Sign in to follow this  
Indy_Bones

Roeder far better than given credit for

The over-riding feeling on the boards at the minute seems to be that people are not convinced by the appointment of Glenn Roeder. There are those who are willing to see how he does, but far more who don''t think he should have been appointed.

We''ve had the lines regularly trotted out about getting 2 sides relegated and being sacked 3 times, but why are none of the positives being mentioned?

When he took over at West Ham, they had already sold/released a number of their better players such as Stimac and Pearce, the most notable being Lampard who departed shortly before GR''s appointment. He was then left with a team of older players past their best - Winterburn, Kitson, Potts, Forrest among others, unproven young talent which needed time to develop - Defoe, Joe Cole & Carrick, the often difficult temperaments of Kanoute and Di Canio, and a collection of very average other players to select from. Hardly a simple job.

During his time at West Ham, he made great strides in the development of the younger players, and notably got the best performance out of Sinclair in over 11 years with a return of 8 goals and some great assists, and also the best return from Kanoute in his career (until last season with Sevilla). He brought in a good keeper in David James, and was unlucky with the signing of Don Hutchison who had a real mare of a time at West Ham.

Roeder then managed to lead the team to 7th in the Prem, a great acheivement considering the state of West Ham overall when he was appointed.

The season after was less successful, and problems such as injuries and suspensions proved costly, with both Kanoute and Di Canio being out together at one point, leaving a front line of Kitson and 19yr old Defoe...then right in the middle of the relegation dogfight they were in, he was struck down with a brain tumor...who knows how long this could have been affecting him on a personal level before the diagnosis? I''m sure that Glenn wouldn''t use it as an excuse, but any reasonable individual can surely see the massive impact this could easily have had on the guy.

Then on to Newcastle, appointed as youth team coach where he was very successful in their performances and bringing young players through, a comment from a well known NUFC blog site was:

"The youth team and the enhanced scouting system Glenn Roeder has put in place over the last two years is exactly what Newcastle United need in order to have a good pipeline of young local talent coming through. All credit to Glenn Roeder for this."

Following the disaster that was Souness, Roeder was put in temp charge of a Newcastle team who were languishing a mere 6 points from the relegation zone and who hadn''t won in over 6 matches.

Roeder somehow managed to get a team with only 1 real striker, a bunch of youngsters and a large amount of ''big name attitudes'', back up the table winning 10 out of 15 games, giving them a 7th place finish and also claiming the less glorious Intertoto Cup.

An incredibly impressive turnaround within a 4 month timespan.

As many will point out, the year after was far less impressive, but being fair, I still don''t think finishing 13th was bad considering the absolute injury nightmare suffered, where at one point Roeder had the equivalent of a 15 man ''injury'' team of:

Harper

Carr, Bramble, Moore, Bernard

Solano, Dyer, Parker, Emre, Duff

Owen

Subs: Krul, Ameobi, Sibierski, N''Zogbia

Roeder showed his ability to bring through and develop youth players with the emergence of the likes of N''Zogbia, Taylor and Ramage, but also some savvy moves in the transfer market - particularly the signing of Obafemi Martins who has looked top class in this league and has consistently been the best player on the pitch at Newcastle since signing.

So, 2x7th place, a 13th place and a relegation during his time as a Premiership manager, hardly a poor performance.

If you want some interesting stats, how about this - during his time at Newcastle, Roeder notched up a win ratio of 45%, a ratio which is higher than ALL of the following managers:

Martin Jol, Mark Hughes, David Moyes, Martin O''Neill (Villa & Leicester), Steve Bruce, Harry Redknapp, Steve Tilson, Mike Newell, Neil Warnock and...Paul Jewell.

So despite outperforming over half the premiership managers currently in the game (and being fair I didn''t bother checking on people like Coleman and Southgate), along with almost every single one of the candidates most fans wanted, he''s apparently not very good according to the general opinion...

The only manager out of the realistic options I''ve seen quoted who could beat this ratio was Martin Allen, however that was for a 50% ratio at a lower level during his time at Brentford and not Championship/Premiership.

In the short time as manager, Roeder has already brought in a good quality centre half, a highly respected coach and former player as his assistant, is due to bring in his first team coach in the next week, and is rumoured to be looking to get more high profile loans from top premiership teams. Being honest since the first Mike Walker days, when was the last time we saw affirmative and positive action of this nature being taken by our manager?

The fact of the matter is that Roeder is a far, far better manager than many are giving him credit for, and his initial signs and comments since joining us have been good, if you don''t want Roeder as manager - that''s fine, everyone''s entitled to their opinion, but if this is the case, how about giving us some damn good reasons why...

Indy.... FANTASTIC POST! Back of the net!! Roeder is a great appointment, regardless of what smudger and co would have us believe....The start to the Roeder era has been good and solid, and we know have a base from which to build upon.....If im wrong and it is a disaster, i will hold my hands up, but i would rather have believed and been wrong then never believed at all....We need a united front against the scum and we need to create a massive atmosphere to shut the binners up.....COME ON YOU YELLOWS

A very good initial post  but the guy cannot be expected to turn things around over night. I fully expect to beat Ipsh*t Sunday(because even we can do that) but then  Roeder will need to be given some grace and cash to build the team he feels is best to claw us out of the mud we are in. I would hope to see our results slowly but surely improve in time for the mid season/christmas period and then fingers crossed raid the January sales, although this is at the mercy of the cook and the Turners(hold the protests till we really see how committed they are then)and then start the real climb back.

It is not yet beyond the realms of possibility that we could make a playoff place(a pipe dream I know)and still get promoted that way.

I will hold my hands up that I was not best pleased when Roeder was paraded as our new boss on Tuesday but you have to except it and give the bloke our full support because it''s not gonna change for a while now so there is no point getting on his back. At least this time we have appointed a manager and not a wannabee.

The initial signings of assistant and loanee are good so lets hope there are more to follow(coach etc).

I will(for the rest of the season) now give my full support to Glenn Roeder and the team he builds(not yet our board) my full support. I do not buy into this relegation theory, it''s not going to happen.

If when the January window opens and there is no cash made available we will then know that the problem is deffinetly  the board(as most reasonably educated supporters already know)then it will be the proper time to vocally call for their removal, but not just yet. 

I now have a good feeling about the rest of our season and feel that the season is now going to kick off starting the next few games(fingers and toes crossed).

OTBC.

Shoot me down in flames, but this is my gut feeling.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Confused of Thetford(pronounced Fetford or Thefthood).

Not a bad start to his career with us was it?

Be interesting to see if we play the same level of commitment and quality of play tonight against Watford.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]

Not a bad start to his career with us was it?

Be interesting to see if we play the same level of commitment and quality of play tonight against Watford.

[/quote]

Not even close, sadly.