Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

lets quash this 'squad is good enough' tosh once and for all!

i keep seeing people saying the squad is good enough - including jimbo duffy, yet how many times has this been said about teams - some of which escape and others that don''t.  most recently forest.  i seem to remember people saying the squad was too good too go down under deehan, last time under worthy was different.  this type of complacency costs lives - as city fans form queue for the scaffold come may!  i don''t buy it - we''re at the bottom cos the squad isn''t good enough.   we''re a lightweight team with no bite, mental toughness, leaders and fight - which is bad news when you''re bottom and cut adrift - those are exactly the qualities you need to escape the drop.so who''s good enough, and who doesn''t cut it??? based on their ability to get us safe from RELEGATION:-

Marshall - good enough, mostly.  flappy on crosses.  OK.

Otsemobor - defensive nightmare - not good enough. mistake ridden, nowhere near eddy.  BIN.

Murray - ok centre back but thats all, makes errors when tired - could

be good enough if fit enough - is a nightmare at leftback though?  JURY OUT.

Shacks - still losing concentration and making mistakes - better with a settled player alongside like dublin. OK

dublin - makes mistakes, good leader - but too old to play all the time - BIN

doc - looked better of late - but not upto malky standard and makes mistakes - takes too long to get fit after injury - a luxury we can''t afford right now.  BIN

Drury - looking better this year for me - still good enough.  OK

Hucks - injuries and age not helping - still quality, but unless he

scoring and creating then too much of a defensive liability.  good

enough, esp when fully fit again  OK

Jarvis - lightweight - league 1 standard for me. BIN

Russell - lots of energy - hampered by lack of a good midfield partner - JURY OUT. 

brellier - lacks energy to say the least.  if we ever see him fully fit?? not good enough at present.  BIN

smith.  - not seen him play.  JURY OUT

Lappin - lightweight - occasional decent cross, but clueless on goal assists.  BIN

Hartson - too fat and old/unfit - we should be getting a younger fitter version in.  BIN

Strihavka - trys hard, no real chances - outfought by stout defenders.  not good enough.  BIN

fozzy - better now fitter - not good enough though.   BIN

brown - league 1 for me.  BIN

Spillane - better in midfield - has promise, thats all just now.  next season player. BIN FOR NOW

Croft - gives his all - unable to supply quality crosses or goal assists.  but, could be good enough. OK

Martin - good enough, but confidence shot to bits.  loan him out - he''ll score plenty for incy. BIN FOR NOW

cureton - proved he can do it - why not with us.  good enough. OK

i think we''re short of a right back, decent centre half for shax to partner, a creative midfielder, a strike partner for curo (howard would do, a fitter version of hartson).  so yeah, i reckon the squad is not upto it, even with a decent manager in (lets hope so).  i reckon it would take £2-3m to get the players in, most on loan - a price well worth paying to escape the drop.

I repeat we have no goals, pace, quality and our defending as a unit is not good enough, the squad has relegation written all over it, at best lower regions of championship.

[quote user="nc1902"]tell we hucks has done recently to deserve to stay that dion hasnt?without dublin we wouldve been relegated LAST season.[/quote]nope, without martin and huck (scoring 11 goals when earnie was injured) we''d have been relegated.  dion was making mistakes in defence last year as well - his defending against burnley away was cringeworthy - i recall suggesting he had given his all for the club, but shouldn''t be kept on for this season.  dion has admitted being at fault for cardiff goals this term - agree he''s a stout hearted player and leader - but as the pitches get heavier, he''s not the answer to save us.  many fans were asking were our new central defender was pre-season - he never arrived, and we''re paying the price now.  i''m worried about hux form- but as his goal against bristol showed, if he can get fully fit, he can still do it.  IMO

[quote user="nc1902"]tell we hucks has done recently to deserve to stay that dion hasnt?

without dublin we wouldve been relegated LAST season.
[/quote]

Oh ffs!

