who presents a professional front, doesn''t hang his players out to dry and doesn''t talk in extreems.

I liked the fact he was so positive about bringing in his Assistant AND Coach and his intention to review what he has but to use his connections to bring in loans.

Roeder hit the nail on the head when he identified ''confidence'' as key. I have always believed our players are much better than form indicates and anyone inside or outside of sport does better when confident. How he instills this will be critical.

I am hopeful of seeing a return to football instead of the dire hoofing of the past couple of years and believe Roeder will try to play the game properly.

Respect is vital. Imagine having a manager like Grant at work...he wouldn''t inspire you, unrestrained he would drive you nuts.

Worthington largely had the respect of his players, Hamilton was a joke and we haven''t had a calm authorative and respected man''s man in charge since Mike Walker.

Roeder to me looks like FA old school. His presentation reminds me of the likes of Peters and Hurst and I personally find it refreshing to have a man in charge who I don''t feel embarrased about. In terms of character Roeder is exactly the right person in the same way I feel that for Crystal Palace Warnock is presently the wrong person. In the end, though, it is results that count although a more contented set of players trying to pass the ball and a united support would be a positive start.

You only ever get one chance to make a good first impression and Roeder did that today. I hope the players will believe in him and what he tells them because they clearly didn''t have that relationship with Grant and Duffy.

Some posters on here just spat their dummies because it wasn''t some gravel gobbed scouser from Dubai while others clearly identified themselves as anti-club and whose sad sustenance in life is to pick a passionate subject on a forum and attempt to wound those who want the best for the only team they have. It has been a day of clear revelation.

It may well be a roller coaster ride to the end of the season, it may well be another failing manager of Norwich City but it may also be a turning point and God knows we need one. I will back Roeder and the team because they want to be here and to do a job for my Club and because you have to play with the cards you are dealt, if we cannot do this then we relegate ourselves.

Good Luck Glenn Roeder and come on you Yellows.

An excellent post Rude Old, while I can''t say I was initally thrilled, I guess it was due to my feelings re the board and their total incompetence, which I shouldn''t blame on the person they appoint. I don''t know why really - but I just feel good about this one, as I never did about Worthington, certainly not Hamiton nor Grant.

I too wish him good luck and hope he can extract some cash from the board, he seems to know what he''s about and obviously has good contacts. I too think we will return to some good football from what I have heard about his preferred style of play. Martin Peters, yes, that''s who he reminds me of, was trying to think of who it was earlier, thanks Rude Old....

biggest post ever i think.and a very good one too.very wise words rudolph.i know what you are saying!COME ON YOU YELLOWS!"Things, can only get better!"[8] :D

After initially being a little disappointed I have warmed to this appointment throughout the day. Partly because having listened to what Roeder had to say I believe he will give us a change in direction and I am confident he can recognise where the improvements need to be made. I guess partly too because I am always optimistic and so want him to be succesful.

It seems things have been done a different way by a different board. We may never know they chose Roeder in front of or how many, if any, of the fans favourites really wanted the job. Lets hope they back their man and that he can deliver the signings this club needs.

I have been on and off this messageboard all day and wish I hadn''t. A lot of posters are angry or cynical or both, and to be fair so are the fans who have called and texted me. I told my daughter that Roeder had the job this morning and she just said ohhh noooo! But by lunchtime she had decided that he could be good and was moaning about "those muppets who had been texting Sky Sports News"! She now says she has a better feeling about Roeder than she did last year about Peter Grant. I can see how badly she wants him to be a success, just like so many of us do, and I am proud of her. Surely only the bitterest of City Fans really wants to see the guy fail.

Must say I really liked his attitude on the official site interview, genuinely seemed to believe we''re all in this together - himself, players, fans, everyone - & wasn''t going to worry about what had gone on before, just go at it hell for leather. Thinking back, I always found him an odd manager; he seemed introverted & worried a lot of the time, but then he got some wonderful performances out of his teams. Then it would all go wrong. I thought he was finished after the brain tumour, but came back well with Newcastle before being truly unlucky with injuries.

I don''t know how how people can call him articulate, though; he often reminds me of a Mr. D. Beckham when interviewed. However, you can discern real intelligence, &, as he showed in the above interview, an unexpecterd amount of passion & bravery. Thus far, I''m more impressed with him than I ever was with the garrulous Grant.

It could be (surprisingly) emotional. 

A good post Rudolph.

Glen Roeder wasn''t my first choice ( and as there was nothing stopping this announcement from being made 3 weeks ago)  I dont think it was the Boards either. It is seems likely that some of the big names quoted on this board over the past three weeks were approached but didn''t want to come. However, Glen Roeder does want the job and I think we could have done a lot worse.

Good luck Glen: OTBC 

Yes i believe Roeder could be good for the club, he has something to prove and although i was a ittle disapointed at first this may prove a good appointment.

