Sign in to follow this  
Steelsilver

Does Red mean Go for Huckerby!!

Has he run his course? He can usually run rings around all those defenders today but he seems to lack vision and the ability to pass them as comfortable as he''s done. He''s gone again for 3 games just when it was thought he was getting the much needed match sharpness he lacked. With 3-4 new loan players coming this week according to Roeder...one would guess there''ll be cover for Hucks and a left back, thats a whole new left side and won''t be easy to intergrate right away into the team that played today. Lappin may take the left wind but he''s not as sharp there, i''m guessing we''ll be weaker on that side. You could see the team spirit deflate for the last 2 minutes after Hucks got sent off. Will it still be affected until his return..i don''t know.

the team learning to walk without huckerby isn''t neccesarily a bad thing, it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise. lappin did really well today.

[quote user="Steelsilver"]Has he run his course? He can usually run

rings around all those defenders today but he seems to lack vision and

the ability to pass them as comfortable as he''s done. He''s gone again

for 3 games just when it was thought he was getting the much needed

match sharpness he lacked. With 3-4 new loan players coming this week

according to Roeder...one would guess there''ll be cover for Hucks and a

left back, thats a whole new left side and won''t be easy to intergrate

right away into the team that played today. Lappin may take the left

wind but he''s not as sharp there, i''m guessing we''ll be weaker on that

side. You could see the team spirit deflate for the last 2 minutes

after Hucks got sent off. Will it still be affected until his return..i

don''t know.[/quote]numpty

[quote user="yellowngreen"][quote user="Steelsilver"]Has he run his course? He can usually run rings around all those defenders today but he seems to lack vision and the ability to pass them as comfortable as he''s done. He''s gone again for 3 games just when it was thought he was getting the much needed match sharpness he lacked. With 3-4 new loan players coming this week according to Roeder...one would guess there''ll be cover for Hucks and a left back, thats a whole new left side and won''t be easy to intergrate right away into the team that played today. Lappin may take the left wind but he''s not as sharp there, i''m guessing we''ll be weaker on that side. You could see the team spirit deflate for the last 2 minutes after Hucks got sent off. Will it still be affected until his return..i don''t know.[/quote]
numpty[/quote]

A bit rich coming from you.

He was better today but he was a total muppet getting himself sent off like that, it''s not as if we have loads of quality replacements to fill in while he''s suspended.

He was quiet for the first twenty, great for the next sixty-eight, and then an idiot for a few mad seconds.  I''m very disappointed, particularly as he knows Drury''s out and now we''re stretched on the left for Watford.  He''s been moaning about the weakness of the squad and the lack of grit in the team, and now he needs to have a good look at himself and come out and apologise.  And yes, it was a definite red card.

its not rich at all, the team seem to have little faith when Hucks is out the game and its like they won''t perform again until he is back in...so what happens now? we lose the next 3? if thats the case we''ll be preparing forlife in the lower reaches!

I think the guy just needs to get a grip, stop whining, and playing up to the pre madonna role. He spoiled his performance by getting sent off, needlessly, after he had looked a real threat for most of the game. Hucks can be one of the best players in the league, unfortuneately he has mouthed off and acted a bit billy big shot over the last few weeks, im not sure how Roeder will deal with it, but my bet would be that he looks to the youth ranks, maybe even recall Smart (if poss), and give them a try.

[quote user="fuzzyfelt"]

He was quiet for the first twenty, great for the next sixty-eight, and then an idiot for a few mad seconds. 

[/quote]

Completely agree. He was back to his old self today and i''m gutted that one mistimed challenge will cost him a 3 game ban. The tackle was just mistimed, not malicious, so ''idiot'' is the wrong word, unlucky in a way perhaps. He should have not bothered tackling like usual.

But, to call for his head after that is ridiculous, insane, anyone can get sent off. It''s just a big shame thats all.

[quote user="Steelsilver"]its not rich at all[/quote]

?

That bit of my post was referring to the guy who replied to you calling you a "numpty" and has nothing to do with your original post at all.

