Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Ron Davies [thread about the appeal]

Received this email which may be of interest...

Ron Davies is in need of a hip replacement. He has been living on a trailer park in Albuquerque, New Mexico, for the past few years and working as a roof tiler until recently when he was laid off because the hip got too bad. A few of us Saints fans have started a campaign to raise funds for Ron''s medical bills. The campaign was launched in the Southampton area last Friday, with lots of media coverage. Southampton FC got themselves involved last Sunday (at home to Cardiff) with a special programme, a video presentation shown on all the stadium screens at half-time and lots more - it has provided the Club with some positive publicity at a time when they most needed it (the parallels with NCFC are uncanny!).

Since launch we have had a number of messages (and donations) from Norwich fans, so I was wondering whether there would be any mileage in trying to persuade the fans and the Club to join in the fund raising campaign. We''ve tried to make this a celebratory thing with fans offering their thanks to a Saints legend - Ron (and I''m in touch with him) is a proud man and doesn''t like the idea of having to rely on charity, so we''ve shied away from collecting coins in buckets etc.

Have a look at our website www.giveittoron.co.uk to get a better idea of what we''re up to. We would be more than happy to open it up to Ron''s Norwich fans.

My first NCFC hero and I wouldn''t argue that we haven''t seen a better centre forward since. 50% of the crosses coming from the magical left foot of another hero, Billy Punton, went into the river but those that he put in the right area, having dazzled the full back from the reflection of the sun off his bald head, were invariably met by the towering figure of Ron Davies and ended up buried in the net. Sad to see the way things have turned out for him and I''ll certainly contribute. How we could do with him and Hughie Curran now.  

[quote user="Barry Brockes"]My first NCFC hero and I wouldn''t argue that we haven''t seen a better centre forward since. 50% of the crosses coming from the magical left foot of another hero, Billy Punton, went into the river but those that he put in the right area, having dazzled the full back from the reflection of the sun off his bald head, were invariably met by the towering figure of Ron Davies and ended up buried in the net. Sad to see the way things have turned out for him and I''ll certainly contribute. How we could do with him and Hughie Curran now.  [/quote]

Ah ,what memories. Billy''s boots had toecaps about the size of his head - probably explains why half his crosses finished in up in Boulton & Paul''s car park  [:D]

I  have to admit i cried when BIG RON was sold  60 thousand quid  i seem to remember , what would his value be in todays market , simply many millions . GET WELL SOON RON

[quote user="hockeymyhero"]I  have to admit i cried when BIG RON was sold  60 thousand quid  i seem to remember , what would his value be in todays market , simply many millions . GET WELL SOON RON[/quote]

...........and to think that today''s supporters moaned like hell because Earnshaw wasn''t sold for 5-6 million! Nothing has changed at Carrow Road in 40 years,has it. Our directors have always sold our best players for the first ''decent'' offer........... [;)]

[quote user="Barry Brockes"]My first NCFC hero and I wouldn''t argue that we haven''t seen a better centre forward since. 50% of the crosses coming from the magical left foot of another hero, Billy Punton, went into the river but those that he put in the right area, having dazzled the full back from the reflection of the sun off his bald head, were invariably met by the towering figure of Ron Davies and ended up buried in the net. Sad to see the way things have turned out for him and I''ll certainly contribute. How we could do with him and Hughie Curran now.  [/quote]

I just missed out on seeing Ron Davies play for City but I remember watching him play for Southampton and Wales.

According to "Glorious Canaries" ''Destroyer Davies was the best header of the ball that Mike Channon (or practically anyone else for that matter) has ever seen and he had Sir Matt Busby describing him as the best centre forward in Europe.''

We signed him from Luton and at the time Geoffrey Watling was reported to have said "If you fail the medical we''ll sack the doctor"

Ricky - Manning and Curran were a great pair for us and Curran was the next one sold for big money after Davies. If we could have kept both Davies and Curran together for longer who knows what may have been achieved. But as CID and others have pointed out  - it''s always been the same story.

I must add to my previous post on this brilliant player ,  I was a fan of this great club when BIG RON signed for us  [and still am ]  he was the best header of a ball i have ever seen and am likely to see in my lifetime . He had a special gift for such a tall man of hanging in mid-air and powering his headers by arching his neck mussels  to full impact on the ball A REAL  CITY  LEGEND  [ i think DEAN ASHTON could turn out nearly as good but oh we sold him as well.............COME ON CITY

My apologies to Ron that such a sour note has crept into this thread. Really, it''s better for some people just to keep quiet sometimes, regardless of how they may feel. It''s called civility.

I note the following from Wikipedia:

Ron was also a talented artist and his caricatures of his team-mates often featured in the local press.

If so, it might be a good idea for Archant to hunt through it''s (inherited?) archives, have some framed prints made, and auction them appropriately - prior to arranging to put them on sale (in the club shop?)

Ron would then be earning his own money, wouldn''t he?

Cue soupusses saying - well, if you do it for him then you have to do it for X, Y and Z - twaddle, I say.. Was any other City player a talented caricaturist?

Help Ron to help himself. Good grief, the maximum wage of 20 pounds/week was only scrapped in 1961. And Ron joined us in 1963 after starting his pro career in 1959.