Relying on players like Dublin is just one of the multitude of reasons why this club will never go anywhere!

We aren''t good enough...and we don''t have the strength of character for a relegation battle. It''s a team on it''s way to League One and no manager would be able to get enough out of them over a sustained period to do otherwise. I reckon the derby game will prove things one way or the other...either we get hammered and show we don''t have it...or we get a result and show there is some degree of fight.

I still say that every one of these players needs to go if we are to be a serious force...but of course we don''t have the funding or ambition to do that. A good hard look at the low standard of this league shows just how bad we are to be at the bottom....and that is very worrying indeed.

so who''s good enough, and who doesn''t cut it??? based on their ability to get us safe from RELEGATION:-

Marshall - good enough, mostly.  flappy on crosses.  OK. agree

Otsemobor - defensive nightmare - not good enough. mistake ridden, nowhere near eddy.  BIN. agree

Murray - ok centre back but thats all, makes errors when tired - could

be good enough if fit enough - is a nightmare at leftback though?  JURY OUT.  keep

Shacks - still losing concentration and making mistakes - better with a settled player alongside like dublin. OK  agree

dublin - makes mistakes, good leader - but too old to play all the time - BIN nope, keep - good for morale/youngsters

doc - looked better of late - but not upto malky standard and makes mistakes - takes too long to get fit after injury - a luxury we can''t afford right now.  BIN agree

Drury - looking better this year for me - still good enough.  OK totally disagree, long ball merchant

Hucks - injuries and age not helping - still quality, but unless he

scoring and creating then too much of a defensive liability.  good

enough, esp when fully fit again  OK disagree, he''s a luxury we can''t afford whilst bottom of the league - harsh but threu I''m afraid

Jarvis - lightweight - league 1 standard for me. BIN  totally agree, he''s not good enough for league 1 either

Russell - lots of energy - hampered by lack of a good midfield partner - JURY OUT.  keep, will battle in the basement dogfight

brellier - lacks energy to say the least.  if we ever see him fully fit?? not good enough at present.  BIN ok if fit, if not - BIN

smith.  - not seen him play.  JURY OUT agree

Lappin - lightweight - occasional decent cross, but clueless on goal assists.  BIN agree

Hartson - too fat and old/unfit - we should be getting a younger fitter version in.  BIN disagree, we won''t get younger versions - we''re bottom of the league so he''s all we can attract - harsh but true

Strihavka - trys hard, no real chances - outfought by stout defenders.  not good enough.  BIN agree, his 2nd touch is a tackle!

fozzy - better now fitter - not good enough though.   BIN  agree

brown - league 1 for me.  BIN agree

Spillane - better in midfield - has promise, thats all just now.  next season player. BIN FOR NOW  keep, will come good

Croft - gives his all - unable to supply quality crosses or goal assists.  but, could be good enough. OK  hmmm, jury out for me, still looks overweight, not a 90min player

Martin - good enough, but confidence shot to bits.  loan him out - he''ll score plenty for incy. BIN FOR NOW loan is good idea

cureton - proved he can do it - why not with us.  good enough. OK  needs the service that he got at Colchester, will try for the cause tho

i think we''re short of a right back, decent centre half for shax to partner, a creative midfielder, a strike partner for curo (howard would do, a fitter version of hartson).  agree, plus a new left backso yeah, i reckon the squad is not upto it, even with a decent manager in (lets hope so).  i reckon it would take £2-3m to get the players in, most on loan - a price well worth paying to escape the drop.

So going on that list you have up the top there only Drury and Cureton are any good.

Christ it would be one hell of a change around if you were manager..