It''s time to get behind the new manager the board and our team.

COME ON LETS BE AVIN YA....

I like what he says about the need to have players with character. That is something we have been sorely lacking for the past three plus years. Perhaps it was his inside source (Dion Dublin??) who alerted him to this fact?

Anyway, let''s judge the manager by his results, and please board - divert funds to the playing side so that the manager can bring in players with character.

YH

Yep, i was the same, a dreaded feeling, but as the day wore on, i warmed to the guy, he does tick the boxes, and to be honest, i doubt we could have got anyone better.

He has experiance in the top flight, that cant be a bad thing for us, and at least he wasnt some " #2 " that shows potential.

It will be great if he can get us some premiership loans in, something i dont think grant could really do.

Hopefully he will play the kind of football we want, because i think the fans and the players want that, but in all honesty, i dont care how we play untill we have enough points to garantee survival.

Still i think this guy is one of the better managers we have had over the years.

Great post, I think that whatever his short comings, GR will be firm on us not resorting to the long ball game and hopefully won''t make some of the bizarre formations/players out of position that we have been subjected to over the last couple of years - i.e. he knows his football and now we can start to ''keep it low'' and play as the song goes.   

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Martin Peters, yes, that''s who he reminds me of, was trying to think of who it was earlier, thanks Rude Old....[/quote]

Interesting that you should say that because Glenn, Martin Peters and Trevor Brooking all attend the same physiotherapist that I regularly visit so they quite likely know each other.

I guess that he''ll quite likely be moving nearer to Norwich though, unless he wants to face the A12/A140 every day - it''s bad enough doing the journey on match days!

Good post Rude and agree with alot you say.

I am prepared to go out on a limb here in a sea of negativity from others around me and say that I feel this is potentially the best managerial appointment we have had at Norwich since Martin O''Neill.

They have bought in a man with credibility, respect at the highest level of the game, and most importantly - contacts. If and history suggests its a big if, he gets the backing of the board, I can see Roeder and the support team he will bring in taking this club forwards massively from where we are now.

Obviously ultimately depends on the financial backing he is given - but I feel with the money that will be made available Roeder will make it go further than some of the other people being linked with the job - even Paul Jewell and definately Martin Allen.

So step up board - you have got a man in with the potential to take the club forward. You are fundamentally the reason we are where we are at the moment  so its now totally down to you to give him the funds to make it happen. 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

After initially being a little disappointed I have warmed to this appointment throughout the day. Partly because having listened to what Roeder had to say I believe he will give us a change in direction and I am confident he can recognise where the improvements need to be made. I guess partly too because I am always optimistic and so want him to be succesful.

It seems things have been done a different way by a different board. We may never know they chose Roeder in front of or how many, if any, of the fans favourites really wanted the job. Lets hope they back their man and that he can deliver the signings this club needs.

I have been on and off this messageboard all day and wish I hadn''t. A lot of posters are angry or cynical or both, and to be fair so are the fans who have called and texted me. I told my daughter that Roeder had the job this morning and she just said ohhh noooo! But by lunchtime she had decided that he could be good and was moaning about "those muppets who had been texting Sky Sports News"! She now says she has a better feeling about Roeder than she did last year about Peter Grant. I can see how badly she wants him to be a success, just like so many of us do, and I am proud of her. Surely only the bitterest of City Fans really wants to see the guy fail.

[/quote]

I must admit that I was more than a little disappointed with this appointment and probably overreacted a bit.  Maybe RudeOld will have to withdraw his nickname of Captain Sensible for me.

I hope for all the world he does a good job but I just can''t pretend to by excited or overly optimistic about his appointment.  In truth I think a lot of my anger yesterday was mainly for the board.  It seemed to take along time to get a man who was unemployed and despite what people say about it, things can happen very quickly in football if you are decisive and want it too.  I just think the board have missed a big chance to restore supporter confidence and I don''t think they have done it with this appointment.  They were never going to please everyone and I don''t doubt that they hae made the decision for what they beleive to be the right reasons it''s just that Roeder is uninspiring to me.  I didn''t want a big name like Jewell, I didn''t want vast amounts of money to be thrown around to get a big name manager.  I suppose what I was hoping for was a manager on his way up in the game from the lower leagues not someone on a downward spiral.

Enough of that though.  My opinion of Roeder will rise rapidly if he can find what he thinks are his best 11 and some tactics that he sticks to over a period of time.  We cannot continue to keep chopping and changing formations and players like Grant did.  Continuity will breed confidence and that is what we are short on.  I like Rudeold think this set of players are better than where we are in the league.

Most of all (I think you made this point somewhere else Nutty) the board really need to show him as much financial backing as they can and I don''t just mean the odd loan here or there.  If he feels we need a certain player then the board (within reason) are going to have to go out and them.  Here''s hoping that come January we are out of the bottom 3 or otherwise Roeder is going to find it tough to attract players here.