How many good people do you know whose life savings were savaged by the government induced hyper-inflation of the late 1970''s?

Cut the crap guys.

Over to you Archant, if you have a heart.

OTBC (I''m only out of mourning for this one. Thanks for all those golden memories Ron, and keep strong).

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

My apologies to Ron that such a sour note has crept into this thread. Really, it''s better for some people just to keep quiet sometimes, regardless of how they may feel. It''s called civility.

Ron was also a talented artist and his caricatures of his team-mates often featured in the local press.

If so, it might be a good idea for Archant to hunt through it''s (inherited?) archives, have some framed prints made, and auction them appropriately - prior to arranging to put them on sale (in the club shop?)

Cue soupusses saying - well, if you do it for him then you have to do it for X, Y and Z - twaddle, I say.. Was any other City player a talented caricaturist?

Help Ron to help himself. Good grief, the maximum wage of 20 pounds/week was only scrapped in 1961. And Ron joined us in 1963 after starting his pro career in 1959.

How many good people do you know whose life savings were savaged by the government induced hyper-inflation of the late 1970''s?

Cut the crap guys.

OTBC (I''m only out of mourning for this one. Thanks for all those golden memories Ron, and keep strong).

[/quote]

More excellent input from you BlyBly and I could not agree with you more. In a situation such as this if you don''t have something positive to say then have the good sense to keep quiet on the subject. To do otherwise shows either a lack of being raised in the right manner or a poor memory as to what your parents should have taught you.

If Ron gets his hip done sharpish we could do worse than bring him in and put him up front for a few games.

(Actually he would probably be better than most of our dross even with the dodgy hip.)

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Cut the crap guys.

[/quote]

More excellent input from you BlyBly and I could not agree with you more. In a situation such as this if you don''t have something positive to say then have the good sense to keep quiet on the subject. To do otherwise shows either a lack of being raised in the right manner or a poor memory as to what your parents should have taught you.

[/quote]

Thanks BlyBly and Yankee for showing some dignity and proper behaviour . I will be making a donation to Ron because he was part of my growing up and he was the best centre forward we ever had .

I don''t need people to tell me whom to give my money to, i make my own mind up on that . My son and his friends hold a festival each year on my land , its become quite famous now with several hundreds attending,  all profits going to charity , this year they donated to a charity that is close to my heart ,bless them . I think quite a few on here will know what the charity is .

Yankee you are so right when you say being raised in the right manner . We had this old charter that hung in our house and i was expected to learn this off by heart as my brother had done before me and to live my life by this creed , which i have tried too do ,some say successfully. I will try to relate this to you what i remember of it ,please forgive if i can''t remember it all its been such a long time .

"Be on good terms with all persons .Speak your truth quietly & clearly ,and listen to others , even the dull & ignorant , they too have their story .Avoid loud &aggressive persons , they are vexations to the spirit .If you compare yourself with others you may become vain & bitter , for always there will be greater & lesser persons than yourself .

Enjoy your achievements as well as you plans .Keep interested in your own career, how ever humble , it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time . Exercise caution in your business affairs , for the world is full of trickery . But let this not blind you to what virtue there is many persons strive for high ideals , and everywhere life is full of heroism .

Be yourself. Especially ,do not feign affection . neither be cynical about love , for in the face of all aridity & disenchantment it is perennial as the grass .Take kindly the counsel of the years , gracefully surrendering the things of youth .Nurture strength of spirit to sheild you in sudden misfortune .But do not distress your self with imaginings.Many fears are born of fatigue & loneliness .

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees & the stars , you have a right to be here . And whether or not it is clear to you , no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should . Therefore be at peace with God , whatever you conceive him to be , and whatever your labours & aspirations , in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your self .

With all its sham , drudgery & broken dreams it is still a beautiful world ".

Ray.

[quote arrdee]

Yankee you are so right when you say being raised in the right manner .

My parents raised me to help and support, whenever I can, those selfless and brave people who protected me and my family whilst putting themselves into untold dangers.

Serviceman, Lifeboat crews, Police, Firefighters and Para medics and Nurses etc. They certainly never meant sodding footballers!.[:|]

I never saw him play but my Dad used to rave about him, hope he gets the treatment he needs and gets better soon.

Well Vince. That soon put an end to that, eh?

I suppose there''s not too many of us around on this board who can remember Ron Davies in his pomp; quite possibly the best striker ever to have played for City.

OTBC

I remember him playing for Southampton after he left us and the season he scored 37 top flight goals. It''s a record that still stands 40 years later.

Quotes from the Telegragh : -

His part in the 4-1 win against a Manchester United team including Best, Charlton and Law prompted Busby''s assertion that he was Europe''s leading striker.

"I have still got the tape," said Davies, "and when I see the way I could jump in the air, I do think, ''Hell man, that was a talent''."

He puts his phenomenal aerial ability down to a training regime which involved wearing heavy army boots and jumping over hurdles. "When I took those boots off, I felt I could jump over the moon. But I was told it would catch up with me –it is my left hip, the leg I took off on."

He wasn''t here that long but we must have had a good scouting system back then to sign him before the big clubs got a sniff. Just as we did when we got David Cross a few years later.