[quote user="breaker2"]I think the guy just needs to get a grip, stop whining, and playing up to the pre madonna role. .[/quote]

Is that the biblical or the musical madonna?

Hux is still important to us, but I fear he may have lost the little bit extra he had which allowed him to skip past players or cut through them. He had good possession several times in the second hald but apart from one cross the delivery wasn''t up to his past standards and he had his head down and lost awareness of where others were. Still, it was encouraging to see him trying again, although that tackle was really stupid.

However yesterday we looked far more multi dimensional than for many seasons. I thought we offered danger down the right through Chadwick, through the middle and also direct from the long ball. This is the aspect that most pleased me- no more hoofing it over to Hux to expect him to do all the work. the movement all over was good and we had some sustanined periods of pressure and possession.

very true indeed, don''t get me wrong..I''m a true fan of Hucks but he needs to start firing for 90 minutes .....not now and then when he fancies a burst.

apart from yesterdays game, all our points have come without Hucks on the field (including palace.. we scored when he went off)..

are we better without him? who knows.... but it is food for thought that we win games when he isnt in the squad,.. its not "same ball to same player" all the time... we have to mix it up and play as a team... his 3 game ban coul;d turn out to be a blessing in disguise..

and no.. this isnt a dig at him before anyone starts! just going by observations of the season so far

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

are we better without him? who knows.... but it is food for thought that we win games when he isnt in the squad,.. its not "same ball to same player" all the time... we have to mix it up and play as a team... his 3 game ban coul;d turn out to be a blessing in disguise..

[/quote]

That''s a decent point actually Jas and it reminds me a little of the situation Arsenal have found themselves in post-Henry. When you have one player who is head and shoulders above the rest then the temptation is to always pass to them. I''ve played in teams like that and you end up always giving the ball to the "star" for fear of what might happen if you go it alone and mess it up. Just look at the transformation in Cesc Fabregas'' game this season since Henry has left (not that I''m comparing my own game to Fabregas of course, he''s not fit to lace my boots [:P]). Would he have scored all of those goals last season or would he have passed to Henry rather than shooting.

Without Hucks we may never have got promoted and we might have been relegated last season but this is likely to be his last season and he has an ongoing hip problem. We need to plan for life without him and maybe now is the time to start. I''d play Chadwick on the left tomorrow and for the next two games and if he plays well I''d leave Hucks on the bench for the next game to come on as an impact player when needed. Having said that I thought he probably had his best game of the season so far yesterday, so maybe we''re writing him off too soon .

I''m amazed at the number of Huckerby haters on the message boards. Ever

since he joined the club he''s given nothing but 100% in effort and

loyalty. How easy people forget the season in which he was the catalyst

which saw us promoted to the premiership. Twice he''s won the player of

the year award (as voted by the fans). If you take time to read his

comment''s you will hear his passion for the club and his irritation of

our current position. Some say he should shut-up but what he sais is

undeniably true regarding selling our best players and not replacing

them. So in answer to our club''s problems, certain people on here wish

to get rid of our best player, the only player other teams fear, the

only player opposition journalists speak favourably of as he actually

shows attacking intent. ''Get rid of Huckerby'' Fools.

[quote user="ob1"]

IT''S PRIMA DONNA.

"pre-madonna".... hahaha [:)]

[/quote]

I think he was comparing Hucks'' recent performances to the moribund music scene of the early 80''s, before the queen of pop burst on to the scene and breathed new life into it.

[quote user="Andyjzr"]I''m amazed at the number of Huckerby haters on the message boards. Ever since he joined the club he''s given nothing but 100% in effort and loyalty. How easy people forget the season in which he was the catalyst which saw us promoted to the premiership. Twice he''s won the player of the year award (as voted by the fans). If you take time to read his comment''s you will hear his passion for the club and his irritation of our current position. Some say he should shut-up but what he sais is undeniably true regarding selling our best players and not replacing them. So in answer to our club''s problems, certain people on here wish to get rid of our best player, the only player other teams fear, the only player opposition journalists speak favourably of as he actually shows attacking intent.