Good analysis lucky green trainers I am glad somebody agrees with me about Ostemobor fantastic going forward but rubbish at defending, can''t tackle, gets caught out of position, doesn''t read the,game we ought to be able to do better. The one thing I don''t agree is Russell, thought he was poor first time around, wasn''t overly impressed with him last year when he came here with Stoke just doesn''t have it for me should be shot of in my view. Dion is worth keeping but he really ought to be a bench player we can bring on as necessary not someone we have to positively rely on every match. I to am sick and tired of people, notably Neil Adams, running on about the quality of the squad, in the final analysis the league table doesn''t lie we are rock bottom and deservedly so, no matter much how it pains me to admit it. The thought of the mob down the road crowing next week is going to be pure emabrrassment, thank you Board. Like to think we might beat them but unless we have a new man in and he can get a couple of decent loan oplayers in critical positions can''t say I am at all optimistic.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]
so who''s good enough, and who doesn''t cut it???

based on their ability to get us safe from RELEGATION:-

Marshall - good enough, mostly.  flappy on crosses.  OK.

Otsemobor - defensive nightmare - not good enough. mistake ridden, nowhere near eddy.  Would a new manager be able to teach him better defensive discipline? His blistering pace makes him worth keeping.

Murray - ok centre back but thats all, makes errors when tired - could be good enough if fit enough - is a nightmare at leftback though?  JURY OUT.

Shacks - still losing concentration and making mistakes - better with a settled player alongside like dublin. Not good enough, something is wrong if he needs a better player alongside him to make him look good. Bench player.

dublin - makes mistakes, good leader - but too old to play all the time - No harm in having him around the place, valuable experience.

doc - looked better of late - but not upto malky standard and makes mistakes - takes too long to get fit after injury - a luxury we can''t afford right now.  A much more important player than everybody realises. He''s a far better defender than Jason Shackell and if the crowd get off his back it''ll only improve his confidence. He''s there for the cause.

Drury - looking better this year for me - still good enough.  OK

Hucks - injuries and age not helping - still quality, but unless he scoring and creating then too much of a defensive liability.  good enough, esp when fully fit again  OK

Jarvis - lightweight - league 1 standard for me. BIN League 1? Hmmm...a bottom of the table League 1 side at best. No pace, no real motor and unable to play any telling passes.

Russell - lots of energy - hampered by lack of a good midfield partner - JURY OUT. 

brellier - lacks energy to say the least.  if we ever see him fully fit?? not good enough at present.  BIN

smith.  - not seen him play.  JURY OUT

Lappin - lightweight - occasional decent cross, but clueless on goal assists.  Feel sorry for him, he''s a sensible kind of player. I think if Norwich were playing well he''d be a good player to have in the squad.

Hartson - too fat and old/unfit - we should be getting a younger fitter version in.  If his fitness improves then he''ll be a good aquisition. Proven track record.

Strihavka - trys hard, no real chances - outfought by stout defenders.  not good enough.  Probably a bench player if Norwich were doing well.

fozzy - better now fitter - not good enough though.   Have to wait and see, looked realy hungry when he came on against Southampton, if he''s got that when he comes back from injury then he could do very well.

brown - league 1 for me.  Works hard, not a bad footballer to be fair. Squad player.

Spillane - better in midfield - has promise, thats all just now.  next season player. BIN FOR NOW

Croft - gives his all - unable to supply quality crosses or goal assists.  but, could be good enough. OK Still a young lad and would surely benefit from the confidence and experience of regular starts.

Martin - good enough, but confidence shot to bits.  loan him out - he''ll score plenty for incy. A long way to go for him. I like him because he''s not afraid to pull the trigger but still he''s quite a way off being ready for this standard of football on a regular basis.

cureton - proved he can do it - why not with us.  good enough. OK Quite often I''ve found him to be lazy. Gets to hide behind there being a lack of service for not scoring but then he never really tries to force the issue for himself.

i think we''re short of a right back, decent centre half for shax to partner, a creative midfielder, a strike partner for curo (howard would do, a fitter version of hartson). 

I think we need another centreback too but for me it''d be to replace Shackell. Although I don''t think the Doc is the answer in the long run he''s better than Shacks. Definitely in need of another midfielder and striker as well. And that''s been the case since the summer, it was obvious we needed those players. Been let down by the board.

[/quote]