Sign in to follow this  
ManchesterCanary

Newcastle perspective on Roeder

My mate is a Newcastle supporter, until recently we worked in Malaysia together and every Friday for years, over a few beers, we used to debate the ups and downs (literally) of our respective teams. He is in his 50''s so seen a manager or two and I learned to respect his views...anyway he emailed me with his take on Roeder and Clark''s appointments;

...so City have taken a risk on Roeder, we have said it all before, he’s good with the kids, needs somebody working above him and cannot control the players. I don’t know the players that are at Norwich but if there is any trouble in the dressing room then Roeder has proved before that he cannot handle that kind of situation and once you have lost the dressing room then it’s all over. Clark is a different case he is very passionate and has done well with the kids at Newcastle but he’s a Geordie through and through and one wonders if he will bring the same kind of commitment to Norwich. He only started coaching two years ago and I know Roeder thinks he can go right to the very top, so perhaps it was too good a chance to turn down. Anyway they seemed to have started off the right way with the drawn in the derby yesterday.

I actually think its great that he and Clark are good with the kids, we all know the age of our squad needs addressing (we could take a leaf out of Ipswich''s books here). Regarding his control of the dressing room, my bet is Roeder has learned a lot from his time at Newcastle and will not let the same thing happen again. I think the board and the likes of Dublin could also help him there. If any player is disrespectful or has too much power, then ship them out pronto whoever they are. We currently have nobody we would miss too much so it is a good time to have a clearout of any disruptive influence.

In my mind, given that Bobby Robson lost his job because of a prima donna dressing room, and that Graeme Souness was brought in as he was seen as the kind of strict disciplinarian who could sort it out, I think it''s unfair to say that Roeder couldn''t control the players. Questions need to be asked about the Newcastle transfer policy however. There appear to have been parallels between the current Spurs policy of bringing in talented youngsters whose market value would increase and that of the Newcastle board. There was a period when Newcastle signed just about every young thug available Woodgate,Bowyer and Dyer to name three. Interesting to note that Allardyce was quick to move Keiron Dyer on (but maybe because he''s so injury prone).