''Get rid of Huckerby'' Fools.[/quote]

Agreed short memories or what. Hucks is still the man he was helping the team just by taking markers out of the game. The opposing teams do not share the view he is spent they still double, sometimes treble on him. yesterday i thought he did very well as did all the team. The shape of the team was better and we defended well as a unit especially in the 2nd half. We still need Hucks imo.

[quote user="ricky knight"]

[quote user="Andyjzr"]I''m amazed at the number of Huckerby haters on the message boards. Ever since he joined the club he''s given nothing but 100% in effort and loyalty. How easy people forget the season in which he was the catalyst which saw us promoted to the premiership. Twice he''s won the player of the year award (as voted by the fans). If you take time to read his comment''s you will hear his passion for the club and his irritation of our current position. Some say he should shut-up but what he sais is undeniably true regarding selling our best players and not replacing them. So in answer to our club''s problems, certain people on here wish to get rid of our best player, the only player other teams fear, the only player opposition journalists speak favourably of as he actually shows attacking intent.

''Get rid of Huckerby'' Fools.[/quote]

Agreed short memories or what. Hucks is still the man he was helping the team just by taking markers out of the game. The opposing teams do not share the view he is spent they still double, sometimes treble on him. yesterday i thought he did very well as did all the team. The shape of the team was better and we defended well as a unit especially in the 2nd half. We still need Hucks imo.

[/quote]

Again Ricky i agree, If we are to go forward Hucks must be a part of it. What i will say though is he must stop seeing himself as the martyh of the club and proving how much he wants to win just to spite his face, which i believe he done with the ridiculous tackle yesterday. I do believe hes still the man to take us forward, just a little silly from time to time., a bit like PG, he used to go ott and that''s why they probably fell out!

I am amazed at people who think that a little criticism of someone or some analysis of how his game may or may not be prgressing generates the sort of head in the sand reactions. Just because a bloke has been at the top of his game doesn''t mean he will be forever. I don''t see many if any Huckerby haters, but the team has relied to such an extent on his brilliance that they must get used to the time when that will fade. But then some folks read what they hope to read, not the actual words in the order they were written and the ordinary meanings ascribed to them.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

apart from yesterdays game, all our points have come without Hucks on the field (including palace.. we scored when he went off)..

[/quote]

No we didn''t, he went off a few minutes after we scored. And didn''t he play against Scunthorpe (a fantastic 0-0 draw against a high-flying team, remember)? Could be wrong though.

The fact remains that most the team seem to rely on Hucks far too much for the last 2 seasons...but remember the 1st season when he joined...he never got the ball as much but when he did he did some great runs etc and scored plenty. So maybe the rest of the players are also to blame as they the ones keep passing to Hucks everytime. On the other hand if Hucks don''t get the ball then we''ll accuse the team of not looking for him..or of Hucks doing too little..so the guy is in a catch 22 position, I really don''t have the answer as to what would be best..hence the title of this...but i''m sure Roeder will make the right choice regarding this. Hucks is starting to remind me of an early day Beckham where if he don''t get his way he goes out of his way to do something stupid like get sent off.

is hucks still a matchwinner???Potentially yes - great goal against bristol, awful defence let us down there - but overall, difficult to say giving the crud start to the seasson???so can he still create??? imo - yes he can. nuff said. 

Huckerby was on fire against the Binners on Sunday. The red card was, I thought, unfortunate and unavoidable from his point of view, seeing how Walters came in to the tackle just as high as he did - but I think that has more to do with Rob Styles looking for any excuse going to get his red card out for someone than Ipswich cheating or Huckerby losing his temper.

Comparing the first and second half against Ipswich - in the first half Huckerby was receiving the ball much too deep in his own half and 7 or 8 times out of 10 with his back to goal. He was much stronger in the second half when we generally had Ipswich pegged back and Huckerby could receive the ball on the touchline, facing goal just outside the penalty area, where he was really having a good go at them and I thought he was superb.Most importantly though - even when he wasn''t in possession, he was dragging out, at times, three defenders to mark him - which we largely failed to make the most of. It meant there was bags of extra space in the centre of the park on the edge of the 18-yard area, yet we never really seemed to fill it, with both Russel and Brellier playing too deep.