In all we could have had worse but I will support the team and reserve my judgement on Roeder until I have something to judge him on.

That is a ruddy marvellous post old chap - well done.  I would also add that Roeder has SERIOUS connections for the loan market, unlike Grant.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

I suspect, like most people, I was unsure about what to make of Roeder''s appointment at first.

He will, as they say be judged upon results but that must not be Sundays result it has to be over a period of time and with the inherited squad and league position it might have to be after a very long time because he has an awfully big job in front of him.

I know it''s probably ridiculous but I am glad to have an English manager again although if successful I couldn''t care if the manager came from Mars, and in an old fashioned sort of way a manager who looks like a boss instead of some scruffy addition to the playing staff. Add to that a manager with a calm and easy manager who, despite the inevitable cliques and stock phrases, is clearly legible and who presents a professional front, doesn''t hang his players out to dry and doesn''t talk in extreems.

I liked the fact he was so positive about bringing in his Assistant AND Coach and his intention to review what he has but to use his connections to bring in loans.

Roeder hit the nail on the head when he identified ''confidence'' as key. I have always believed our players are much better than form indicates and anyone inside or outside of sport does better when confident. How he instills this will be critical.

I am hopeful of seeing a return to football instead of the dire hoofing of the past couple of years and believe Roeder will try to play the game properly.

Respect is vital. Imagine having a manager like Grant at work...he wouldn''t inspire you, unrestrained he would drive you nuts.

Worthington largely had the respect of his players, Hamilton was a joke and we haven''t had a calm authorative and respected man''s man in charge since Mike Walker.

Roeder to me looks like FA old school. His presentation reminds me of the likes of Peters and Hurst and I personally find it refreshing to have a man in charge who I don''t feel embarrased about. In terms of character Roeder is exactly the right person in the same way I feel that for Crystal Palace Warnock is presently the wrong person. In the end, though, it is results that count although a more contented set of players trying to pass the ball and a united support would be a positive start.

You only ever get one chance to make a good first impression and Roeder did that today. I hope the players will believe in him and what he tells them because they clearly didn''t have that relationship with Grant and Duffy.

Some posters on here just spat their dummies because it wasn''t some gravel gobbed scouser from Dubai while others clearly identified themselves as anti-club and whose sad sustenance in life is to pick a passionate subject on a forum and attempt to wound those who want the best for the only team they have. It has been a day of clear revelation.

It may well be a roller coaster ride to the end of the season, it may well be another failing manager of Norwich City but it may also be a turning point and God knows we need one. I will back Roeder and the team because they want to be here and to do a job for my Club and because you have to play with the cards you are dealt, if we cannot do this then we relegate ourselves.

[/quote]

I''m feeling pretty much the same, disappointed at first but having heard his press conference I couldn''t help but be impressed. I think he can do a good job and I sincerely hope he does.

Although he does have the appearance of a man sucking on a vinegar flavoured boiled-sweet.

It was not the post I initially wanted to see at Carrow Road BUT............. he''s here now and if we don''t get behind him and the team we are well and truly our own worst enemies.I think ultimately, that he needs to be judged after he has been doing the job for a while, not an hour before his 1st press conference. I hope he''s the best manager we''ve ever had and that the success we tasted oh so briefly with Mike Walker is with us again in the not too distant future.As we all heard him say, "...the players seem to be lacking confidence.." I would too if every move was booed or my home crowd ws nearly silent. Don''t play into Ipswichs'' hands, sing up. I will be hoarse by the end of that match.COME ON YOU YELLOWS!

It''s about time someone on this site started working for the team and the club, Hucker sums up the spirit everyone needs to adopt if this club is goint to regain its pride!

Everyone has a view about who it should have been, this is the guy we have, let''s not continue to drag the club down before giving the man a chance. We are not a sing when your winning club, we are proud to be NCFC! Get behind the new Manager and the team on Saturday and let''s show the tractor boys the A140 home with a unexpected thrashing!

Come on Glenn Roeder and you Yellows - show us all what you are made of!

Carrow Road - Sing your hearts out for the lads on Sunday!

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

[/quote]

Top top post . After yesterday''s morass of negativity & personal bile towards GR , a reasoned & thoughtful view at last [:)]

I can''t say that I was overwhelmed with excitement when the appointment was made but thinking about it I don''t think we could have done much better. I think every single potential manager mentioned would have divided opinion apart from Jewell who clearly didn''t want the job. On the subject of Jewell, the way people are talking it''s as if he''s Mourinho. He is a decent manager but let''s not forget how poor Wigan actually were last season. I know they are a smallish club but they made some big signings in the summer (Heskey) and they only just stayed up. It seems that his stock has increased from being out of the game - something that seems to happen more and more these days, especially if you have a good media image. Just look at Curbishley and Strachan...

