Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Admit you were wrong !!

The way I look at it, Gary Doherty has been one of our least bad players this season. I certainly wouldn''t give him much more than 6 out of 10 for any of his performances though.

wasnt he our best player last time we were relegated too? Player of the year i seem to remember....

i think that says it all....

jas :)

Can''t say I entirely agree with you, but he''s certainly not the useless article that other''s on here would have us believe.

He''s prone to errors like everyone else, but most of the time he has been solid on the ground and dominated in the air. Some of his last ditch blocks on and around the edge of the area have been outstanding. Central defenders suffer like goalkeepers in that their errors are magnified because they are the the last line of defence. Huckerby, Russell, Croft  etc can miss as many tackles as they like without it leading directly to a goal.

I''ve been thinking about your claim while I''ve been writing this and come to think of it you might just be right.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

wasnt he our best player last time we were relegated too? Player of the year i seem to remember....

[/quote]

Er, that was the year after we were relegated.

Funny that - I was just thinking this morning that we kind of miss him. He may not be any good but at least he''s consistent!

When Dion Dublin came back from suspension, he did an interview, where he reckoned that Dahoerty has been our best player so far this season.He might have a point.

[quote user="broadie"]Funny that - I was just thinking this morning that we kind of miss him. He may not be any good but at least he''s consistent![/quote]

Consistently bad!!!!!

This must be some kind of joke!! Gary Doherty is an appauling player!! Dion Dublin has been twice as good as Doc when he has played at the back, and he is a different class to the other players in the team. You have to ask yourself whether Doherty would command any sort of transfer fee?? The biggest problem with Doherty is that he gives away so many free kicks on the edge of the box. I cant think of any attributes he has which would make you think he is a good player? He is not quick, he does not command in the air, he does not talk, he gets turned too easily and his passing leaves a lot to be desired!! Saying all that I dont think he has been much worse than a lot of the other players this season!!

Glenn Roeder has a real job on his hands sorting out this mess. We desperately need a good central midfielder, as this is the key area of the team where we will win or lose games.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Don''t think so jas .. he didn''t play much last time we were relegated. I think our best pairing that season was Fleming and Charlton. They leaked least goals anyway.

[quote user="Nigel Worthless"]

This must be some kind of joke!! Gary Doherty is an appauling player!! Dion Dublin has been twice as good as Doc when he has played at the back, and he is a different class to the other players in the team. You have to ask yourself whether Doherty would command any sort of transfer fee?? The biggest problem with Doherty is that he gives away so many free kicks on the edge of the box. I cant think of any attributes he has which would make you think he is a good player? He is not quick, he does not command in the air, he does not talk, he gets turned too easily and his passing leaves a lot to be desired!! Saying all that I dont think he has been much worse than a lot of the other players this season!!

Glenn Roeder has a real job on his hands sorting out this mess. We desperately need a good central midfielder, as this is the key area of the team where we will win or lose games.

[/quote]

Honestly couldn''t have put it any better myself

[quote user="Nigel Worthless"]

[/quote]

Honestly couldn''t have put it any better myself

[quote user="lappinitup"]

For all your negativity..... Gary Doherty has been our best player this season (so far)

Go on...... admit it !

[/quote]

You''re probably right but it speaks volumes about the remaining players and less about GD himself.

T07 a man after my own heart, there was i thinking i was alone in thinking that while Doc gets all the abuse its the ''much loved'' Shacks whos the real problem. Get the captaincy off him and get rid of him Glenn.

Doherty wouldn`t stand out if he was playing two divisions lower. Earlier in the season we were outplayed by Rochdale (?) in the cup and their long-standing centre-back partnership hardly gave us a sniff. One of them (Murphy?) was even described as "quality" by Mourinho. Doherty cost us £500k and, having been signed in the Prem, would be one of our higher wage-earners. We could get an equal player from the lower leagues for a quarter of the cost.

Gary Doherty is a decent player and a decent defender. Hence why he''s been at a big club like Spurs and hence why he''s been capped by Ireland many times.

How many other City players have played their football at an equally high standard as to what the Doc has?

You''re basically only really looking at Dublin and Huckerby. Ok yeah Marshall has played a few games for Celtic and Crofty has had a few run outs for Man City etc etc but really not that many of our squad have played a lot of football at a higher level.

People doubt whether we''d get a transfer fee for him...he''s probably our most valuable outfield player.