I hope Roeder does well because I think we need a manager who represents what our club is all about. We are a nice, friendly, family club and we need our manager to represent that. Sometimes that means we are perceived as being a bit of a soft touch  but Grant''s attempts to change what we are about failed. He may be a nice man off the pitch but he didn''t come across as a particularly pleasant man to work for which is why not many people felt sorry for him when he left.

We''ve established that he''s far from being the fans choice, but one positive I can add with absolute certainty is that Roeder is a huge step up from the likes of Worthington, Grant & Duffy.

I''ve always believed that many of the current crop of players can perform much better with the right man at the helm and I sincerely hope that Roeder proves to be that man.

Realistically, none of us know if Roeder will turn out to be a good or bad acquisition for the club, it''s all pure speculation - his track record to date isn''t hugely impressive, but if he proves to be successful here he won''t be the first manager to have learned from previous mistakes.

Being a half full glass man (rather than a half empty) myself this is one of the best posts that I read in the last 24hrs....good on you Rudolph!

I remember seeing GR play for Orient in an FA Cup match against us at their patch way back in the 70s and was instantly impressed with his classy defending in an Alan Hanson sort of way. I''m sure that he will encourage the tean to play the beautiful game in the right way.

Thank God, some real sense!  I agree with you 100%.  No he wasn''t my first choice, but when it was announced I didn''t think it was a bad appointment either.  And no he wasn''t the first choice of the board, or there wouldn''t have been the delay which just happened to coincide with the return of a certain Mr Jewell.  Who knows what the next few months will bring, but there are no guarantees whoever is in charge.  For all those who are intent on spitting poison, presumably so they can say "I told you so" if it goes wrong, just stop and think for a moment...............Would you rather have Megson?  Would you realy be happy if you are able to say "I told you so" come May?  How would you feel if your negative attitude spread to an extent that it transfered from the terraces to the team and you were ultimately instrumental in our failure?  Do you want the club to be successful or do you just want to be right? 

Glenn Roeder, his staff and the players need our full support, now more than ever.  

So if you can''t bring yourself to do that untill you have any real jutification to do otherwise, please just be quiet.  For the sake of the team.  

Bloody hell Rude One! a superb post my man, what the hell went wrong!.[;)]

Now that I''ve calmed down a bit, and after watching Glen on AngliaTV and ''Look East'' last night, I feel just a little more hopeful today.

I have to admit that he came across as articulate and calm, and I didn''t need an interpreter to under stand him!. Personally, I''m delighted that the failed Highlanders have gone, their appointments were a total disaster by the board.

So what do I do now?...........do I now support Roeder?. He''s here, I''m not going to be able to change, or stop that, am I?

So as Glen Roeder is our new club manager, common sense tells me he starts here with a clean sheet...........therefore, until events prove otherwise, I''ll try and back him.[:D]

Some unexpectedly generous comments here, so thank you everyone.

It is so gratifying to see a bit of realism and supporters sticking together for the common good.

No one knows if GR will end up a ''trick or treat'' but we give ourselves a chance by casting out some evil gremlins and moving forward in a spirit of togetherness and determination.

Just remember, Sunday can begin to make our season but whatever happens it alone will not break it.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Bloody hell Rude One! a superb post my man, what the hell went wrong!.[;)]

Now that I''ve calmed down a bit, and after watching Glen on AngliaTV and ''Look East'' last night, I feel just a little more hopeful today.

I have to admit that he came across as articulate and calm, and I didn''t need an interpreter to under stand him!. Personally, I''m delighted that the failed Highlanders have gone, their appointments were a total disaster by the board.

So what do I do now?...........do I now support Roeder?. He''s here, I''m not going to be able to change, or stop that, am I?

So as Glen Roeder is our new club manager, common sense tells me he starts here with a clean sheet...........therefore, until events prove otherwise, I''ll try and back him.[:D]

[/quote]Spoken like a true supporter Wiz. The question is, how many of those on this board want Roeder to fail? That is, it''s more important to them to see the board fail that it is to see our club succeed. Cluck, Smudger?

[quote user="Steve Burns"]

Hope the wind changes soon near you and you can go back to normal !

[/quote]

Don''t be a tw*t all tyour life mate, I want City to win and do well, GR might not be the man to do it, but me slagging him off on here won''t help, will it?.

And I still hold true to my views....................its you that can''t grasp that. But now here today, Glen has my support...........thats the important thing.

To be honest and fair and un-biased, I''ve heard these new manager speeches all the time and they all the same and just a load of tosh. I don''t give tw monkeys what he says, I want us to win football matches and last thing I checked blabbering on doesn''t win them. We need results, if he gets ''em i''ll back him till then the jury is out for me.